Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

This thing sounds crazy!, but I bet it would still be awesome! From what I read I would think it would look something like this, maybe a more utilitarian St. Louis arch? I think I might have made it a little too tall though.

untitledkc8.png

Man that is wild.

I had suggested that a Red Stick Observation Tower be built; I even brought a sketch to the riverfront plan meeting. Everybody liked it; it was gonna be located near the Municipal Dock just south of the I-10 Bridge. Someting at least 300'ft. opposite bookend from State Capitol. So the RiverFront people actually implemented a smaller version( not sure if 100'ft; or more??) on the northern edge of the batture. Better than nothing; but not actually what I had in mind. I'll try to look for the rendering :thumbsup:

^Nice try Dan; you have a good imagination. That would be a cool looking iconic structure BR can be proud of.....but

I just bought a copy of BusinessReport this afternoon; they have Trahan's rendering...it looks crazy; but very modern/ cutting-edge; more so than Shaw Center. Nothing like it in the world they say!! I will be very impressed if they could pull-it-off. The condo's, construction, wouldn't be $$ cheap!

I could try to sketch it...but it would not be easy at all. :blink:

Edited by richyb83

This thing sounds crazy!, but I bet it would still be awesome! From what I read I would think it would look something like this, maybe a more utilitarian St. Louis arch? I think I might have made it a little too tall though.

untitledkc8.png

Wow that looks cool. :) Definitely something different from the usual in Baton Rouge. Hey Richy do you know if the renderings for this building are on the Business Report's website?

Edited by bobby255BR

^Nice try Dan; you have a good imagination. That would be a cool looking iconic structure BR can be proud of.....but

I just bought a copy of BusinessReport this afternoon; they have Trahan's rendering...it looks crazy; but very modern/ cutting-edge; more so than Shaw Center. Nothing like it in the world they say!! I will be very impressed if they could pull-it-off. The condo's, construction, wouldn't be $$ cheap!

I could try to sketch it...but it would not be easy at all. :blink:

If they took your proposal you should get a little compen$ation. :D

Was I close?Any similarities? You should take a picture of the rendering and post it like that. :thumbsup:

Edited by dan326

Well.....I got a little carried away :whistling: with my amateur status with the Riverfront future development

The overhead aerial is almost distorted making the 30-story Riverfront towers looking MUCH TALLER than everything else.

Looking down at the river; I tried to show you Trahan's mixed-use sculpture from the street/ground view looking(north) from North Blvd and it's location.

(Left-to-right)*Cream color-BRAC/BRAF 30 story mixed-use tower on old Advocate property site(preliminary talks)

*Aqua-RiverPlace 30-story+3 floor parking deck; (starting early 07') >>18 month delay due to hurricanes$$

* ??? Hartley Vey property...no word on anything as of yet, site of the failed 26-story Laurel Plaza-1999

*Magenta- Two City Plaza approved at 17-stories(will start April 07') similar in height to shorter Chase Tower

*Yellow- New 19th Judicial Courthouse 10-12 stories(should begin March 07')

composite30nodocket4.jpg

There is no Trahan rendering on website; he's been working on this for a year and says if the response is positive he's going to keep advancing it. :thumbsup:

You were kind of close Dan...but his property is only 30'ft. x 70ft'...the design will be slanted over Lafayette Street; maybe hovering over River Road.

Edited by richyb83

Nice depictions richyb. When built these will definitely "bump" BRs skyline up a few notches.

No one seem to mention the Regions Bank/ Laurel Tower on here anymore. There is a (construction?) fence around the New Richmond Apartments at the announced location. Is this project still a go? I hope so.

pow011706.jpg

Edited by fla_tiger

(Left-to-right)*Cream color-BRAC/BRAF 30 story mixed-use tower on old Advocate property site(preliminary talks)

*Aqua-RiverPlace 30-story+3 floor parking deck; (starting early 07') >>18 month delay due to hurricanes$$

* ??? Hartley Vey property...no word on anything as of yet, site of the failed 26-story Laurel Plaza-1999

*Magenta- Two City Plaza approved at 17-stories(will start April 07') similar in height to shorter Chase Tower

*Yellow- New 19th Judicial Courthouse 10-12 stories(should begin March 07')

]

You were kind of close Dan...but his property is only 30'ft. x 70ft'...the design will be slanted over Lafayette Street; maybe hovering over River Road.

I got confused when it said it was going to be 40 feet over the Shaw Center and landing on the opposite side of Lafayette Street, I thought it ment actually going over the Shaw Center. :lol:

I can't wait for these projects to begin. Do you know if RiverPlace is starting construction before the courthouse?

Nice depictions richyb. When built these will definitely "bump" BRs skyline up a few notches.

No one seem to mention the Regions Bank/ Laurel Tower on here anymore. There is a (construction?) fence around the New Richmond Apartments at the announced location. Is this project still a go? I hope so.

From what I know, this project is "on hold". It needs money from the transportation system, which is having a hard time supporting itself.

Edited by dan326

From what I know, this project is "on hold". It needs money from the transportation system, which is having a hard time supporting itself.
Yeah, there have been some hold-up's. Not too sure what's gonna happen.

Thanks flatiger. I can't wait to see the projects begin with all those cranes in downtown at the same time. The skyline will be worth talking about.

It's rumored Regions will be going to II City Plaza instead. Laurel Tower still has the construction fence-up. If nothing else maybe a mid-rise condo. The project requires federal dollars with La's tallest parking structure, not sure if that's gonna happen??

The 30-story mixed-use high-rise at the old Advocate property will also have plenty of office space.

Edited by richyb83

Do you know if RiverPlace is starting construction before the courthouse?

You know what I though about is that maybe B.R. Foundation will get inspired from their trip to Nashville (I think they went or are going?) and the Advocate building will be more than 30 stories since that is how the Signature Tower formed; 50 to 70 stories or maybe that's just wishful thinking. :dontknow::)

Edited by dan326

Ha, Dan...I wish. Someone told me that when they started construction on Chase Bank Tower that they started finding water deep in the ground . So an extra bracing system was nessesary bec. under the tower is literally floating underground.... way down below; due to the proximity of the Mississippi River.

The man also said a high-rise project way back in the 70' or 80's was considered on Third Street; a study was done, and 44-stories was as high(limit) as could be built bec. of the sediment way down below. I guess you can only dig so deep into the ground when you are that close to the river :dontknow:

will get inspired from their trip to Nashville (I think they went or are going?) and the Advocate building will be more than 30 stories
They got the idea of a mixed-use tower from their most recent in Raleigh. But they did get the high-rise condo idea from Nashville. They got ideas from Austin with the arts & entertainment scene.

Do you know if RiverPlace is starting construction before the courthouse?

I am not sure, I would think/hope so. The Courthouse is supposed to begin in March. All the $$ is finally getting straight, so 2007's gonna be the year for downtown!!!!

Edited by richyb83

The man also said a high-rise project way back in the 70' or 80's was considered on Third Street; a study was done, and 44-stories was as high(limit) as could be built bec. of the sediment way down below. I guess you can only dig so deep into the ground when you are that close to the river :
Well, maybe what they could do is just build low/midrises along the river and build the bigger building farther back. :)

All the $$ is finally getting straight, so 2007's gonna be the year for downtown!!!!

:yahoo:

Look what I found. We where just talking about obsevation towers and I found this one for sale. Maybe we could all band together and buy it. :lol:http://www.entertainmentdeveloper.com/tower.html

Edited by dan326

How do you find all this ??

I have my ways. :D I typed in observation tower because I wanted to see what some of the different ones looked like, then at the bottom of the screen it had a picture with the heading "STEAL THIS 330 FT. OBSERVATION TOWER". So I thought "How do you steal an observation tower?", clicked on the picture and there you go.

The man also said a high-rise project way back in the 70' or 80's was considered on Third Street; a study was done, and 44-stories was as high(limit) as could be built bec. of the sediment way down below.

It all depends on weight. 44 stories sounds a little conservative, considering NOLA has a few higher than that, and everything east of river road in downtown BR is on a bluff.

^ Nice shot of a nice building Byrde.

:thumbsup:

How about a construction race btw the City Plaza II and the Courthouse?

That could be neat.

Yeah you right. I can't wait to see all the cranes at the same time. I can just envision the view by the :shades: Summer from North Blvd. Town Square; to the right the new Courthouse; straight-ahead II City Plaza; and to the far left River Place. The streetscape will change dramatically too!

The interior of that building is very nice. I have to go to that building from time to time for business. The Holly & Smith Architects did a great job. :thumbsup: On the first floor of that building is a cafeteria. It is to the right of the steps in the pic you see posted ^^^. You have a great view of the lake and the capitol building from there.

I was impressed with the interior of the Claiborne Bldg. too. I have had a few workshops there. But the gassy smell outside in the parking lot is almost enough to gag a maggot.

The entire campus of the Capitol Complex is very impressive. It sure brought alot more workers downtown. All the new State Bldgs. on North Street has changed the urban fabric the the northern CBD.

Edited by richyb83