Train Stations

At one time the Train Station was a mini-entertainment district.

Buster's was an upscale restaurant and next door was Slick Willy's, a bar/pool hall/arcade. The owners became good friends and decided to open up a restaurant together in Dallas in 1982 and later the chain emerged from this. Buster's and Slick Willy's stayed open for years while this was going on but later the train station lost its relevance and Slick Willy's went under when the River Market district took over. Perhaps one day the chain-style Dave and Buster's will come back to LR but it'll never be as cool as the original places were.

At one time there was also another restaurant downstairs from Buster's next to the tracks. I think the name was Tracks Inn. Before that was a large covered walkway from the lobby of the station that extended over the tracks. People would walk down the stairs to the waiting trains. It was made up of old iron work. Too bad it was taken down.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few pictures of Tokyo Station. Though I really don't ever transfer through there (too many people, I make my change elsewhere)... a lot of people use it. It's really beautiful and HUGE. I'm not sure if it's as big as shinjuku station though, but you can take way better pictures of Tokyo St and you can of Shinjuku.

I understand that Shinjuku is larger than Tokyo station, hard to tell though, isn't it? Tokyo station seems to go on, and on, and on in certain places!

Very interesting. So Little Rock never actually had Dave & Buster's, but it was kicked off there. Who'd have thunk it!? Isn't Dave & Buster's similar to Jillian's?

Anyway, sorry to go off-topic with this but this whole Dave & Bbuster's thing really surprised me.

Never heard of Jillian's. Dave and Buster's is kind of an odd mix of moderately upscale restaurant, pool hall, bar(s), super-arcade and Chuck E Cheese. There are 30 locations but more are in the largest handful of metro areas. All of the facilities, including the restaurant, are open late.

I understand that Shinjuku is larger than Tokyo station, hard to tell though, isn't it? Tokyo station seems to go on, and on, and on in certain places!

the only reason that Tokyo station seems so huge is the transfer between the Keiyo Line and all of the rest, which are mostly ight next to one another. That transfer SUCKS though! I swear you have to walk about a mile.

Tokyo and Shinjuku btoh have about the same amount of lines... but Shinjuku's are farther spread out since it has more systems (JR, Keio, Odakyu, Toei Subway, Tokyo Subway) than Tokyo (JR mostly & 1 Tokyo Metro line). You can walk for like... 15-20 minutes after leaving Shinjuku Station and still run into exits. I also think more people transfer through SHinjuku daily than Tokyo.

800px-Shinjuku-station-night.jpg

the only reason that Tokyo station seems so huge is the transfer between the Keiyo Line and all of the rest, which are mostly ight next to one another. That transfer SUCKS though! I swear you have to walk about a mile.

Exactly! Recently found myself using the Musashino line into Tokyo station and the walk to the Yamanote never seemed to end! At least they have those moving sidewalks in parts... :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Columbia, SC

The South Carolina Railroad Station, a former freight station was built in 1846-53 by the South Carolina Railroad. It is possible that it also served as a passenger facility for that railroad, but when rebuilt in 1867 after being burned by Sherman in 1865, it was only a freight facility. After the railroad tracks were removed in the mid-80's it was renovated in the early 1990's as offices and the Jillian's restraunt.

scrr6.jpg

scrs3.jpg

The former Seaboard Air Line Station stands at 903 Gervais Street and was built in 1903. It now houses the Blue Marlin Restaurant.

61424099.BlueMarlin4Small.jpg

61424104.BlueMarlin9Small.jpg

The Seaboard Air Line Freight Station (902 Gervais St) was buit in 1903. A Longhorn Steakhouse restaurant now occupies the building.

57364999.Longhorn1Small.jpg

colasal6.jpg

Union Station (c. 1902) was designed by Frank Pierce Milburn (the same guy who designed the SC Statehouse dome) early in the 20th century to serve the ACL and Southern Railways. ACL and Southern railroad passenger service ceased by 1968. Over the years it served many uses but for the last decade it has been home to the California Dreaming Restaurant.

6633.jpg

union_station.jpg

66464050.jpg

Charleston, SC

A good example of adaptive reuse is that of the old SAL station on East Bay Street. This station constructed in 1914 used to be twice its current length, but half of the station was destroyed in 1979. It currently houses a Harris Teeter grocery store.

ht.jpg

ht2.jpg

The building that currently houses the Charleston Music Hall was once called Tower station and was the passenger station for the South Carolina Railroad. This structure had been built around 1850, and was sold by the railroad around 1878.

castle1.jpg

castle2.jpg

The old Union Station was in downtown Charleston, located at the corner of Columbus and East Bay. The station was completed in 1907 at a cost of $250,000. It served at the joint station between the Southern Railroad, and the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. Unfortunately, the station burned in a horrible fire on January 10, 1947.

hcharl1.jpg

hcharl5.jpg

If anyone is a junkie for this type of stuff, this website covers nearly every train station in SC, whether it's still standing or not.

i dont have a picture but you may easily find one of the union terminal in my hometown, cincinnati. you might recognize the striking similarity to the (fictional) justice league of america headquarters (union terminal came first). it is art deco style, and like some of these others, built right before rail traffic began to decline. now it is a museum. i read that it was the first half-dome in the western hemisphere at completion. it has one acoustic novelty: at the front of the rotunda, to the left and to the right of the front entrance, there are two drinking fountains opposite one another, hundreds of feet apart. each is at a foot of the same arc. 2 people can talk to eachother audibly from one fountain to the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of the London terminal stations. As well as long distance services, these stations also serve suburban services.

London Waterloo. Towards south west, Portsmouth, Southampton and so on. Plus Eurostar international services to Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and even Euro Disney.

020617_waterloo.jpg

041111_waterloo.jpg

europe03-photo3.jpg

London Kings Cross. East Coast Main Line, towards York, Leeds, Newcatle, Edinburgh and so on. The train to Harry Potter's school departs here!! (like I care)

GNR_Kings2.jpg

06140a.jpg

London St Pancras. Towards East Midland regions, Nottingham, Leicester. Also Sheffield and some parts of Yorkshire. In the future, the Eurostar service will depart from here.

kveen048s.jpg

London Eustion. West Coast Main Line, towards Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and so on.

CCM-Euston.jpg

a0055525_913837.jpg

London Paddington. Towards West, South West region of England. Also Southern Wales.

aw_london55.jpg

Paddington_Station.jpg

London Victoria. Towards south east and south part of England.

victoria.jpg

rs1.jpg

London Bridge. Towards southeast and south part of England. Also through train from London Charing Cross.

cdlbr01.jpg

030712_bridgebar.jpg

London Liverpool Street. Towards East Anglia, Norwich, Ipswich and so on.

liverpool-street-station-london-s.jpg

275px-Liverpool_Street_station_concourse.jpg

London Charing Cross. Towards south east part of London and follow on to the neighbouring counties.

kveen0548s.jpg

P11500.jpg

London Cannon Street. Towards south east part of London and follow on to the neighbouring counties. Terminal of Financial District.

041216_n002.jpg

London Fenchurch Street. Towards north bank of the River Thames Estuary.

mvc-005f.jpg

London Moorgate. Toward north east part of London, also follow on to the neighbouring counties.

300px-Moorgate.jpg

London Marylebone. Towards north west part of London and follow on towards neighbouring counties. Also to West Midland.

79015771_50f87990c4.jpg

79016051_2ec26de1e1.jpg

This is Taipei Railway Staiton, in my home town in Taiwan. The railway tracks are underground, which were converted from surface line back in the late 80's, in order to avoid level crossing which caused congestion. This station covers all types of services, local, gegional and national. And soon, the newly built Taiwan High Speed Rail (Shikansen, Japanese Bullet Train) will also depart from this station as well. (Taipei-Kaoshung, 200 mile journey take 4:30 on normal train and 1:30 on High Speed train)

Nowadays the station became the meeting point or place to hang out for those Southeastern Labourers, mainly Fillipinos and Indonesians. Becouse it is a only indoor area with large space which has Air Con on (Taipei is very hot and humid in the Summer). The 2nd floor used to be department store. Today, half of the retail units became Indonesian or Fillipino shops.

Exterior

004.jpg

Concourse

taipei-station2-s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is Nashville's beautiful old Union Station opened in 1900.

post-8371-1162266079_thumb.jpg

Currently a hotel. There was a giant awning covering the track, but was destroyed by a tornado that ripped through downtown in the late 90's.

post-8371-1162266251_thumb.jpg

This is our brand new(pathetic) and only functioning station for our new commuter rail line. If you can't tell by the track, it is the terminus for a 32 mile line that just opened in september. The plan is to add another 6 lines to the system, hopefully using the old Union Station yard area as the hub.

post-8371-1162266345_thumb.jpg

post-8371-1162266079_thumb.jpg

post-8371-1162266251_thumb.jpg

post-8371-1162266345_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived