Greenville Municipal Stadium site

whitehourseview

Apparently, the city is in the process of taking bids for the Municipal Stadium site off of Mauldin Road.

The site is over 40 acres and goes to the Reedy River.

If you were in charge, what would you do with the site?

Sell it whole?

Sell part of it?

My .02 is that I would like for the road front parcle to be sold to private developers, but I would like the large majority of it saved as a recreation district park, sorta like the Anderson County sports complex or the Cherry Road Park in Rock Hill, a facility that Greenville doesnt really have. Tear down most of the stadium grandstands, but save the field as an American Legion ball capable facility and put in softball fields, soccer and football fields, tennis courts, and walking trails looping around the propery leading to the Reedy River.

These sort of facilities can be quite profitable with weekend tournaments and such.

What say ye?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Easley has done wonders with their Big League World Series every year. Would they be opposed to relocating it to the old Greenville Municipal Stadium if it were to be turned into a park such as what you've suggested, I wonder? I do feel it may make a nice regional park, including the ball field and some of the grand stands remaining.

My .02 is that I would like for the road front parcle to be sold to private developers, but I would like the large majority of it saved as a recreation district park, sorta like the Anderson County sports complex or the Cherry Road Park in Rock Hill, a facility that Greenville doesnt really have. Tear down most of the stadium grandstands, but save the field as an American Legion ball capable facility and put in softball fields, soccer and football fields, tennis courts, and walking trails looping around the propery leading to the Reedy River.

These sort of facilities can be quite profitable with weekend tournaments and such.

What say ye?

Heritage Park in Simpsonville sounds comparable to what you are thinking about. I don't know what the expected completion date for all of the fields, but the facilities that are there now are top-notch. Prior to opening, the park was booked solid every weekend throughout its first summer (last year). Clearly there is a demand for such facilities.

Definitely agree with the ideas above. A large regional park would be perfect! Isn't there a project to make Lake Conestee into a park and isn't the stadium right beside this land? Could be one large park! Also, I thought the long range plans for the greenway system have it running all the way down to Lake Conestee....this would be perfect to have the old stadium site and Lake Conestee as one large regional park connected to downtown via Greenway. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I snapped a few photos at the old stadium (I won't honor it with ballpark) this weekend. When I get a chance I'll post those, alongside the new ballpark shots. How did we ever live without West End Field? The old stadium was pretty sad. That said, hopefully the old stadium will find a new life for high school / local teams.

Over a decade ago, the stadium was occasionally used for volleyball tournaments. Maybe something could be worked out with the school system, just as you said, gsupstate. Then again, I'd prefer those kind of activities to take place in the City of Greenville, if not actually downtown somewhere.

Ever seen a map of the boundaries of the city? Municipal Stadium looks like a tear drop coming down from the south of the city, as it is in city boundaries. Considering it was built over 3 months in '83/84 and virtually no infrastructure improvements were done on it afterwards, it's held up relatively well.

I miss events there like seeing Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Andruw Jones, John Smoltz play there and the great ACC baseball Tournament run down that way.

I still think that the property would make an incredible health and sports facility to link up with the new Conestee Park.

If that were to happen, I would definitely want to see Mauldin Road get a face lift from I-85 all the way to Mauldin. That stretch between the interstate and the stadium is desperately lacking quality development, IMO. Remember too, that the future Conestee Nature Park will be a big attraction to that very same area, so it is possible that improvements will eventually come.

If that were to happen, I would definitely want to see Mauldin Road get a face lift from I-85 all the way to Mauldin. That stretch between the interstate and the stadium is desperately lacking quality development, IMO.

Agreed!

The problem with Mauldin rd is the sewer facility located right off of 85 I don't know about everyone else but I really hate driving past there on a hot day.

The smell from that facility really harms the chances of any first-rate development nearby- the aroma can drift even past Rockingham Road.

I agree that the sewer treatment facility is a hindrance to that site. It makes you wonder why they ever chose to put a baseball stadium just down the road.

The reason they put the stadium there is because the land was cheap and still is, but it doesn't matter anymore now because we have a new, great place to watch baseball.

• 1 month later...

I agree that the sewer treatment facility is a hindrance to that site. It makes you wonder why they ever chose to put a baseball stadium just down the road.

Back in the mid-to-late 80's, if memory serves, some local developers (I think Champ Covington was one of them) came up with a serious proposal to move the Mauldin Road sewage treatment facility several miles downstream, and fund it by selling off and developing the current site. At the time, the plant was planning some major improvements, and they were trying to convince the Sewer Authority that building from scratch combined with selling off the land would be a better investment. I don't remember the numbers, but obviously the Sewer Authority decided against it. So, the plant is definitely there to stay.

Having grown up in whiffing distance of the plant in the 60's and 70's, I can say that it isn't nearly as bad now as it was back then. I can't remember the last time I caught the odor at my parents' house.

I knew some people in high school who went into the plant a few times to ride the "whirly turds," which were round, uncovered reservoirs that had rotating metal contraptions over them. I'd hate to think what might have happened if one of those idiots had fallen in.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I noticed this from the TRAC report that was linked to earlier. Very good news for the Municipal Stadium complex and I am glad there is the potential for it to remain the home of local baseball:

http://greenvilleforward.com/TRAC%20PLAN/T...0Components.htm

The great access to I-385 and I-85, the connection of the Reedy River greenway from Travelers Rest to the Lake Conestee Nature Preserve, and the location within the county all make this site ideal for a major tournament complex. Families visiting the facility will be able to take advantage of Lake Conestee Nature Preserve, and the area restaurants and hotels in downtown Greenville and Mauldin. The facility would also serve as a monthly concert venue in the summer and for Freedom Weekend Aloft.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived