• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope something cool goes in the old Cane's location.  Surprised they ever had a location there without a drive thru.  

The new hotel looks good even though they need to fix the lighting on their signage.   Glad that location is a hotel again.   

FYI - there is a facebook group called "old images of Baton Rouge" that is a must follow for this board.   I'm going to put some recent ones here, but there are hundreds, if not thousands just like this .    If you are a fan of this kind of thing, you really need to check in with that group.   It's incredible.    

Sacred Heart Church in 1940ish.

May be an image of outdoors

4th Street in late 1960s/early 1970s

May be an image of car and road

LSU campus about 90 years apart, similar angle - note that the old Swine Palace in the background was one of the first buildings there, and it's still standing and in use today (but now as a theater).

May be an image of outdoors

Beautiful mid century modern Pontiac Dealer on Scenic Highway - 1950s

May be a black-and-white image of 2 people

View of new interstate 10 under construction in Baton Rouge from above Acadian, looking towards downtown - 1961/1962.

279820483_1495959860801037_2954013061311085238_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=0p7zI5-aVVkAX8fRxcO&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT9G5VOl3PoQmSN-JkCn6sFDABXqGDpsui3dxBMYAMGPXA&oe=628927D5'

Another one of Interstate I-110 looking towards City Park Lakes, which is cutting right through Beauregard Town.  I think that's First United Methodist Church right in the center there on North Blvd.  Really wish they could have figured out how to build the highway in a format that wasn't elevated (maybe sunken slightly, so the overpasses could have gone over the highway without an arch).   

May be a black-and-white image of bridge and road

The original Our Lady of the Lake Hospital, where Huey Long was taken after he was shot.     The much larger Claiborne office building and the Louisiana Auditor's office building have taken the place of the old Our Lady of the Lake campus.    That's third street along side the Capitol Park lake.   So Capitol Park Lake was the lake in "Our Lady of the Lake".   

Residents at the giant, bustling Essen Lane hospital today call her "the b*tch by the ditch", apparently due to the intensity of the schedule and training at the hospital.

No photo description available.

Plank Road....a very, very long time ago apparently. 

No photo description available.

I-10 bridge construction in Port Allen, right over the Port of Baton Rouge.    The designers had to build over railroad tracks and LA1, while also making onramps.  It was a clever design, but I wish they were a little smarter on the 110/I-10 junction on the east side (which you can see in the background).   

Anyone else kind of curious as to how they lined up the bridge bents and got the elevations right without modern surveying and stationing equipment?   Must have been insanely complicated.  

May be a black-and-white image of outdoors

LBN tower in downtown Baton Rouge under construction.   OSHA nowhere to be seen in this photo.   This building is now mixed between offices and apartments, and is being completely renovated as of 2022.  

May be an image of 2 people and people standing

Picadilly in Westmoreland Government Street, 1950s.  Very cool architecture and signage IMO.    This shopping center has been converted to a charter school and looks nothing like this today.   I wish Picadilly still had this design language - the old location in the Oil Center in Lafayette was pretty close this and might have been the last one with that style that was still around.

May be an image of 1 person

In any case - please check out the facebook group if you are on the platform.   Contribute, discuss....you won't regret it.    

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1