Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Nice try there Dan. How do you like that crazy design?? They listed this at 160'ft?? I count what looks to be 14-floors. Even if front section doesn't get built ; the rest of it is still a sleek enough design IMO.

I like it a lot. I hope it gets built like that. It does seem kind of intimidating to pass under though. :P

I guess this is new, but it seems oddly familiar to the 2 story building that is already built by the existing 6 story building. You know, the one with the little spire and a kind of neutral color pallet. If it is new it should 4 stories, to balance out the exisitng buildings. :)

A proposed 18,000-square-foot addition to the Park at Bluebonnet was designed to address freeway traffic on the Interstate 10 side and pedestrian traffic on the parking lot side. The two-story, $3 million structure will be built by YBR LLC.
Edited by dan326

Claiborne Building

119327508-M.jpg

I hate to sound negative, because everyone on this board seems to be over-the-top excited and positive about every little thing, and that's fine, but I've gotta say, that's a very boring, municiple looking building. There's no doubt it was a product of the State Government. It's good to have that project there of course and I'm glad the state did what they did as far as doing these buildings, but I just think they could have added a little pizzaz. It's such a heavy, almost industrial looking block of a building as is all the buildings in this project area. It would have been nice if they did more consolidating and made a decent sized tower out of all the smaller building. Nothing fun whatsoever about the architecture here.

While I'm venting about architecture in my beloved home town, that new art museum in downtown over by the Centroplex is downright awful. I know it got rave reviews in the national architecture publications, but it looks very industrial and does absolutely NOTHING for the aesthetics of the Baton Rouge riverfront. It looks like they were trying to blend in with some industrial complex in north BR. It is simply awful in my opinion.

Sorry for the little rant here. It is a nice photo of it though, Byrde.

I hate to sound negative, because everyone on this board seems to be over-the-top excited and positive about every little thing, and that's fine, but I've gotta say, that's a very boring, municiple looking building. There's no doubt it was a product of the State Government. It's good to have that project there of course and I'm glad the state did what they did as far as doing these buildings, but I just think they could have added a little pizzaz. It's such a heavy, almost industrial looking block of a building as is all the buildings in this project area. It would have been nice if they did more consolidating and made a decent sized tower out of all the smaller building. Nothing fun whatsoever about the architecture here.

While I'm venting about architecture in my beloved home town, that new art museum in downtown over by the Centroplex is downright awful. I know it got rave reviews in the national architecture publications, but it looks very industrial and does absolutely NOTHING for the aesthetics of the Baton Rouge riverfront. It looks like they were trying to blend in with some industrial complex in north BR. It is simply awful in my opinion.

Sorry for the little rant here. It is a nice photo of it though, Byrde.

Well, it is LOUISIANA afterall. ;) Personally I think they're much nicer than just a plain, boring "box." But with the number of buildings they constructed, and the cost associated, I'm not at all surprised they didn't make them extremely fancy. Perhaps it's just me, but I like these buildings. I think they're stretching it a bit in calling them Art Deco, but I do think they're nice. True Art Deco is heavily ornate.

Hey, nothing wrong with getting "over-the-top excited and positive about every little thing!" Of course I know you also said "and that's fine" but man I do appreciate the enthusiasm the Baton Rouge guys have here. It's refreshing to me.

The Claiborne Bldg. exterior isn't much special; but these other new State bldgs. are more impressive IMO.

Galvez Bldg.(left); Bienville Bldg.(right)

batonrouge036cw8.jpg

Another look at the Galvez Bldg....sorry not the best pic

batonrouge040ox9.jpg

Iberville(left); LaSalle(right)

snaphappy028ok8.jpg

The Capitol Park Complex gateway on Fourth Street

snaphappy029df1.jpg

The massive wall of 4 of the new state buildings on North Street; sure it would have been nice to combine a few of these buildings into some serious high-rises; but they did not want to overshadow the iconic State Capitol Building.

northstreetnf4.jpg

The thinner (gateway) section of Bienville Bldg.

bienvillehd3.jpg

Thanks Brian, my enthusiasm wavers in the breeze sometimes; but I'm fightin' the good fight :thumbsup: I've seen plenty of positive since 1999.

Rant all you want dude; No problem, I think alot of the architecture in BR is boring too. But that's changing and I can't wait to see it. Two City Plaza is going to be very nice; even if it's only to be 17-stories.

Perkins Rowe is coming along nicely. You can see some of the buildings from the Mall of Louisiana. I wish that they had kept the plan to put that little church-like finial on top of the theater. But then again it isn't finished as the roof is supposed to be green, so maybe? :dontknow:

Edited by dan326

Great shots yall! Thanks for posting!

Nice colors and lighting in the pic of the float; Mardi Gras continues to grow and grow in downtown.

That Super Bowl sunset is unreal. :shades: Almost looks like the sky is on fire.

It is about time, the weather lately has been yucky. Our back yard is messed up. It's all dog tracks, they ripped up the grass. Hopefully these warmer days will offer us some killer sunsets and dry up this sponge we are walking on.