Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

• 2 weeks later...

byrde that is one nice picture. Old bridge, 100% bridge, impressive rust

There used to be an Aluminum plant at the foot of the old bridge.

From what I understand, the solid material that plant would puff into the air dyed the bridge a rust color.....so the state just came and painted it that color years later. It's not quite as "rusty" as it looks. I actually like the reddish color.

It's a great picture.

Edited by cajun

That's cool buckett you knew that, not suprising...like the tropical look around that place the Palms & 2nd floor balcony

Nice snow pics Bryde..didn't last for long...but still nice we have had a "real" Winter this season...like the big new Courthouse on opposite side of Fourth Street

Those night-time photo's kick butt hagetaka...

BR's 3rd & 4th Tallest Buildings

7608009.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Old pics of the Paramount Theater that used to be downtown. I just can't help but think, of all the other ugly, unused buildings that were probably around downtown at that time, why did they tear up this one? Oh well, if I'm not mistaken, Richy said they were considering tearing down the Old State Capitol and Hilton building.

570926cr.jpg

570927cr.jpg

570928cr.jpg

It's sad to see an old historic structure be torn down. Cities often begin to lose a sense of their identity in these occurrences. However, in my opinion, that building was UGLY, but i would rather see it then the parking garage that exists now....

Edited by buckett5425

I would have gotten over tearing down the Hilton, but since its saved Im happy. Now the Old Castle, I would have been very upset, that is one building that should not be destroyed by man, its a real castle. I always wanted to know the exact location of the Paramount, thanks to those pics Dan, I now know. Baton Rouge kept few of its old buildings. Poor city tried to be modern.....

Edited by hagetaka

They tore that down to build a parking deck?

That was dumb. It's not the best looking building in the world, but I appreciate the details on the facade that you just don't see in newer buildings....and considering that it was a theater, I'm sure it would make for a good bar, concert hall, etc.

I'd have been furious if they tore down the old capitol though...I'd much rather them knock down the government building between the music hall and the library. That thing is hideous. A parking deck would at least not be as tall and eye-catching, for all of it's ugliness.