Downtown Walkabout.

bobjgumby

Well, my father works for GM. So basically if we buy a GM vehicle we get a discount. It also helps if people continue buying their products anyway.

If you care so much about GM not being loyal, then why not try to get Toyata to move to Flint?

Although I will admit that I do have a liking for foreign cars, it helps if anyone I know can still buy a GM vehicle because it puts food on the table for me and hopefully help keep me in college. My father has now taken voluntary pay cuts so basically I'm on my own paying for grad school. And I'm not alone either. Think of the thousands of student now across Mid-Michigan who have to do the same because their family's primary source of income is reduced or in question. I know several friends of mine in worse situations. And it's not like their parents who are in their 40's and 50's can just go and find new work. The only hope is that people will continue to support the company.

I don't think you understand how complicated things are within the company. It's not about loyalty to the city. What do you expect a company that is going bankrupt to do? It's about production costs and benefits that are running the company into the ground. The fact is, they support buying GM products because they support the region. It's foolish to localize the problem to Flint when the impact would affect Michigan, if not a good part of the nation.

Until Toyota starts building more factories and tech facilities across Michigan and start hiring displaced employees, I'll change my mind. But as of now, I think it's great of people support local companies since our region's welfare still rest in their hands.

To be totally honest, I'dl like to end this conversation immediately. I'm sorry to dump this long post in a photo thread. Bob, your photos are excellent. In fact the best I've seen of Flint in quite a while.

I just don't think this is the place to start a rant, whether you support domestic automakers or not.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll second that motion. I knew it would snowball like that and I probebly should have started a different topic. It just caught my eye in the photos, which were nice btw Bob.

I agree as well. There are always more photos on the way and in fact I have a historical thread coming up soon. I have some really old newspapers (as well as the first issue of Sports Illustrated :D in really good condition) that my great-grandfather had saved and they have been passed along to me about a year ago. I will post some old advertisements, pictures and stories found therein.

I have the infamous Beecher tornado one, Kennedy assassanation (mentioning about how they thought the shots came from the grassy knoll) and subsequent Lee Harvey Oswald killing, Pearl Harbor day before, day of, and after, 50th and 75th anniversery editions, and several others. I will post a teaser right now.

I can't see the pictures right now (I'm at work), but I'm glad to hear that the Swayze Apartments are going to be fixed up. I was disappointed to see the windows being boarded up last year (unless I'm thinking of the wrong building).

Can't wait to get home and see the pics of the Federal Courthouse, either. I love that building. I can never seem to get a good photo of the building. :(

Edit: I think I wrote "building" a little too much, but I'm too lazy to fix it, lol.

I can't see the pictures right now (I'm at work), but I'm glad to hear that the Swayze Apartments are going to be fixed up. I was disappointed to see the windows being boarded up last year (unless I'm thinking of the wrong building).

Can't wait to get home and see the pics of the Federal Courthouse, either. I love that building. I can never seem to get a good photo of the building. :(

Edit: I think I wrote "building" a little too much, but I'm too lazy to fix it, lol.

Yeah you are thinking of the right building dnast. I too was extremly disappointe to see the boards go up. I noticed the sold signs the other day and was really excited. When I took the pics there were a bunch of vehicles in the parking lot (plumbers and the like). I am really happy about that.

Archived