Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

I think they're sorta neat but creepy. It's kinda funny how we went from one "extreme" to another (taking down the confederate monuments and putting up nude androgynes). If they're actually for their stated purpose though, I like them. I think what would be neat permanently would be to have the same type of sculptures depicting scenes and wildlife in Baton Rouge history.

Edited by dan326

Just a tidbit for anyone who didn't know. We had a confederate monument where the sobriety statue is now in front of the court house on North boulevard. I think they took it down when they renovated the square. Not saying my mentality is correct, but I just viewed it as an interesting relic. 

Maybe when they renovate the plaza they can put a statue of Houma and Istrouma Indians in front of the red stick fountain.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richyb83 said:

The Istrouma & Houma Indians statues in front of red stick fountain would be cool Dan :thumbsup:

Thought this was a cool pic from Business Report the other day...wish the other side of Watermark could be shown with Logo beamed up on exterior...& wish the illuminated glass on Courthouse was not blocked...but still a cool pic..reminds me of Antrell's nice night time photos

Won't let me show it saying Remove Formatting

My Computer had been giving me problems on a different site recently....had Re-boot everything...NOW Imageshack photo's gone?? Their site NO LONGER Free? Want you to pay? No thanks...i'll find different way to post pics

Edited by richyb83

10 hours ago, richyb83 said:

My Computer had been giving me problems on a different site recently....had Re-boot everything...NOW Imageshack photo's gone?? Their site NO LONGER Free? Want you to pay? No thanks...i'll find different way to post pics

I think you can just paste the url now inside this message box and it'll automatically format it so that you don't have to use image quotes.

Also you can upload directly to the message board from your machine.

Click choose files... ->select in the explore -> Open

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Well New Orleans isn't Baton Rouge, it likely would have played out differently.
Each neighborhood could have artwork depicting it's history.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There are some really good night-time shots in this gallery, great work on the lighting.  Also, I noticed a theme in your photos:  Girls, Cars, and Skylines.  Keep living the dream!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Imageshack & Photobucket Suck & are no longer free....just Signed up w Imjur....still learning this new set-up

It would be nice to see some updated Downtown Constructions pics.....hopefully in coming weeks i figure this thing out as Summer flies by.....otherwise my posting pics days are done :dontknow:

*TESTING* trying to post older pic

R72iofX.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found this online when I searched Perkins Rowe. Is this photo actually of Perkins Rowe? It's very nice! I'm getting ready to do some AutoCAD drawings of some mixed-use building concepts I have in my mind (nothing that will be built, just some concepts I'd like to draw up), and this photo gives me inspiration for that! I especially love the curved building on the corner here.

18.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catfish said:

I found this online when I searched Perkins Rowe. Is this photo actually of Perkins Rowe? It's very nice! I'm getting ready to do some AutoCAD drawings of some mixed-use building concepts I have in my mind (nothing that will be built, just some concepts I'd like to draw up), and this photo gives me inspiration for that! I especially love the curved building on the corner here.

18.jpg

Yes Brian...that's Perkins Rowe...i like the curved buildings too. Was dubbed an Urban Village in the suburbs ... It's just a shame Perkins Rowe didn't get to build everything in the original plan.   The new Hampton Inn Downtown has that too....glad to see some modern mixed in with the historical too...it had been plenty bland.

With each passing year ...it looks like the 450'ft State Capitol will forever remain BR's Tallest Skyscraper...built in 1932 <_<

DSCN1482.thumb.JPG.ab8b9c64e0a0d660ccc742e2f0508318.JPG

Richy, I didn't realize Perkins Rowe didn't build everything they had planned. It's still very nice. I saw another photo looking down the main street with palm trees lining it... looks like something out of California or Florida. Very nice.

And about the state capitol being the tallest building... who knows what the future will bring. Just think, at one time people in Austin probably had similar thoughts, but now look at it! That said, however, I often think the same about our tallest building... will it forever be the tallest? It was built in the early 80s before the big oil boom of the 70s and 80s went bust around here. Had that not happened, I wonder how many more big buildings would have been built downtown. I try not to think in "what ifs"; sometimes you just can't help it, though.

It pains me to admit this, but I honestly believe Baton Rouge has a lot more potential than Shreveport. Already it seems much larger, when the population really isn't that much higher. But it just has a much larger city feel to it. Be it the traffic, Perkins Rowe, the nice LSU campus, or whatever, I'm not exactly sure, but something about it just feels a bit more "metropolitan", for lack of a better word.

That said, I'm still a "homer" and wouldn't trade my hometown for anything. But if I had to move to Baton Rouge for anything, I don't think I'd be disappointed. However, I don't see myself moving south but I may be moving out of state eventually, to the upper Midwest to be closer to my wife's father. I have no more ties here except for my brothers. Both of my parents died a few years ago, and they were honestly the only reason I had to stay here, except for my fondness for my hometown and state.

Anyway, chin up dude... like I said, I really think Baton Rouge has a lot of potential, and I really think it's a more forward-thinking city than my own hometown. And again, it pains me to think that but I can't help it; it just seems true.

• Like 4

On 8/12/2017 at 8:59 AM, Catfish said:

It pains me to admit this, but I honestly believe Baton Rouge has a lot more potential than Shreveport. Already it seems much larger, when the population really isn't that much higher. But it just has a much larger city feel to it. Be it the traffic, Perkins Rowe, the nice LSU campus, or whatever, I'm not exactly sure, but something about it just feels a bit more "metropolitan", for lack of a better word.

BR metro is almost 1 million people. I think we're at the 800,000 mark. We'll probably surpass the 1 million mark before mid century. But having family in Shreveport, yes it's much bigger. At least you guys have an interstate loop. God bless that. Wish we had it.

16 hours ago, cajun said:

Perkins Rowe appears to be the most successful development I've ever seen that actually went belly up.  

They are building more housing, but I'm not sure of the format.  

Cajun, I'd love to hear your detailed thoughts about Perkins...it's truly an enigma to me.

My bad, I was talking about the city alone, but I guess you do have to factor in the rest of the metro area. City stats lie when you've got suburban areas adding to the population. That said, that does make metro BTR twice as large. But it definitely makes a difference. That explains why it reminds me a lot of Oklahoma City.

12 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

Cajun, I'd love to hear your detailed thoughts about Perkins...it's truly an enigma to me.

Not much to say.  A lot of bigger developments built in 2006-2007 really struggled shortly after opening due to the recession.   

PR has done well maintaining the retail tenants despite a few spaces that have remained empty or seen more turnover than I would have liked.  It took a long time for people to warm up to the residential component.   I think it is a bold development whose long term health will depend on its ability to attract businesses that are valued by the local Baton Rouge community (like Coffee Call or Walk-On's).  The additional residential development is being added finally.     I think a 70-100 room hotel would do well there.

The new connection to Mall of La blvd will help the Perkins Rowe area a lot.   I think the developer should have been required to build the street where it bordered his frontage when he constructed Perkins Rowe, but that's me.   

The developer spun off a piece of infrastructure critical to the development and shielded it from being repo'd by the lenders during the recession.   Some would call that clever, others would call that corrupt.   

I'd rather not dive into criticism of the development from an architectural standpoint.    I think the retail mix is nice, and I don't dislike the development. :)

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, Catfish said:

That's definitely it.  My wife liked that Charming Charlie back when we lived there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a sweet pic of a double rainbow. The one on top is very light but I actually saw the main one touch the ground. I was really tempted to get out and look for gold but I saw someone had already parked on the side of the road near it, lol! Hopefully this is our covenant that the water won't come here anytime soon.

IMG_20170829_165001557.jpg

Edited by dan326
  • Like 3