Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

I wanted to put a picture of a house in a historic neighborhood or historic neighborhood sign on Wikipedia.

Tons of them in Zee-Zee Gardens and some in the Garden district that would look great.

Zeeland Street Market would look neat.

View from just south of Government Street of the cranes....

(left)new Courthouse behind the RiverCenter parking garage;

(center, right) II City Plaza working on 10th floor, barely visible from this angle behind City Plaza and in front of State Capitol

41308003co6.jpg

It sure would be nice if the city could bury those power-lines

Edited by richyb83

Nice picture Richy, you are right it would be nice if the city could bury those power lines. But being realistic, that will most likely never happen because of the HUGE cost. I know this because I am an engineer for AT&T and I do utility relocations for roadmoves...etc. One project we are currently designing is the relocation of our facilities at Essen and I-10 for widening the interstate. You'll probably see me more on this site since I am out of work for a while due to surgery I recently had, I'm just glad to be out of the hospital.

Corey

Thanks Corey2250. Hope you have a speedy recovery from surgery :thumbsup:

Looking up Fourth Street

II City Plaza going up to the right; Wonder how many feet per floor it is??

Hope they aren't following the nation-wide trend of decreasing floor heights to save $money$??

41308007to2.jpg

Some more mid-rises or high-rises sure would look nice on some of those surface parking lots to the left between there and One American Place.

Air Force One Lands in Baton Rouge

The Boeing 747- 800 JumboJet took most of the longest runway at Ryan Field. It's....uh.....slightly larger than most of the other planes. This particular plane has been in service since 1996 (Imagine all the places it has been!), and carries with it the presidential limo and up to 3 armored Suburbans as well as being a complete office on wings.

George Bush and some cabinet members were in town for a fundraiser in south Baton Rouge as well as a trade summit in New Orleans.

He was met at the Baton Rouge airport by Gov. Bobby Jindal and at the NO airport by Ray Nagin (not sure if Mayor Holden was there).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...-iqBA&hl=en

Does anyone have pictures of the motorcade?

Edited by cajun

Great sunset photo LT, thanks for posting! Wonder what the Advocate site might look like if they had combined the 6-story adminstration bldg.(right) and Siegen's 70' foot tall building w/ printing press?? Could have been a nice complex along the riverfront if they had stayed downtown.

Speaking of riverfront....WOW southeast BR!!! Awesome shot! Sweet angle! Great clarity! Looks really 3-D layered with the USS KIDD; Planetarium, Shaw Center, new state bldgs. Black & white color contrast with the Hilton and One American Place is cool. Man is the river swollen or what?? Wonder what floor II City Plaza is now on??

Edited by richyb83

Southeast, you have plenty of wikipedia worthy pics. I think that one should go up in the culture section b/c of the shaw center and Pennington center being there.

That looks great because of the spring colors on the trees, and the fact that the USS kid isn't sitting in a mud hole like it does in the winter. If I knew how, I'd add this to the BR page and the USS Kidd page.

Edited by cajun

I love this picture. It makes downtown look so alive! But I don't think it would be a good picture to add to Wikipedia. I say this because as much as I want to show off B.R.,I don't want to saturate the page with downtown pics, but have a variety of picctures from diffrerent areas. I say this because there are few city pages with nothing but skyline and downtown pictures and it gets old fast.

Edited by dan326

Thanks for posting that buckett; I just posted that same pic in the La. Weather Forum :o Awesome pic, scary looking too; no tornadoes reported, but that pic sure shows what looks like something that could become one at any moment!

With yesterday storms + this mornings I got 6" inches of rain on the gauge in the backyard.