Upgraded sidewalks for downtown Winston

ncbrian

When people think of downtown redevelopment everyone looks skyward to new towers or renovated factory/warehouse space but no one looks down at their feet. One thing I believe that we help downtown redevelopment is a consistent sidewalk plan that ties in all of the various areas that comprise downtown. Most every street downtown had a sidewalk that serves pedistrians quite well enough. But I think we can do better. A vibrant downtown community is a walking community and if your stroll is comfortable and attractive, people will be more incline to walk around and perhaps explore a bit.

There is the Strollway from Fourth St to the Old Salem area that best serves as a model of what I am talking about. Walking this path takes you through the downtown and into the neighbourhoods. Fourth St along the restaurant row section is quite attractive since the rebuilding of the street a few years ago and the Arts District is enhanced by its sidewalk treatment. But that is all there is. What we need is more of this landscape feature. Some places use brick pavers as an upscale version of a sidewalk but there are problems with it in that in cold damp conditions, they can be slippery. There is the problem of loose pavers as well that need to be fixed regularly. Concrete sidewalks by themselves are functional, inexpensive and hard-wearing but are singluarly boring. The best situation is probably is what in place now on the above mentioned routes: a defined walking area done in concrete but given some extra care so as not to look too utiliarian and defined borders. Depending on the width of the sidewalk, benches and trees every so many section.

But where to put them? My first inclination is continue what was started on Fourth St to the West End Village development and right into the West End itself ending probably at Grace Court. I would also do Sixth St from the Gallery Lofts to about Marshall St where it can meet up with Fourth St. Main St definitely needs an upgrade starting from Sixth St and going south all the way to the Gateway development though much of that path already exists south of Business - 40. That would be a start but expansion into the residential areas is also a must too at some point.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats a good idea and i bet its not one that downtown leaders think about. the work done on fourth st. is excellent IMO, especially through PTRP. if this could be implemented on other "main" streets then these too could see the same success. 5th, now that Twin City Quarter is open, Burke,and Liberty make good candidates.

Luckily the West End Village and Goler will have manicured sidewalks, trees and gas lamps. The city agreed to make the upgrades for WEV late last year.

speaking of sidewalks...

NCDOT will be conducting a traffic study thoughout downtown, which could produce suggestions for sidewalk upgrades? they did the same thing for 4th st, when making it a 2-way and the city invested in a new streetscape. Also, i just read the agenda for the 4-17 council meeting. sidewalk upgrades on 4th from marshall to cherry in front of the Nissen building are planned.

speaking of sidewalks...

NCDOT will be conducting a traffic study thoughout downtown, which could produce suggestions for sidewalk upgrades? they did the same thing for 4th st, when making it a 2-way and the city invested in a new streetscape. Also, i just read the agenda for the 4-17 council meeting. sidewalk upgrades on 4th from marshall to cherry in front of the Nissen building are planned.

Should not that have been something that the developer should have done as part of the renovation? Also, the Presbreytarian Church near the Nissen building is having major construction along Cherry. Could not the council encourage a sidewalk upgrade as well connecting up to Fourth St?

Archived