Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/1/2022 at 2:14 AM, richyb83 said:

IMG_2618.thumb.jpg.d13cfec807398487fa04b876aabc375b.jpg

Can you imagine having the top floor apartments in those buildings, only to have your view blocked by an unusually tall, non-native palm tree?

Also Richyb83 - is that your car on the left with the inspection tag right in front of the driver's field of vision?     Just FYI - it's expired.  

Edited by cajun
  • Haha 1

You got a point Cajun!   Those views would be blocked! A few years ago got the chance to look in one of the top rooms near Barnes & Nobles. That view was nice ; no Palm trees blocking the view.

LOL!  Thats's funny Cajun!  Thankfully that was not my car!

High Temps were close to the mid 90's today....looked like it was going to try to rain; but never did.

IMG_2662.thumb.jpg.314e48973bf13f8f2b6ecc03286b6ebd.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dan326 said:

Hmm.....That picture kinda makes me wonder how much of that stuff we don't see that downtown workers are breathing in each day?

That was the aftermath of an explosion.   It's absolutely not normal.

IMPRESSIVE PIC!

Still remember that day as a little kid!  BOOOM!   What just happened? A Bomb? Thunder ? But it's not raining ! From over 10 Miles away!

Yes indeed Some Record Breaking Cold ...think it got down to 8 degrees the night before....

I understand what you meant Dan326

IMG_2657.thumb.jpg.85861313518ccf20ad198c45405457bc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for dropping by All2Neat!  How are things up in Frisco?  That place is growing crazy fast! The new proposed development on the northern edge near Prosper is very impressive looking; if it can come to fruition?     Hope the old iconic Cane's location on Third Street will be in commerce once again soon!

IMG_2858.thumb.jpg.4292b6f264bb802d13d2a7be2371f270.jpg

IMG_2861.thumb.jpg.dc0a6687bf0d971160fefbacb04a8cb8.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, richyb83 said:

Thanks for dropping by All2Neat!  How are things up in Frisco?  That place is growing crazy fast! The new proposed development on the northern edge near Prosper is very impressive looking; if it can come to fruition?     Hope the old iconic Cane's location on Third Street will be in commerce once again soon!

It’s very fast growth here. Jerry Jones owns a lot of the property in that area so I’d be surprised if it doesn’t happen. It’s also close to the new PGA headquarters so it’s a very key area for growth. Before we know it the burbs will be to Oklahoma. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 2:37 PM, all2neat said:

It’s very fast growth here. Jerry Jones owns a lot of the property in that area so I’d be surprised if it doesn’t happen. It’s also close to the new PGA headquarters so it’s a very key area for growth. Before we know it the burbs will be to Oklahoma. 

I was thinking about how Plano used to be the suburbs (in my memory, I'm sure there were suburbs closer to the city center before my time. Then Frisco developed and Plano became almost like the inner city. Now Frisco is so big it's seeming to have its own suburb with Prosper. And I guess even that's starting to get developed because I've heard Celina, TX mentioned on a few home builder sites.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:32 AM, dan326 said:

I was thinking about how Plano used to be the suburbs (in my memory, I'm sure there were suburbs closer to the city center before my time. Then Frisco developed and Plano became almost like the inner city. Now Frisco is so big it's seeming to have its own suburb with Prosper. And I guess even that's starting to get developed because I've heard Celina, TX mentioned on a few home builder sites.

This small town of Gunter, TX, about 20 miles north of Frisco, recently made the news for a new development on 1200 acres, 7000 houses, and is expected to increase the population of the town by 10x. Celina is becoming very popular. They are great places to live but we do miss things about Louisiana though.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah Cajun  since  June 25th  two months ago  ( taking all of these pics)   i'd say out of " 60 days"  it has rained (measurable precip) close to 50 of those!   . It has gotten old!  Can barely mow grass. Really craving the Sunshine (what little there has been); don't care how hot it is! ...... 

Even the ground is begging for mercy ; you know that by seeing the Mud  turning colors (greenish)!  Bet it has rained 15-17" inches  ( we got more rain than the airport on East side)

IMG_3039.thumb.jpg.014a1583a6f7975f1276be2ff7ff7796.jpg

IMG_2857.thumb.jpg.23b0a938fddad1a988e56bfa8e629d31.jpg

IMG_2843.thumb.jpg.d4dcc97d06580671b111a585380d7ff2.jpg

If you try hard ...you can see the "Eye" "Snout" & "ear"  almost like an animals face

IMG_2754.thumb.jpg.109d0e70d56d55b7b19512a42dcc2da7.jpg

IMG_2750.thumb.jpg.78833a1cbec8fbabef8b31e6af6b5e5c.jpg

Will be sure to include some cool sunsets on the next post:shades:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Yeah Cajun  since  June 25th  two months ago  ( taking all of these pics)   i'd say out of " 60 days"  it has rained (measurable precip) close to 50 of those!   . It has gotten old!  Can barely mow grass. Really craving the Sunshine (what little there has been); don't care how hot it is! ...... 

Even the ground is begging for mercy ; you know that by seeing the Mud  turning colors (greenish)!  Bet it has rained 15-17" inches  ( we got more rain than the airport on East side)

IMG_3039.thumb.jpg.014a1583a6f7975f1276be2ff7ff7796.jpg

IMG_2857.thumb.jpg.23b0a938fddad1a988e56bfa8e629d31.jpg

IMG_2843.thumb.jpg.d4dcc97d06580671b111a585380d7ff2.jpg

If you try hard ...you can see the "Eye" "Snout" & "ear"  almost like an animals face

IMG_2754.thumb.jpg.109d0e70d56d55b7b19512a42dcc2da7.jpg

IMG_2750.thumb.jpg.78833a1cbec8fbabef8b31e6af6b5e5c.jpg

Will be sure to include some cool sunsets on the next post:shades:

Cool pictures!  Those clouds look ominous even though I know they are just bringing heavy rain.  

Reminds me that Baton Rouge gets substantially more rainfall than Seattle because we we get so many showers that carry heavy rain (but also brings down our average temps slightly).    It's kind of impressive that we don't have more drainage problems than what we already have given how rapidly the precip can fall here on already saturated ground.   On the plus side - the city is SUPER green right now, which is very pretty if you can find a few hours without rainfall to enjoy it.  

• Like 2

Bon Marche Mall on Florida Blvd - before Wooddale was even developed.   Probably around 1963 or so.   The property  is now a business center with some state government mixed in, with the front half being a tech incubator for smaller companies.  

Cox Communications is where Montgomery Wards is in this photo.  Baton Rouge theater is still there.   The Holmes department store is now GMFS Mortgage company's offices, I believe.  

May be an image of outdoors

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Another from the excellent Old Images of Baton Rouge facebook group (do follow if you are on facebook).

Below is the original Our Lady of the Lake Hospital on Capitol Lake before it was demolished.  2-3 mid rise office buildings in the Capitol Park Complex have been constructed in its place.     Huey Long was taken to this hospital when he was shot - although he died of his wounds.  

The massive new 1000+ bed Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center on Essen Lane replaced this hospital.   

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Cajun!   BR Growth really took off back then!  Dad and Grandpa told many stories!

Thanks!   Every once in a while i will check for some rotation and twist in the clouds...we simply live too close to the Gulf this time of the year with the heat/humidity ; almost like a tropical rain forest!

It  has rained 10 consecutive days since Aug 19th ...sprinkled lightly this aftrnoon but did not measure in the gauge. Hopefully we will have a Dry  Fall for Football season.  Actually at the BR Airport it had been a very dry year until late June. 

Some of these Summer Sunsets "Orange Tint" has been aided by Saharan Dust from Africa making it's way across the tropical Atlantic & Gulf

IMG_2829.thumb.jpg.175621f94dfe6b47b1680635024b78a8.jpg

IMG_2947.thumb.jpg.3e744839508806fbe325e2a388d05fcf.jpg

A Thunderhead from 30 miles away (O'Neal/Old Hammond Hwy)

IMG_2850.thumb.jpg.79757eb4f18c0d129a1ee9b390dc2dfa.jpg

A little closer from the Hwy 190 Amite River Bridge

IMG_2851.thumb.jpg.0afb51419cbc5aefe1e867c9e7091f06.jpg