Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Nice shots there BR Today! :thumbsup: Thanks for posting those!!

I really like the Marroitt; many outsiders wonder why BR's Tallest Hotel at 22-stories is 4 or 5 miles from the CBD; what it might look like along the riverfront?? They have a nice tract of land across the street(where your pic was taken from). Suprised a nice multi-story office building has not been built there yet.

Maybe something taller like an Omni or Hyatt hotel tower can be built on top of the RiverCenter one day??

Lafayette Street Park is a jewel at a perfect location. The rest of Lafayette Street has the potential to really nice!

Towne Center is a nice infil development and still growing!

Edited by richyb83

i don't know if yall noticed yet....but 3rd street seems to be gaining more and more people every weekend.....my cousin from houston was like danggg look at all these people ...and all the clubs have a big crowd inside or a long like......and people are walking around downtown drinking and the police havent stoped one person yet from what ive seen.......MORE CLUBS!!!!!!!!!!!! ..it's so many people i see the lil hotdog stand on 3rd street making good business....im glad to see third street and the whole downtown progressing

you ain't kidding man!!!!! I was down there last night and I was very surprised at the number of people on third street. Downtown was busy in general because of the LSU fan day at the rivercenter, but third street was crazy. There were pople walking all over the place. Talking about exciting to see!!!!!!!!!!!

But one thing that I did notice was that most of the clubs are centered around the Shaw Center. If we could et that to expand further down third street and spill over onto another street or two then downtown would have an amazing night life.

You want to know whats funny? Before going downtown, I was in Lafayette and besides from the the entertainment at the Cajun Dome everytime was relatively quiet :dontknow: and this was also at night. I was just surprised to see our downtown so vibrant! :shades:

But one thing that I did notice was that most of the clubs are centered around the Shaw Center. If we could et that to expand further down third street and spill over onto another street or two then downtown would have an amazing night life.

A little further down Third Street, Schlitz and Giggles is set to open in about 4 or 5 weeks I think. Still further down Third Street (but before the Wine Loft), the M Bar is supposed to open in early September. I drove by both places over the weekend. Both appeared to have active renovation efforts (i.e., not just a "coming soon" sign, but actual construction). These places should be very nice additions to third street.

Of course, openening in a year or so should be the "Stroube's Chop House" (or whatever they end up naming it). From what little info that has been released, it looks like a large component of this new restaurant will be an upscale second floor/outdoor terrace bar. Assuming they do this restaurant right, I think it will be the final component that makes Third Street what we all seem to hope it will be.

Edited by Gauge

Yeah Third Street is starting to become the "hip" place to be. Block-by block. I wonder what's up with the plans for the club where the retro Coca-Cola sign is?? That too was to have a 2nd floor w/ roof-top terrace next to the sign. It had been fenced off for renovation work; but now nothing seemed to be going on??

The "soon to be" residential componet is what will ultimately set-off Third Street. Projects in the Shaw Arts Block like One Eleven and the Onyxx bldg. lofts; Kress, Welch & Levy down Third at Main; the Brownstones near Main Street Market and others will make Third Street even more vibrant!!! :shades:

Also this weekend there was a artist auction at the Lyceum Dean across Third Street from the Shaw Center. My mom had some work there; that also helped the crowd.

Edited by richyb83

^Nice pic in downtown LT :thumbsup:

Convention Street looking west toward the river. About to start renovation Hotel King; wedged between Hilton Capitol Center(background); Third Street parking garage (immediate right).

71107021ax1.jpg

What is that black structure/wall between the hotel and parking garage??

A Lamar digital billboard needs to be mounted on the side of the Third Street parking garage, what do yall think?? Bet it would look cool at night; defeinetly brighter! :camera:

Edited by richyb83

Downtown is definetly coming back .I went past there last week and there were cars lined down all the way past the Chase towers. The people at Tsunami must have been having a good time because I heard the music all the way from the street. :)

Edited by dan326

Wow yis, thanks for posting those cool throwback pics of Third Street. Those remind me of the days my parents as children would go to Third Street, shopping for clothes or records; doctor's appts; Paramount threatre, eating; etc. What an active time it was!

I am proud to say I am from Baton Rouge.

:offtopic: yis I see you found your way over to tspn.

Wow yis, thanks for posting those cool throwback pics of Third Street. Those remind me of the days my parents as children would go to Third Street, shopping for clothes or records; doctor's appts; Paramount threatre, eating; etc. What an active time it was!

I am proud to say I am from Baton Rouge.

yep..ive made my way over there nice smack talk site

and it seem like downtown Baton Rouge was doin good back in the days...i cant wait to see the new downtown developed

Wow. The streets are so much wider in those pictures.

It would probably take 5000 new residents for downtown to come close to looking that active again. It's time for a grocery store or pharmacy.

Once downtown gets a few more decent clubs, I'd like to see storefronts with retail downtown...even if it means attracting national chains like gap, foot locker, or waldenbooks.

Instead of seeing folks buying a buiding to turn it into a fancy office, I'd like to see retail on the ground floor and lofts above.

Edited by cajun

• 3 weeks later...

I love the old pictures. I can't get over the activity that was downtown. I sure hope we can get it like that again, and not just during regular business hours. I'd love to see activity like that on the weekends especially. I agree tho it's time for a grocery, drug store and some retail on street level. I think it'll be a while before the national chains decide to put anything downtown, especially considering everything they already have in the "burbs".