New Jersey Geography

Jerseyman4

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Middlesex/Mercer/Monmouth/Somerset Counties are my home turf, i can only say portions of Salem/Cumberland and Sussex Counties are a bit of gray areas but do know them fairly well.

Atlantic - Been to Atl City & camping/canoing on the Batsto River

Bergen - Been to many small towns there, but I consider it only vaguely familiar territory

Burlington - an aunt lives there, been to a few of the River Line towns

Camden - Been to Camden city a couple of times

Cape May - Have been vacationing in Ocean City for years, have visited Cape May, have taken the ferry

Cumberland - NEVER BEEN! :(

Essex - Very familiar territory. have done lots of work in Newark, the Oranges, Irvington, Montclair

Gloucester - I've been to some of the towns on 55 & 42. Not very familiar territory though

Hudson - Also very familiar. Frequently go to Hoboken, JC, UC, & have visited every town in the county.

Hunterdon - Have been to Flemington & Lambertville. I <3 Lambertville.

Mercer - Familiar with Trenton & Princeton

Middlesex - Familiar with almost everything. I live here!

Monmouth - Familiar with the coastal towns. Dating someone in Ocean Twp. Love Asbury Pk & Ocean Grove

Morris - I work in Morristown, lots of cute towns here. The downtowns of Madison, Chatham, & Boonton are nice.

Ocean - Mostly familiar with Pt Pleasant & Seaside Heights/Seaside Park

Passaic - Have been to Paterson & Wayne, not much else

Salem - Have passed through on 295 & Tpk, never gotten off either.

Somerset - Drive through all the time on 287, have been to Somerset, Manville, Somerville, & Bernardsville

Sussex - Frequently go skiing at Mountain Creek in Vernon Twp., have been to the Del Water Gap

Union - Very familiar with most towns! Have done some work in Eliz, Summit, & along the Rar Valley Line

Warren - Haven't been here much. Worked for a day in Hackettstown.

In sum,

Most familiar: Middlesex, Union, Essex, Hudson, Morris

Moderately familiar: Somerset, Monmouth, Bergen, Mercer, northern Ocean

Know almost nothing about: Warren, Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem

Well let's see...

Burlington Co. - Lived here from birth, for 14 years. I know just about every street of Willingboro (where I lived), Beverly (where I went to school), Delanco, Riverside, and Burlington City, as well as the more rural areas. I can remember a time when much of what is now crappy sprawl in BurlCo, was farmland :(

Camden Co. - Lived here for 5 years but I could tell you how to reach just about any address in the whole county! :D My hometown is Collingswood. I have a friend whose grandparents live in South Camden (city), and I spent a good deal of time there. They say the neighborhood's starting to turn around, which is great to hear. But if you want to know anything about CamCo just ask me cause I know alot! and I try to keep up w/what's going on there.

Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland - Know them fairly well. There's a great little town in Cumberland Co called Fortescue, which is a well kept secret fishing spot for South Jerseyites! :thumbsup: (WARNING: If you ever decide to go to Fortescue, especially during the midsummer, go on a WINDY or at least breezy day. otherwise, you will be EATEN ALIVE by horseflies! )

Cape May, Atlantic, Ocean, Monmouth: Been to Wildwood about 200 or so times. (who hasn't?) You know it's funny but the only time I've been to Cape May itself is on the ferry from Del.! Got friends in Toms River, which is just kind of a boring place.. but it's 10 mins from Seaside!

Mercer, Middlesex - My father used to take me to Thunder games in Trenton, that was fun. And we used to visit my brother when he lived in New Brunswick (Rutgers student) which is a GREAT college town and I wish I'd gone there myself while I had the chance.

Union, Essex, Hudson - My experience here is mostly related to passing through on the way to NY, or visiting the IKEA in Elizabeth! I want to go up to JC and Hoboken to take some photos this summer.

The rest of it I have sporadic knowledge of. I know I've passed through just about every county, on my family's trip to Niagra Falls or other places over the years! The Delaware Water Gap is one place I remember visiting. Very beautiful and tranquil.

Although I do not live in New Jersey I have an aunt and uncles and cousins who live in Annandale (Clinton) area in Hunterdon County and so am fairly familiar with that area. I am also a little familiar with the Morristown area as I have looked at Fairleigh Dickinson in Madison a few times

Although I do not live in New Jersey I have an aunt and uncles and cousins who live in Annandale (Clinton) area in Hunterdon County and so am fairly familiar with that area. I am also a little familiar with the Morristown area as I have looked at Fairleigh Dickinson in Madison a few times

Cool! I work less than 5 minutes away from Fairleigh Dickinson. Clinton is a nice area. I'd like to go ballooning out there sometime.

Cool! I work less than 5 minutes away from Fairleigh Dickinson. Clinton is a nice area. I'd like to go ballooning out there sometime.

Wow thats funny that you said that. My aunt, uncle and cousins live in a very open subdivision in Annandale (Hook Mountain Estates) off of I-78 by the KB Toys Warehouse and a new Courtyard by Marriott Hotel and anyway last summer a hot air balloon landed right in their backyard and they took pictures of it and the lady would like copies of them because it was her anniversry gift

Wow thats funny that you said that. My aunt, uncle and cousins live in a very open subdivision in Annandale (Hook Mountain Estates) off of I-78 by the KB Toys Warehouse and a new Courtyard by Marriott Hotel and anyway last summer a hot air balloon landed right in their backyard and they took pictures of it and the lady would like copies of them because it was her anniversry gift

Cool! That area is well known for ballooning. I've seen several when driving west on I-78. It's a beautiful area for it!

• 4 months later...

I grew up in South River so I'm familiar with the central Middlesex County area...New Brunswick, East Brunswick, South River, Old Bridge, Sayreville and the Amboys.

I have much love for that area of the state. I moved away a month ago and already miss Edison Diner, White Rose System in Highland Park, really bad Thai food from Jasmine in New Brunswick, and even the delightfully trashy gay club Colosseum in Sayreville! :cry:

• 2 months later...
Well let's see...

Burlington Co. - Lived here from birth, for 14 years. I know just about every street of Willingboro (where I lived), Beverly (where I went to school), Delanco, Riverside, and Burlington City, as well as the more rural areas. I can remember a time when much of what is now crappy sprawl in BurlCo, was farmland :(

That's awesome! although, I would recommend against jumping in the Rancocas - it can be quite shallow and there's rocks :P Say, how's the Wboro Town Center and the whole Rte. 130 Corridor coming along? I haven't been there for years now, last I saw it they were just putting a few structures up.

Rte 130 is quite the place, there was one strip Mall there (not far from that old Costumer place, other side of the street), that is totally being redone and looks nice. We were up by there Friday to see my wife's grandmother in Edgewater Park. I don't really know where Willingboro Center is, we really don't go there. We ate at Gaetano's though, which is literally a hop from their house, they have great clam strips....

• 2 years later...

When I was living in Fairfield County CT, I did some driving to the other side of the Tri-State. So the best I know is in the northeast... Passaic, Essex, and Bergen. Got lost a couple months ago near Paramus, then found my way to Route 17 north. Got lost a couple years ago trying to find a highway from Bloomfield Ave., then ended up in Newark somewhere. Spent some time in Montclair, Fairfield, The Caldwells.

I once stopped at Belmar. Once went to the Six Flags, but I was maybe 10 years old at the time. That's all I know for central Jersey. Never been to the shore outside Belmar. Never really gone to south Jersey, beyond 295 or the Turnpike.

Archived