Ess Lounge

Justin6882

Ess Lounge and Nightclub opens tonight (April 13th) for those interested. Its across from Nana's in the Depot building (its about time something went in there).

Here's a link if any are interested - looks like its going to be much of the same, but at least there will be another option.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, Kulture, Ess, Amras, the one accross from 518....is it just me or can this city only absorb so many sterile lounges? Times Bar, Burrough(Burrow?), and Side Track will hopefully be a bit different (read better). I suppose we need as many people coming downtown as possible but sheesh lets teach this pony a new trick....

wow, Kulture, Ess, Amras, the one accross from 518....is it just me or can this city only absorb so many sterile lounges? Times Bar, Burrough(Burrow?), and Side Track will hopefully be a bit different (read better). I suppose we need as many people coming downtown as possible but sheesh lets teach this pony a new trick....

I think its great all these places are opening up everywhere DT. Let the floodgates open and soon there will be a variety.

I think its great all these places are opening up everywhere DT. Let the floodgates open and soon there will be a variety.

It'll pan out. Remember when Stool Pigeons was Rhino Club? Apparently that part of Glen South wasn't ready for an older, more sophisticated thing so it wound up as a college sports type of bar. Which is fine, we need those too!

I drove by last night and it seemed like Ess and White Collar Crime had decent crowds. The side outside deck area seemed to be full, but I was driving so I couldn't get too good of a look. This would be only a few blocks from Alive After 5, if it returns to the old location.

Yes, I don't think everything opening right now will stay as they are. There may be a casulty or two along the way -- Pooles and Kings may give way to development pressure in the next few years. There was a dance club in what is now the Pour House, but it was only open a year or so. On Martin Street Retail gave way to Martin Street Music Hall which is again a music club. I kept my old Rhino Club key until a year or so ago when it didn't make sense any more to hold on to it. It was weird to have the whole place to myself most nights from Sunday to Wednesday, and to be able to park anywhere! The "in crowd" was still checking out Jillians and Five Star then, I think. :rofl:

Kulture could be the coffee/bar/"meeting/third place" equivalent to Helios, Nana's is like Sullivans and Bogarts, White Collar and Humble Pie have a Rockford/Hibernian come as you are feel, and Oxygen/Office were both dancing before Aura opened. Jillians and Flying Saucer fill in the college/hang out/sports bar niche. The Warehouse may have succeeded in the area, but it was ahead of its time in "no man's land" for too long.

But do we need two Glenwood Souths? Right now, the area can support probably one and a half, which is what this new district supplies. Glenwood south won't go away, but will mature/transform into a neighborhood with all the condos there, and this could be the bar/club district. I don't think the neighbors (Amtrak, Gas company) will complain about the noise LOL. I think there is a women's shelter on Cabarrus, but not sure if it is a residence or just offices. Behind that is a VW repair shop a friend of mine used to work in -- agian, no complaining neighbors (see Hillsborough St., Five Points) is a good thing.

I hope to go on a drinking tour, starting at Times Bar, sometime in the near future to check all these places out!

I envision a DT version of the old Hillsborough Hike. You'd start at one end (either Jackpot or Players Retreat, depending on how much time you had) and work your way down over the course of an afternoon/evening, one drink per stop. I never did it while in school, but now I feel like I missed out...

A lot of bars have disappeared on Hillsborough, so this tradition may have been moved to Glenwood?

The walking helps make you thirsty when you get to the next bar!

This one could start at Times bar, then on to AliBi/the music hall, maybe Pooles, Kulture, White Collar Crime, Ess, maybe Nana's/Humble Pie, then on to Amra's (though not sure if I'd wear a collared shirt), Hibernian, maybe the place across from 518 (not sure about dress code/membership requirements), then maybe Napper Tandys/Blue Martini, Flying Saucer, the Borough when it opens, Capital Room, and Zydego or Woodys in city market. Some tweaking may be needed depending on hours of operation.

Ahh the Hike - it's still alive and kicking - in fact I'll be attending it again (even though I've graduated, I'm still close enough I can pull it off).

And for my best friend and my birthday's we play "bar golf" downtown. Basically go to 9 bars, one drink is par at each "hole" and every extra drink over the one gives you one under par, etc. There are "water hazards" at a few places where you can't go to the bathroom, and "sandtraps" where we make up some dumb rule and if you break it you get strokes added to your score. 20 minutes at each bar, and after nine everyone is usually feeling really good, or passed out in my living room, haha.

Our route last year was along glenwood south - but we'll probably change it this year and start in City Market and move up to Fayetteville Street and the warehouse district. We also tried to do the 12 bars of Christmas this year - basically teh same premise, just with 3 more bars. Most everyone didn't make it to the last two, haha.

Archived