Providence, Rhode Island

ctman987

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They make lottery and gaming equipment and run several state and national lotteries. They're the largest company of their kind in the world. They were recently bought by an Italian firm (Lottomatica I think), but GTECH is so big, the Italian firm bought it, then basically put all the GTECH people in charge. Kind of like the Italian firm paid GTECH to buy them.

Thanks for the info Cotuit!

PART XI : Olneyville

Olneyville is also part of Providence's 175 acre Promenade District

I am not from Providence so cannot fully explain Olneyville properly but Olneyville starts at the far end of Providence's Federal Hill (Little Italy) which itself starts right near downtown. Olneyville is home to many old mills and factories that are now being converted into housing, office and retail space.

Rising Suns Mills: The renovation of the 313,000 square foot National & Providence Worsted Mills which is from 1887. The project ( much of it I believe is now completed) will ultimatly include 151 loft style apartments, 100,000 square feet of office space and it looks like there is a small restaurant on site. When I was there there were people living there or at least parked there

RisingSunMills5.jpg

RisingSunMills.jpg

Eagle Square: Originally the entire complex that was home to historic buildings that housed artists and a flea market was going to be knocked down to make way for a shopping center but fortunatly many opposed this idea and somewhat of a better project evolved. 4 of the 16 buildings were renovated and the complex resembles a mill that has 170,000 square feet of retail space, 50,000 square feet of office space and 40 loft condos which are all sold. The complex was the Valley Worsted Mill that was founded in 1842. Stores at Eagle Square include Dunkin Donuts, Shaws Supermarket, Staples, Pay Half, Blockbuster, Radio Shack and Subway

EagleSquare.jpg

EagleSquare4.jpg

DunkinDonutsatEagleSquare.jpg

Shaws Supermarket at Eagle Square

ShawsatEagleSquare.jpg

The Plant: The complex will include live and work spaces as well as retail and/or office space

ThePlantOlneyville.jpg

50 & 52 Valley Steet: Originally the The Providence Bleaching, Dyeing and Calendaring Mill Complex built in 1845 when completed the complex will include residential units and commercial space

fb591020.jpg

Mural on the side of a building in Olneyville

Olneyvillemural.jpg

Greco Brothers Inc

GrecoBrothersIncOlneyville.jpg

PART XII: Highways in Providence

The main through route in Providence is I-95 which connects Providence with Boston and New York. I-295 starts south of Providence by Warwick and continues northward keeping west of the city until it turns eastward and runs into I-95 again by Attelboro, MA. I-95 starts south of Downcity/ Downtown Providence and runs southward into Mass and continues till it runs into I-495 not far from the beginning of Cape Cod. Route 6 starts outside of Hartford, CT and is the main connection between Hartford and Providence. Originally I-384 which starts east of Downtown Hartford was going to continue all the way to Providence but that never happened leaving small Route 6 as straightest and easier the I-95 connection to Providence

Notice the Foundry Complex which is the red

I-95TheFoundryfromHolidayinn2.jpg

I-95inDowntownProvidence.jpg

OppisitesideofdowntownfromI-95.jpg

Rt.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART XIII

Providence Piers is a major project that is taking shape on the western shore of Providence Harbor. I do not know the current status of the project but when completed it is supposed to contain an improved pier that will or maybe has become home to the Providence Newport Ferry, a conference center, restaurant, a hotel, parking facility and luxury condo towers

ProvidencePiers2.jpg

ProvidencePiers.jpg

Conley's Wharf- The former Dunlop Tire which is a building on the site which has been turned into studio and gallery space

ConleysWharfatProvidencePiers.jpg

Beginning of Route 1A not far from the Providence Piers area

BeginningofRoute1Aarea.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART XIV: The Last Shots - Various unrelated projects and scenes of Providence

Looking towards the Westin from Westminster St

LookingtowardsWestinfromWestminster.jpg

These two buildings are supposed to be knocked down to make way for an 11 story hotel in Providence's ever growing hotel market

FuturesiteofClarionSuitesHotel.jpg

The former Providence Fruit and Produce Warehouse built in 1929. A developer has bought the building and submitted plans to turn it into a Quincy market style facility

ProvidenceFruitandProducePackagingW.jpg

View outside of the Johnson and Wales main campus in Downcity

OutsideJohnsonWalestowardsProvidenc.jpg

Various views (not towards downcity's skyscrapers or the convention center area) from the Cafe at Nordstroms at the Providence Place Mall

LookingoutfromCafeNordstroms.jpg

LookingoutfromCafeNordstroms2.jpg

LookingoutfromCafeNordstroms3.jpg

Wow, what great pics. Thanks for capturing Providence so well!

Did you happen to capture any pictures of the Armory District? I see you got Olneyville and Federal hill, was a bit surprised not to see the Armory neighborhood as well. Some of the most interesting housing stock in the city is in this neighborhood. Broadway was recently designated a Historic USA Main Street and has some beautiful homes. Not to mention the Cranston St Armory itself.

If not and you do come back to Providence, this is a neighborhood not to miss!

These two buildings are supposed to be knocked down to make way for an 11 story hotel in Providence's ever growing hotel market

FuturesiteofClarionSuitesHotel.jpg

Only the nearer of those two buildings is slated for demolition. The one in the middle should receive a facade restoration, and the one with the scaffolding is in the midst of rehabilitation, that will be AS220 artist space.

The building slated for demolition has three businesses in it, the developer has made promises to relocate them.

Wow, a remarkably complete look at Providence! Thanks for visiting and for sharing that remarkable photo collection.

- Garris

PS: For completeness sake, the area of the East Side near the water where you took your photographs is Blackstone Park.

Did you happen to capture any pictures of the Armory District? I see you got Olneyville and Federal hill, was a bit surprised not to see the Armory neighborhood as well. Some of the most interesting housing stock in the city is in this neighborhood. Broadway was recently designated a Historic USA Main Street and has some beautiful homes. Not to mention the Cranston St Armory itself.

If not and you do come back to Providence, this is a neighborhood not to miss!

I think I may have missed this area or not known I was there. Where exactly is the Armory district in relationship to downcity or federal hill or olneyville, etc.

PS: For completeness sake, the area of the East Side near the water where you took your photographs is Blackstone Park.

Thanks for help

Where exactly is the Armory district in relationship to downcity or federal hill or olneyville, etc. Thanks for help

It's more or less the border between Federal Hill and the West End on this map, more in the West End.

PVD-Hoods-MAP.gif

Broadway and Westminster street are the two main thoroughfares of the Armory District. The both converge at Rt 10 and you can turn onto Valley St which you photographed so nicely. Thats why i was surprised not to see coverage of this neighborhood. You were so close!

All I can say is... wow. I'm really impressed with all that's going on in Providence. And that mall is huge for what I expected to see in Providence (no offense, I just didn't know the place was building up as much as it is!) By the way, in the food court photo, was that a Johnny Rockets counter showing on the left-hand side? I thought I also saw a Popeye's in that photo. Mmmmmm good... :)

Great pics... thanks for sharing them with the world.

By the way, in the food court photo, was that a Johnny Rockets counter showing on the left-hand side?

Yup, you can sit at the bar or take your food to the regular food court seating. There's also a Johnny Rockets in Thayer Street on the East Side (near Brown University).

• 3 months later...

Archived