Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

That's a nice looking bridge. How much will that help traffic in Baton Rouge?? Officials in BR say Hwy. 190 will probably be upgraded to Interstate standards for the northern stretch of the Loop. With all this happening, no way will another bridge ever be built between the upgraded Hwy.190 bridge an the Audobon Bridge.

Will another bridge ever be built between I-10 and Hwy. 22 Sunshine Bridge in Donaldsonville?? Or will the Sunshine Bridge ever be upgraded?? Last week's local news had the southern-loop getting a new bridge possibly being between Plaquemine/Brusly/Addis. I bet Pinnacle being so far down Nicholson Hwy. would love that! It would make the Interstate much more accessable. Personally I hope Pinnacle never comes.

Wow nice sunsrise shot Lamar. I was in the middle of my long message when your pic popped-up :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but any through traffic that uses LA 10 from I-49 over the Mississippi to access I-55, as little as it seems could help in deceasing volumes on the interstates in BTR (Hopefully).

Beautiful sunrise photo Lamar, and great view, where was that shot taken?

Edited by fla_tiger

Very nice Lamar. Thanks for posting all these older pics. Makes me appreciate all the progress going on downtown! Cool views being able to see the Kress, Levy & Welch bldg. roof top. I forgot it looked like that. I also like how the last pic you can see them about to start the big Third Street parking garage. Look at the ugly ole' Capitol House back then. It's great they renovated it :thumbsup:

Very nice Lamar. Thanks for posting all these older pics. Makes me appreciate all the progress going on downtown! Cool views being able to see the Kress, Levy & Welch bldg. roof top. I forgot it looked like that. I also like how the last pic you can see them about to start the big Third Street parking garage. Look at the ugly ole' Capitol House back then. It's great they renovated it :thumbsup:

anytime, I have alot of downtown pics, when the dream of redevelopment was fresh, alot of of them are of the hotel, man that building as a mess and a half. I grin at what the city done to save it. It is the place, even though I won't spend the night in it. :whistling:

The Acadian Thruway underpass. Man I used to work in that 6 story office building right behind the Outback Steakhouse. Whenever we get a hard fast rain, that underpass will flood. Well one year, it rained so hard and for so long, that that whole area was flooded, almost up to the point where you are standing when you snapped that shot. Many cars in the parking lot of the building behind outback were flooded.

Nice shot Lamar :thumbsup: Go thru that underpass everyday after work.

It's funny you mentioned that Byrde, that spot is notorious for flooding after a heavy rainfall. I can remember a little red car that was floating/stuck in the high water; then a big truck came thru fast splashing thru the flood at the same time. He made it thru, but the little red car was bobbing up & down like a cork :lol:

Thanks for posting that Bryde! :thumbsup: This belongs on the La. Weather thread. I saw this on the news too, those are some silly dudes. They said the water reached nearly 10 feet high there.

How ironic is that?? LT post the pic on Monday and it does this today! BTW Lamar, I like your new avatar.

We recieved a month's worth of rainfall today. 5" and 6" inch rainfall totals around the area.

Edited by richyb83

When it rained these past few days the Acadian overpass came to mind, but I wasn't ready to tackle traffic that day. Majority of the people I know were stuck someone where in the city.

Good thing Byrde was out to get those pics. It's appreciated!

The avatar is 110 @ Airline Highway, compliments of Google Maps

Plank%20Road.jpg

Cool set of photos, guys! Especially the transition pics of the underpass. That reminds me heavily of the infamous I-10 railroad underpass in New Orleans, near the Jefferson Parish line. That thing floods during an average thunderstorm, and is absolutely horrible during a hurricane or tropical storm. They actually had a story on the local news yesterday about a group of kids that skipped high school in Mandeville, drove across the lake, and spent the day at Jazz Fest. Everything was fine until they left to head home, and got stuck in the water underneath the railroad underpass(after yesterday's storms), and had to call their parents. :lol:

Here's the underpass I'm talking about during and after Katrina:

flooding4.jpg

DCP_0411.JPG

43055400_2fbe2fcaf3.jpg

There was 10 feet of standing water their for weeks after Katrina, until the pumping station built nearby(the building directly behind the bridge in pics 2 & 3) to handle that underpass alone could be brought back on line.

Thanks for posting those pics Nate. I wonder why they build under-passes instead of overpasses anyway?? I guess they know best.

Yeah that storm actually dumped 8" inches of rain at Metro Airport from midnight til early afternoon. That was a drought-buster to say the least. The frogs were extra happy too bec. they sure were loud!

That avatar looked familiar LT.

Edited by richyb83

Plank%20Road.jpg

Everytime we'd play redemptorist when I was in High School, we'd stop at that Krispy Kreme after the game.

Brings back memories of high school football and soccer.

For North Baton Rouge, I never thought that area was that bad, but apparently it has gotten dangerous. The area immediately around the High School is okay. It's strange...very New Orleans like to have a private school in the middle of a rough neighborhood. They seem to embrace each other, though. The pretty old school and church with older housing and old industrial structures mixed together kind of give Plank Road the feel of a northern rustbelt city. Maybe that was because every time I'd go there it was football season or soccer season and I'd be freezing cold....Redeptorist Catholic is still a very decent school for the tuition cost. I saw them as little punks when I was in high school, though.

With all this focus on mid-city, I'd really like to see some major investments in crime prevention and improved housing options in that area. That was a vibrant working class community that started because of the industrail plants there (again, very rustbelt like). I'd hate to see crime elements moving into that area....a "not in my city" stance by local officals would be really cool. You'd think being so close to Southern U that the area would get a bit of a boost. It seems like Exxon's shift workers are keeping it alive more than that. Then again, when I was in college at LSU I was dirt poor for for straight years, so I guess there is only so much a major school's location can do for an area retail development wise. Maybe the city can spend a little money locating a DPW station there or something. More daily workers will keep the restarants and what not open.

Every christmas we'd go up that way for mass and then we'd go get our christmas tree in Zachary. It's a long drive from Shenedoah, but my grandparents like to visit the old neighborhood. They used to take me to that Picadilly not far from there when I was way to young to appreciate the place.

That enough of memory lane for me.

Anyone have any pictures of the new development going on around Southern University? I think that LSU and Southern are the two best things to ever happen to Baton Rouge....and we have tons of pictures of LSU (not that we couldn't use more).

Edited by brresident