Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Interesting pic, Natchez is a nice city, maybe one day I-110 will connect BR to Natchez. :thumbsup:

Glad you like Lamar! I think it is an office for an old Mom & Pop type motel.

I noticed that Hwy 61 is being expanded from a 2 lane country road to a 4 lane divided road for most of its length north of St Francisville, even on the Mississippi side. The sections south of Port Hudson towards BTR are already existing. I feel the big "crimp" will be how to widen the road through or around St Francisville because of the beautiful tree canopy and existing development.

Edited by fla_tiger

Glad you like Lamar! I think it is an office for an old Mom & Pop type motel.

I noticed that Hwy 61 is being expanded from a 2 lane country road to a 4 lane divided road for most of its length north of St Francisville, even on the Mississippi side. The sections south of Port Hudson towards BTR are already existing. I feel the big "crimp" will be how to widen the road through or around St Francisville because of the beautiful tree canopy and existing development.

They have already started working on the Hwy 61 project in near St. Francisville in conjuction with the construction of the Audubon Bridge that will connect St. Francisville to New Roads via. La Hwy 10. Once they finish the work in West Feliciana Parish, you will be able to drive from BR to Rayville, LA on a complete 4 lane hwy.

They have already started working on the Hwy 61 project in near St. Francisville in conjuction with the construction of the Audubon Bridge that will connect St. Francisville to New Roads via. La Hwy 10. Once they finish the work in West Feliciana Parish, you will be able to drive from BR to Rayville, LA on a complete 4 lane hwy.

That's right byrde, I forgot about the new bridge, nice name for it too.

The unusual building pictured above is called Mammy's Cupboard, a restaurant just south of Natchez. I've only been in there once, and we didn't do much more than look around. I have heard that the food is decent, though. You'd think that the building might upset people, but it seems to have a following. As for the four-laning of 61, I think it is in progress on the Mississippi side as well.

Great team work yall. It's always good to see the BR Forum active. I only vaguely remember seeing this building for some reason. But it looks cool. It's been awhile since I have driven that way. Thanks for the pic flatiger. :thumbsup: It's a nicer drive to Natchez with the upgraded hwy. A by-pass for St. Francisville would be a problem too I'm guessing.

Edited by richyb83

The unusual building pictured above is called Mammy's Cupboard, a restaurant just south of Natchez. I've only been in there once, and we didn't do much more than look around. I have heard that the food is decent, though. You'd think that the building might upset people, but it seems to have a following. As for the four-laning of 61, I think it is in progress on the Mississippi side as well.

The 4-laning of 61 in Mississippi is complete from the state line north to Natchez. There's about a 10-15 mile stretch north of Natchez, near Port Gibson that is still two lanes, but they are working on that. Soon you'll be able to drive from BR to Vicksburg as well on a divided 4 lane hwy.

That's right byrde, I forgot about the new bridge, nice name for it too.

Here are a couple of images of the beautiful John J Audubon Bridge and a link to its webpage:

http://www.timedla.com/blog/audubon/

051206audubonbridge.jpg

newbridge030306.jpg

This new crossing will be part of the LA 10-Zachary Taylor Parkway, although not to interstate standards, it will connect I-49 with I-55 and provide a much needed northern by-pass of traffic laden I-10 and I-12 through Baton Rouge.