Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Nice shots LT!!! Thanks for posting all of them.

I like the car streaking across the intersection of Florida and 22nd! Love the Hilton Capitol Center..the pool deck on the third floor is sweet. The fountains at Lafayette Street park are cool! Really like the different view looking down the Third Street parking garage, how creative is that! :good:

Yeah you right Nate! LSU football season will be starting before you know it!!! :yahoo:

Great shot of the crowd; it's been said that there are about 120-125,000 people on campus in the late afternoon! With the additional 30,000 "tailgaters" that do not attend the game! Love that "zoom" lense view from atop the Capitol!

Here are a few recent pics taken a couple weeks ago with a much more quiet scene.

Always like seeing the different angles/views of the massive Tiger Stadium.

71107009wd1.jpg

The new round-about in the shadows of Tiger Stadium. Actually the stadium is down a hill from this street level shot behind those buildings.

71107010rf2.jpg

An older shot taken late last year from the concourse of the PMAC

snaphappy016yw0.jpg

And the new West upper deck that was completed last year

more015tu0.jpg

We sure miss Mike :(

snaphappy020dz7.jpg

This view will be changing with II City Plaza and New Courthouse to be built in the open gap (ahead) between the Old State Capitol and Governmental bldg.

Planetarium(left) the model of the Planets looks cool; wish it was easier to see thru the glare of dark glass.

Repententance Fountains hiding on the other side of the trees.

71107036me0.jpg

Edited by richyb83

A pic I found, Third Street back in it's "hey-day". I'm guessing this was taken in the late 50's or early 60's?

Wouldn't it be nice for Third Street to look like this again?? Third Street was the place to be back then...

The Paramount Theatre(left where the Third Street parking garage now stands) was demolished back in 79' :( ; to this day my Dad says was/is such ashame! What were those idiots thinking????

What a great venue it would be today with the proposed Arts & Entertainment District soon to come.

brparac1b1a1ds1a1jm1.jpg

Nice pic of 3rd!

Here is a website I found, just browsing. Baton Rouge from way back in the day.

http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special/exhibits/Lytle/gallery.html#2

Interesting set of pictures. It would be nice if the tracks along main street were still there. Image the transportation system we'd have if the city would have continued to use them for mass transit.

Thanks for the website LT and for keepin this thread rollin' :shades:

Nice shot of the Old Governors Mansion. That parking lot won't be vacant for long.

I always like the gritty shots too with the busted windows; ain't nothin' like the Dirty South!

Louisiana New School

71107062uc6.jpg

Dufrocq Elementary

71107065nz6.jpg

This building would be good for some redevelopment.

A good Carribean Jerk Chicken shop might work well; Jamaican style

71107063wc2.jpg

Edited by richyb83

Yep the Dirth $outh is an up and coming area. The overpass changed the area for good, better or worst. I spent my early childhood roaming down those streets. Yesterday was a walk down memory lane, majority of the houses I remember playing in as a kid are now offices. The store Romano's not too far from the old building on the last picture you took, best breakfast and BBQ hamburger you can find, but it too is in need of major repair. I went to that school in Kindergarden, then onto Nicholson Elementary.

You are right LT! This area is ripe for redevelopment. The over-pass is

The North Blvd. over-pass just completed last year

downtown029ek3.jpg

Just taken recently...the walking trail/street lamps look nice. But the over-pass itself is not for pedestrians...I guess they felt it just was too dangerous to walk or biking?? If there is a train, I guess pedestrians are stuck riding the side street, which is kinda stupid.

71107064dl7.jpg