Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

^^Dan326: impressive girth you have there in that capitol picture. It makes me feel inadequate.

:rofl: :rofl:

Hey, wait a second... you're too young to be making jokes like that!!

Didn't you hear? They are putting a giant condom on the capitol building for the spanish town parade. :rofl:

Edited by brresident

Thanks Brian, my enthusiasm wavers in the breeze sometimes; but I'm fightin' the good fight :thumbsup: I've seen plenty of positive since 1999.

Rant all you want dude; No problem, I think alot of the architecture in BR is boring too. But that's changing and I can't wait to see it. Two City Plaza is going to be very nice; even if it's only to be 17-stories.

Agreed. Art Deco is kind one of those signatures of the northern part of downtown. Almost gothic looking with the Capitlol building's statues and scultures build into the masonry. The newer ones mostly look good with lots of vertical lines, sharp edges, with very imposing stances.

I think this is the Galvez building, but it's probably one of my favorites. I love the roof line and how it varies so much. It's so much nicer than the old 1960s-1980s designs that are just a giant box. Granted, it is still a huge box, but it is a very good looking one. The verticle lines made by the windows make the building look taller- comared to the one to the right, which sort of resmebles a giant waffle-maker.

62539428-M.jpg

Borrowed this image from Byrde. Hope he doesn't mind.

This building would look even cooler if was a little taller. Keep the roofline like it is, but stretch the distance between the first and second break (where the setbacks are) another 4 or 5 floors. Then you can have the final break with the top floor set back as it is.

This is probably really odd: the bienville building looks to me like it has a bunch of really sharp spikes at the top of it. It's all in how you see it. I think it will age very well, and look very neat after the elements sort of attack it's light appearance for the next 50 years or so. It all looks really cool with the refinery in the background. It kind of gives that part of the city a spooky look at night. I really like it.

The Claiborne building on the other side of the lake does look kind of boreing, though. Good thing that it is kind of short and not very visible from most of downtown. It isn't unattractive, but I think they could have broken up the uniformity and made it a little taller and narrower...it would come out looking kind of neat.

Edited by brresident

Borrowed this image from Byrde. Hope he doesn't mind.

The Claiborne building on the other side of the lake does look kind of boreing, though. Good thing that it is kind of short and not very visible from most of downtown. It isn't unattractive, but I think they could have broken up the uniformity and made it a little taller and narrower...it would come out looking kind of neat.

It is not a problem.

I've heard many people say they think the Claiborne building is ugly. Some that work there call it the Batman building. The reason given is, it reminds them of somthing you would see in Gotham City. Especially on one of them gray, rainy dark days in the fall/winter.

Nice pics La.Thunder! Thanks for posting them. The stained glass pic inside the Old State Capitol looks great. Wow the river sure looks high. Nice shot from the skywalk; that's a cool area of BR.

The river is rather high for this time of year. I was on the river for the Jupiter Parade and was suprised at the water level. With the recent snow in the midwest over recent weeks, we could have a very high river through the spring season.

I love that photo of the old state capitol, also, about how tall is that 3rd street sign?

I would say the sign is about 15 feet tall, I could be wrong. All the streets should have a similar sign I think, the other side has RiverCenter on it. The old capitol is free now, I want to do more, but I only had an hour. They still giving me a hard time getting to the 3rd & 4th floor, but I will sweet talk on of the workers. Haa! See if I can get some photos from the top of the dome.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting. WOW! Was that the crowd watching the 2 old state buildings being blown-up simultaneously? That's a nice size crowd! Wish I could have been there in person; but I need my sleep on early Saturday mornings. It was still cool to see on the local TV stations.

From other thread....Oh, I forgot they called that "shock the block". Yeah the Capitol Park Complex has come a long way!

Edited by richyb83

I believe the names of the two building imploded that day were the Dept. of Education bldg. and the Dept. of Natural Resources bldg. Two old ugly boxy outdated buildings. They were replaced by the last two "gateway" buildings; the Beinville bldg. and the Iberville bldg. that were just completed at the end of the Summer 06'.

I believe the names of the two building imploded that day were the Dept. of Education bldg. and the Dept. of Natural Resources bldg. Two old ugly boxy outdated buildings. They were replaced by the last two "gateway" buildings; the Beinville bldg. and the Iberville bldg. that were just completed at the end of the Summer 06'.

You are correct richy. The Dept. of Insurance building just east of the Capitol was imploded a few years prior. Part of the parking deck for the Dept. of Ins. building is still there.

^^ The developer told me Laurel Tower would be reconfigured for the 20 and 30 somethings; that it would be cool.

I'm a totally guessing it won't be the original 19-stories that was planned bec. of the "mixed-use" label would be dropped and be just residential. I'm guessing 8 to maybe 12-stories?? But I might be wrong. No details as of yet/or new renderings.

Wanted to put this shot in the BR Forum; BR needed to represent more on La.Photo of the Day so that's why I posted there first. This was taken the from back of the roof-top terrace of the Shaw Arts Center.

feb07031bj9.jpg