Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Thanks for sharing those pics Dan! :thumbsup: My Dad still complains to this day how it's a shame they tore-up the old Paramount Theatre...it would be nice if they could replicate a similar concept on the other end of Third Street...

To think the Old State Capitol would ever be demolished is ludicrous; it's kinda the "heart-n-soul" of the BR IMO...thankfully those women stood in the way

downtown010.jpg

The Governmental Bldg(far right) is BR's poster-child for Brutalist Architecture

BTW Hegetaka...nice shot of the North Blvd promenade...the lighting almost makes it seem like day-time

Edited by richyb83

From beneath everyones eyes too... :o It was a monumental task! But the iconic landmark 450'ft State Capitol has been temporarily moved to Independence Park next to the Main Library while foundation repairs were made due to s(t)ink-holes near Capitol Lake!! Hopefully this will only take a few months to fix...the BR Skyline just is NOT THE SAME w/o our beloved Capitol...

march10055.jpg

APRIL FOOLS !!! :silly:

Lol! I really was stumped by that picture with the hidden State Capitol.

I just got my first camera today, an Olympus Stylus-7010, so of course I had to take a few test shots. Y'all can definitely expect some B.R. pics from me soon! :D

p4090006b.jpg

p4090002x.jpg

p4090013u.jpg

Edited by dan326

Lol! I really was stumped by that picture with the hidden State Capitol.

I just got my first camera today, an Olympus Stylus-7010, so of course I had to take a few test shots. Y'all can definitely expect some B.R. pics from me soon! grin.png

Congrats on the new camera, the test shots are perfect.

Great picture and a great angle.

There are a few angles of downtown that we don't often see. We never see it from the east or the north. The angle from Southern U is pretty awesome too, but I'm a stickler for that old bridge.

Loving this weather. Baton Rouge is so green!

That reminds me....are they ever going to update or re-pave I-110 by the Governor's Mansion? It's hella bumpy.

Edited by cajun

Thanks yall! Hegetaka is right...that's from the DOTD Bldg...

Hey cajun...only bad thing about that angle is the Governmental Bldg is hiding behind new Courthouse & II City Plaza...just kiddin' :rolleyes:

You know BR is still a town and not a city when the Tallest Residential options are the 14-story Presybterian Apts & Kirby Smith Hall at LSU...

Yeah if you like "green" then you will like BR!

78664653.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks hagetaka...that means alot coming from someone that takes big-time photo's like yourself thumbsup.gif

console.gif I don't think I take big time pics, they are basic, I want to get better, much better, have a photography class to take soon (not right now), alot about digital photography I don't understand. The pics I post of here are the selected ones of the batch, I do have many that I am not impressed with. I'm taking a break from photos, I have to take care of my son, get that lil dude right for the summer & next school year. He has no intrest in cameras at all.

before I figured out a few things the night pics gave me the biggest headache & were a bit like this...

Rejects%20(1).JPG

Rejects%20(2).JPG

the original lens was 18-70mm f3.5, f3.5 is no good for night pics, if it is, I have no clue how to get a good shot using it, so I invested in a 50mm f1/8. The new lens took night pics that were fine, but the 50mm make for some very interesting shots, it's fixed so it doesnt fit in the frame, I have to step back or get creative. When I get back to snapping again, I should have a new lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC, hopefully it will be a winner, but I'm not quite ready to drop $440 just yet. The camera is 10.2MP, discontinued, I tell you Sony will get $ out you any way it goes. If I get my wish, I will get the a850 for my birthday, and the photo class will be taken before that purchase. Now with all that said, it all about the glass, lenses matter and a tripod is 100% necessary @ night.

I was driving down Goodwood Blvd, when I decided to go past Lobdell (I've never been past Lobdell going down Goodwood). As I was driving I was casually observing the surroundings when I spotted the huge old Goodwood Plantation home. I remembering reading that Goodwood was named after a plantation, but I figured it had been demolished a long time ago. As ya'll can probably guess, curiosity got he better of me and I decided to go snap a few pictures. The property looked pretty deserted and there was no anti-trespassing sign so I figured I wasn't breaking any rules to by taking a peek around.

When I got home I did a little searching and another guy who stubble upon this property and did a little snooping said he came back a second time and talked to the owner, who was very friendly and gave him a tour. The owner said he was an heir and was doing a renovations. Only thing is this happened a year ago and the pics he took show the same abandoned state as mine. When that guy took some pics of the inside, some mysterious apparitions showed up, so maybe the place is too haunted to occupy?? When I went around the back I did hear a radio playing some old-sounding broadcast, the same occurrence as the first guy. :dontknow:

Edit~05/17/06~: I did a little digging at the library and found a book on plantations. Here's what it said about Goodwood:

This white, cement covered brick home was built in 1856 by Dr. S. G. Laycock on land which was granted to Thomas Hutchings by George III in 1776.

It has broad, iron-railed galleries supported by four Doric columns across the front. Goodwood had running water piped to washstands in all rooms, an unusual feature for a plantation home.

p5160077.jpg

p5160081.jpg

p5160083.jpg

p5160079.jpg

p5160084.jpg

p5160085.jpg

Edited by dan326