Train Stations

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pawtucket Train Station:

The station is obviously abandoned, the last train serviced the station I think in the 70s. Currently there is a proposal to rehabilitate the station and connect it to Boston and Providence via the MBTA Commuter Rail. Amtrak's highspeed Acela rail line passes through the station and there is a chance that Amtrak could serve it in the future.

131053323_3353a4e2fc_o.jpg

131053335_94af511575_o.jpg

131053344_a3b355ffb6_o.jpg

Detroit's train station, the Michigan Central Depot, was completed in 1913. It was designed by noted hotel architects Warren & Wetmore and engineers Reed and Stem, who also designed Grand Central Station in New York. The station served Detroit well until the post war era, when the number of passengers began to decline. Unfortunately, the number of passengers dropped so low that the decision was made to close the station. The last train departed on January 5, 1988, and the station began its quiet decay. The station went through a succession of owners, ultimately ending up in the hands of Manny Moroun, a Detroit businessman who owns the nearby Ambassador Bridge. There was talk of turning the building into the Detroit Police heaquarters, but the plan proved to be unfeasible, so the station continues to decay. It has been seen in several movies, most recently, The Island. The station will likely be demolished.

The Michigan Central Depot from Roosevelt Park

IMG_7115.jpg

The rear of the depot. The rails behind the station are still active

IMG_7121.jpg

Looking towards downtown Detroit from the 16th floor

DSC_0135.jpg

The grand 54.5' tall waiting room

DSC_0102.jpg

Here was my small cities main train station:

Michigan Central Railroad Depot (Union Station), built in 1902, it closed in 1972 but was renovated as a restaurant in 1972, which remains to this day.

UnionStationLansingMI-2[AlanLoftisColl].jpg

L2141.jpg

The other station, our Grand Trunk Western Depot on the near southside in REOTown (built in 1902), was also a restaurant after closing in 1972, but now sits vacant:

GTWLansingDepotPostcard[DaveFulkerthColl].jpg

GTWLansingDepot2003[AlanLoftis].jpg

GTWLansingDepot2003-2[AlanLoftis].jpg

All these abandoned stations are depressing me. Here's a rendering of what the Pawtucket Station could look like when rehabilitated. There's an alternate proposal that calls for a mid-rise residential tower on site too.

rendering_large.jpg

Wow, Richmond's train station is beautiful. Unfortunately passenger train service still hasn't made its way back to Shreveport, so we don't have any active train stations. One of the city's remaining older train stations was recently razed to make room for the new convention center hotel. The other remaining station, Central Station, is still downtown and is now a gay nightclub. I'll have to snap some photos of it soon and post them on here. It even still has some old passenger cars parked behind it.

I can't seem to find a good picture of Bemidji's old railway station. It closed in the 1970s to passenger traffic and sat unused for 25 years. It was renovated and now houses the Beltrami County Historical Society. Part of the railwaystation (not for passenger traffic, but for offices, etc.) was renovated 15 years ago for a restaurant but now sits vacant awaiting a move for a new convention center.

But here, I thought I'd post a few pictures of Salzburg's main station:

Salz-mt.jpg

Here's Itzling Lokalbahnhof (Local trainstation)

Itzling-mt.jpg

Here are some cargo trains at the Salzburg station:

Salz-03-mt.jpg

For fun: Here's the Munich main station:

20041230_munich_hauptbahnhof_1.jpg

And here's the ICE train, Germany's fastest train. On some portions of track it travels 330kph or 200mph.

It can travel easily at 180kph (110mph) on normal tracks, and often does 200-250kph on tracks that aren't dedicated to ICE.

300px-ICE_train.jpg

The old Central Station just south of downtown Shreveport. It's now a gay nightclub and is the residence of the two ladies who own the club (as I found out when they discovered me taking pictures.)

142291057.jpg

Old train cars which still sit on the tracks behind the station. I wasn't exactly shocked to discover people actually living in these, since I've encountered numerous homeless people in the area directly around the old station. Oh, and that's I-20 overhead.

142291047.jpg

142291032.jpg

It looks like it must have been a beautiful train station! Its a shame to see it in the condition it is now...Thanks for the pictures :)

Yes, my mother loves to tell me about the old station. She grew up literally within walking distance of it... about 1 block south of where the station stands. Her old house is gone, but that area still holds a place in her heart. It's a scary area now, though. When I took these photos, I never left my car. My doors were all locked and the only window I had down was the driver's side window. I've had too many bad experiences with the homeless in that area... they're a rather bitter bunch.

On the bright side, I saw something cool about that spot last night, though! I was just down there taking these pictures on Sunday and then on last night's episode of Thief on FX, there it was! Some of these same secnes were even on that show... the station, the skyline in the background, and the old train cars. After they stole the money from the airplane, they drove it to this spot to do the switch. That was really cool to see! :D

Oh, and that's a little toy ghost in the window in the very middle of the building, above the front center archway. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've always thought that Chicago's Union Staion was really beautiful. Comparable to Grand Central... almost. :)

Here are a few pictures of Tokyo Station. Though I really don't ever transfer through there (too many people, I make my change elsewhere)... a lot of people use it. It's really beautiful and HUGE. I'm not sure if it's as big as shinjuku station though, but you can take way better pictures of Tokyo St and you can of Shinjuku.

aag.sized.jpg

Tokyo%20station.jpg

Union Station, Little Rock, AR

There is some retail and offices in here and it continues to be a functioning Amtrak station. It also was the birthplace of national chain Dave & Buster's.

081804USNightStationSign-8RESIZE.jpg

I had no idea Dave & Buster's started in Little Rock. And yet the city doesn't have one anymore? What's up with that? Did they become too "good" for Little Rock?

I had no idea Dave & Buster's started in Little Rock. And yet the city doesn't have one anymore? What's up with that? Did they become too "good" for Little Rock?

At one time the Train Station was a mini-entertainment district.

Buster's was an upscale restaurant and next door was Slick Willy's, a bar/pool hall/arcade. The owners became good friends and decided to open up a restaurant together in Dallas in 1982 and later the chain emerged from this. Buster's and Slick Willy's stayed open for years while this was going on but later the train station lost its relevance and Slick Willy's went under when the River Market district took over. Perhaps one day the chain-style Dave and Buster's will come back to LR but it'll never be as cool as the original places were.

At one time the Train Station was a mini-entertainment district.

Buster's was an upscale restaurant and next door was Slick Willy's, a bar/pool hall/arcade. The owners became good friends and decided to open up a restaurant together in Dallas in 1982 and later the chain emerged from this. Buster's and Slick Willy's stayed open for years while this was going on but later the train station lost its relevance and Slick Willy's went under when the River Market district took over. Perhaps one day the chain-style Dave and Buster's will come back to LR but it'll never be as cool as the original places were.

Very interesting. So Little Rock never actually had Dave & Buster's, but it was kicked off there. Who'd have thunk it!? Isn't Dave & Buster's similar to Jillian's?

Anyway, sorry to go off-topic with this but this whole Dave & Bbuster's thing really surprised me.

Archived