Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Sterling North Gate near LSU almost complete(posted by NCB #39 BR Dev. Feb 3rd). More University housing on the right. A residential building boom is going on around LSU.

downtown0021kt.jpg

Very cool, Richy... it definitely appears to be a boom. Wow. LSU is such a large university, this can only be a good thing for a school of that size.

Yes, it's crazy over in the Northgate area. Some places around the demolished shopping center are hard to recognize, they even tore down the Mc Donalds. I think there is supposed to be 953-new units total from 4 different developers. That's not including the new Sports Lofts or the new housing around the PMAC !

Yes, it's crazy over in the Northgate area. Some places around the demolished shopping center are hard to recognize, they even tore down the Mc Donalds. I think there is supposed to be 953-new units total from 4 different developers. That's not including the new Sports Lofts or the new housing around the PMAC !

The off-campus housing in BR is exploding. I'm more interested in the development going on in Northgate, since I live in that area, and it's within walking distance of campus. The Southgate area is cool too...can't wait to see that 18 story Southgate tower go up!

But as far as off-campus neighborhoods go, my favorite is the area around the Perkins/Christian St. intersection (next to the overpass). There are countless houses/apts/condos in the area occupied by students, and there are several bars/restaurants in the area w/in walking distance. It's on the other side of the lakes from LSU, though, so it's good walk to class. Most people just ride bikes or drive.

Edited by bluff2085

Yeah bluff 2085, that Perkins Rd. overpass is a very unique area. The St. Patrick's Day parade is impressive rolling right thru there. Chelsea's moved(from LSU) to the overpass too, I really like the new sign they put up on the side of the overpass.

Edited by richyb83

Yeah bluff 2085, that Perkins Rd. overpass is a very unique area. The St. Patrick's Day parade is impressive rolling right thru there. Chelsea's moved(from LSU) to the overpass too, I really like the new sign they put up on the side of the overpass.

You guys have a St. Patty's parade down there? AWESOME. Seems we celebrate everything here except that day. I love the parade in Chicago and would love to actually catch it in person some year. Too bad most of my trips to the Windy City come later in the year rather than earlier.

Very cool, guys. :)

I am suprised Shreveport has no St. Patrick parade. From what I have seen Chi-town's parade rocks !

Me too, but we've never had one. :( I think it would be cool. And yeah, in Chicago, they always color the Chicago River green... how cool would it be to experience that firsthand!?!?!

Another nice photo there, Richy! Looks like a cool old building too! :thumbsup:

And BTW, I'm also surpised to hear that Shreveport has no Saint Patrick's Day parade, I guess I just always went under the assumption that it did. New Orleans has a pretty big one, and I love it! I've heard the one in Baton Rouge is pretty nice too. :thumbsup:

Another nice photo there, Richy! Looks like a cool old building too! :thumbsup:

And BTW, I'm also surpised to hear that Shreveport has no Saint Patrick's Day parade, I guess I just always went under the assumption that it did. New Orleans has a pretty big one, and I love it! I've heard the one in Baton Rouge is pretty nice too. :thumbsup:

I believe Bossier City has tried one... and may still be putting one on... but if so it's tiny and receives minimal publicity.

I'd love to even see the one in New Orleans sometime, in the event I don't get to see the one in Chi-Town.

I'd love to even see the one in New Orleans sometime, in the event I don't get to see the one in Chi-Town.

The event is actually pretty large around New Orleans. There are multiple parades outside of the city, in places like Metairie/Kenner, an I believe Houma and Chalmette have parades too.

Good question. I think it's use is general office; business/commerce/trade, according to a historical website

I was thinking it would be used as an office building, but wasn't completely sure. Do you know if there are any small retail shops at the bottom of the building, Richy? Seeing retail shops in a building like that is very common around here nowadays.

I'm not sure about that building ? But you are right, there is some small retail on the ground floor around there on Third Street. The retail should increase as soon as these residential projects finally come thru.

I'm just the average idiot. Trying to "quote" the reply, I accidentally had the wrong pic. posted. Ooops !

I'm not sure about that building ? But you are right, there is some small retail on the ground floor around there on Third Street. The retail should increase as soon as these residential projects finally come thru.

I'm just the average idiot. Trying to "quote" the reply, I accidentally had the wrong pic. posted. Ooops !

:lol:

I was wondering about that photo!

Great job Nate. Thanks

Yall are beast with all the post tonite with 1st and 2nd place ! Incredible. I can't believe I'm in 9th place.

Haha, no problem man. And yea, just check out the Lagniappe thread to see what we've been talking about to get us that many posts. ;)

And hey, 9th place is a nice spot! You have enough time to spend and contribute to the forum, but you also have a life, unlike me and Brian! ;)