Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Great job Byrde. You beat me to it. Perkins Rowe was one of my next destinations. I just learned how to post pics in thread, but they were nightime shots that really did not come out. So daytime/dusk pics will probably come-out better. The pile-driver was really impressive at the construction site. Don't get to see those everyday. And the icon "Perkins Rowe" looks cool lit'-up at night too. Great choice.

Do you work in the Shaw Bldg.or United Plaza ? Just curious bec. that's a really great-view ! Could you get a shot in the opposite direction going towards Downtown ?

And the icon "Perkins Rowe" looks cool lit'-up at night too. Great choice.

I thought so, too. It appears as though it's meant to resemble an old smokestack atop an old building or something. Am I right in this? I'm basing this assessment purely on the one photo I've seen of it.

Great job Byrde. You beat me to it. Perkins Rowe was one of my next destinations. I just learned how to post pics in thread, but they were nightime shots that really did not come out. So daytime/dusk pics will probably come-out better. The pile-driver was really impressive at the construction site. Don't get to see those everyday. And the icon "Perkins Rowe" looks cool lit'-up at night too. Great choice.

Do you work in the Shaw Bldg.or United Plaza ? Just curious bec. that's a really great-view ! Could you get a shot in the opposite direction going towards Downtown ?

I work in the United Plaza Complex. I have a shot of Downtown from my building, but I forgot to upload to my host for pics. I'll get it up in the next few days.

I'll be glad when something is done with this unfinish dormitory on the Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Campus. It has been sitting there like this for about 20 years now.

69184836-M.jpg

It was built about the same time as this one below. It was also built as a dorm, but has since been converted into an apartment building.

69184830-M.jpg

Edited by byrde

That unfinished dormitory is called the Saigon Hilton. What an eye-sore. But GOOD NEWS ! Wampold Companies purchased the land over a year ago and plans are for a 4-Star Hotel. It should be soon, it just taking some time. I am curious if it will be demolished or not ? I would like them to keep the 12-story height because it will keep it more highly visible for commuters on I-10. It is about 1/2 mile from I-10.

We used to call that ugly complex "Six Flags Over Jesus" when I was at LSU. They should just tear it down and start over. Bleah....

Six Flags Over Jesus! :lol:

I think it should be Six Flags Over Fraud, to be quite frank. I never did believe Jimmy Swaggart was for real and still don't. Looks like a lot of stuff built on the backs of the naive.

Nice pics Byrde, keep em' coming. The big oak trees around the Courthouse are impressive. Soon a NEW state-of-the-art, safer and larger Courthouse will be built on next door's parking lot at the Municipal Bldg.

Do you know when that building was built? I also like the old oaks infront of the building. The trees actually make is difficult to get a good shot of the whole building.