41 murders in 100+ days in Jacksonville?!?!

dgreen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jax has always had a sky-high murder rate. It's been one of the highest in the nation for decades. It's also really bizarre, because almost all other crime rates are very low. Not too much property crime, not even that many assualts and such. But our murders are always through the roof.

Also, it's really hard to get worked up about it, I'm sorry to say. So many of the murders are drug dealers killing eachother, and things like that. The local news was interviewing the family of a recent murdered young man. They were talking about what a good kid he was, and how they just didn't understand how this could happen to their baby, etc. etc. But, of course, they show a picture of their little angel ... and he's all thugged-out FLASHING A GANG SIGN. I mean, what does a citizen say to that? Gee, I'm sorry a gang member was killed?

Jax has always had a sky-high murder rate. It's been one of the highest in the nation for decades. It's also really bizarre, because almost all other crime rates are very low. Not too much property crime, not even that many assualts and such. But our murders are always through the roof.

Also, it's really hard to get worked up about it, I'm sorry to say. So many of the murders are drug dealers killing eachother, and things like that. The local news was interviewing the family of a recent murdered young man. They were talking about what a good kid he was, and how they just didn't understand how this could happen to their baby, etc. etc. But, of course, they show a picture of their little angel ... and he's all thugged-out FLASHING A GANG SIGN. I mean, what does a citizen say to that? Gee, I'm sorry a gang member was killed?

I completely 100% AGREE!

And where the murder rate is in Jacksonvile? Almost all within the black community. That tells you something right there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not racist at all, but this needs a good look taken into to see what's going on and what can be done about it! Something's not right with the community if all the murders are happening, right? :dontknow:

Yeah, in reference to the previous comment, roughly 50% of the murders are committed by blacks, and roughly 50% of the total victims are black too. Blacks are very unlikely to kill whites. Whites are very unlikely to kill blacks.

So the white community usually (I have no idea about this year) has the same total number of murders (though the rate is literally halved, since whites make up 75% of the population) But it's still really counterproductive to start going off on a race tangent, I think. It's usually more directly a matter of income.

The 49th Murder that you linked to is much more heartwrenching than most (hence why it's getting the more media coverage than almost any of the others). The victim was a 13 year old boy. However, even in this case, the facts can really produce apathy. They murdered boy was shot to death walking home from a "teen club" at 2am (some reports say 3am) So, you have to ask yourself what the bloody hell an EIGHTH GRADER was doing walking around a rough neighborhood by himself that late at night. What can society do when parents are so negligent to have that kind of lack of supervision?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, don't feel too bad... this is the same thing in every area. My coworkers and I are always talking about how some thug was killed or killed someone else, and his momma is on TV telling the world how good of a kid he was, and how she could never understand the situation.

The smae situation when the police have to kill some thug... there's momma on the TV in front of the world telling everyone how bad the police are that they would kill such a wonderful "child."

• 1 month later...

Yes, I do say I'm sorry a gang member was killed. I'm sorry when anyone loses their life to senseless violence.

Yes, I do say I'm sorry a gang member was killed. I'm sorry when anyone loses their life to senseless violence.

That gang member knew what he was in for by joining a gang. He knew he was gonna get killed sooner or later but disregarded conventional wisdom. I can sympathize with anyone who has lost loved ones to violence. Many of my friends were killed by gunfire, some for no reason & others due to street life involvement. The thing is, they all died before 21. :(

When I lived in Jax 1979-1995, the murder rate was always among the highest in the nation.

From what I'm hearing, nothing has changed.

It's a huge tragedy and the Jax Sheriff's Dept is highly inept to say the least.

What do you expect the Sheriff's Dept to do ? Implant a microchip in the head of every 18-35 yr.old male ? Hire a cop to squat in every home in Jacksonville ?

To a very large extent, all the cops can do is keep score.

Archived