Norfolk Business

VAGATOR

The reality is that we have only just begun. I have no doubt that Ford is leaving, and the sooner the city and state come to that same conclusion then we can move forward. My hope is that Ford hits the city and state with a flat out "CLOSED, THAT'S OUR FINAL ANSWER" very soon. That will let them know real quick that they are barking up the wrong tree. It also gives us some time to get Ford the "F-out" and try our hardest to get a replacement automaker in there. If not an automaker then something of greater or equal value. The state better open up it's wallet to lure something BIG here because this is not just a Norfolk/HR issue.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the state to help us out. If they decide to help the plant will land somewhere else besides here.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't hold my breath waiting for the state to help us out. If they decide to help the plant will land somewhere else besides here.

Are you kidding? You're taking this inferiority complex way too far. So now the state will move the Ford plant to Danville because the state has it in for HR? What are you smoking? Cause I'd like to get in on some. And Ford is not going to hold onto the property. They're closing it because they need to save money. Paying property tax on a property that probably paid off is not a way to save money. They'll get more money liquedating the factory assests than using it as a tax write-off. Ford will shed the property.

As for another automaker, I don't think that will happen. Foreign automakers come to America to build cars for America. Benefits for Japanese and European automakers are cheaper labor and the ability to circumvent tarrifs. Foreign makers don't locate here to assemble cars for foreign markets, which would be the appeal of having a factory with deep water access. However, an engine maker like Cummins (or maybe a foreign maker engines here) or heavy machinery company like Milicron with overseas customers would work well.

And for all the NFL or NASCAR-heads out there, how's does that massive property appeal to you?

Are you kidding? You're taking this inferiority complex way too far. So now the state will move the Ford plant to Danville because the state has it in for HR? What are you smoking? Cause I'd like to get in on some. And Ford is not going to hold onto the property. They're closing it because they need to save money. Paying property tax on a property that probably paid off is not a way to save money. They'll get more money liquedating the factory assests than using it as a tax write-off. Ford will shed the property.

As for another automaker, I don't think that will happen. Foreign automakers come to America to build cars for America. Benefits for Japanese and European automakers are cheaper labor and the ability to circumvent tarrifs. Foreign makers don't locate here to assemble cars for foreign markets, which would be the appeal of having a factory with deep water access. However, an engine maker like Cummins (or maybe a foreign maker engines here) or heavy machinery company like Milicron with overseas customers would work well.

And for all the NFL or NASCAR-heads out there, how's does that massive property appeal to you?

I wasn't implying that they would move the FORD PLANT somewhere else but if they tried to attract another. I'm not smoking the good stuff cause I'm not in California I'm in HR. Alot of this is just frustration because it just seems like we are getting some big blows to this area. It feels like the state just doesn't do enough for this area.

I wasn't implying that they would move the FORD PLANT somewhere else but if they tried to attract another. I'm not smoking the good stuff cause I'm not in California I'm in HR. Alot of this is just frustration because it just seems like we are getting some big blows to this area. It feels like the state just doesn't do enough for this area.

This is what happens when you lack diversity in your local economy. Some people need to start blaming the idiot politicans they elect instead of blaming monolithic Commonwealth of Virginia, espeically since Hampton Roads recenty has had the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate from the area.

This is what happens when you lack diversity in your local economy. Some people need to start blaming the idiot politicans they elect instead of blaming monolithic Commonwealth of Virginia, espeically since Hampton Roads recenty has had the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate from the area.

It seems that as soon as they get up there they forget about this area. I agree that this region needs to look to diversify our economy. I think the area is trying but we just can't attract anything hear. I don't know why businesses are so polarized to this area.

Thank you. I'd add that this Ford closure had very little to do with Hampton Roads. Ford is struggling to compete with its competitors and stay in the black. The closing of the Norfolk Ford plant is just a consequence of that. It's extremely unfortunate and I hope something fills the void soon, but there's nothing the state or anyone else can do about Ford struggling.

What we need to do is find better representation for HR up in the state. They suck and just roll over like good dogs.

We've got people like Joannou and Wardrup representing Hampton Roads in the House making statements like the ones in the article posted a few days ago about transportation funds, and they're basically advocating doing nothing to fix transportation IN THEIR OWN REGION!!! I can't believe it when I read that they're trying loudly to stop new funds from coming into the area to fix such a major problem. They're shooting themselves and all of us in the foot just to please a group of people who ignorantly believe that the state has no business taxing citizens to pay for public works projects - even ones that are so desperately needed. If they get their way, it's almost certain that none of these major projects we've been needing for years and spending millions to study will come to be anytime in the next decade. And the worst part is, neither of those delegates is going to take any real heat for that and they'll both be re-elected, no question. How can we possibly complain about the way the state treats us when we vote for people who would gladly turn away this money that the rest of the state (the senate and governor) are ready to give us with relatively minor strings attached?

Bingo Gosscj. Its amazing we are still fighting over a regional transportational authority in the year 2005. And people wonder why we are having major problems attracting major business and educational opportunities that would lessen the blow when companies like Ford and the military downsizes. Honestly with the miltary shifting its focus toward the West Coast(China, India) it may get worst in Hampton Roads, especially Norfolk, before it gets any better.

Channel 13 just announced that Toyota officials toured Chesapeake And Ile of White for a possible plant. Sounds like it's a small chance but a chance none the less. If it happens it will be huge for this area and the employees of Ford, who more than likely would be given first consideration.

Channel 13 just announced that Toyota officials toured Chesapeake And Ile of White for a possible plant. Sounds like it's a small chance but a chance none the less. If it happens it will be huge for this area and the employees of Ford, who more than likely would be given first consideration.

I doubt very seriously they would given first consideration. Toyota isn't looking for a unionized workforce in the U.S. These things take years anyway, and Toyota would likely wait until the Ford plant closes before making any announcement. The Ford plant closing would actually improve the chances of Toyota selecting someplace like HR, but not because of wanting to takeover the old Ford plant.

It's a shame the media is playing with people's hearts like that.

There's a front page article in the online pilot about it now, and I certainly agree with you. It seems that they are over-hyping this, when it is such a remote possibility that it normally wouldn't get more than a brief paragraph or two in the business section. Shame on the Pilot. :angry:

Other states/countries/provinces/cities have a habit (as the article mentions) of tossing hundreds of millions of tax payers dollars at large manufacturing companies, and I wouldn't expect this time to be any different.

There's a front page article in the online pilot about it now, and I certainly agree with you. It seems that they are over-hyping this, when it is such a remote possibility that it normally wouldn't get more than a brief paragraph or two in the business section. Shame on the Pilot. :angry:

Other states/countries/provinces/cities have a habit (as the article mentions) of tossing hundreds of millions of tax payers dollars at large manufacturing companies, and I wouldn't expect this time to be any different.

The going rate is around 400 million dollars these days, that's what the state of Georgia recently gave Kia.

I saw an article about this as well. It looks like Toyota will be considering Southern Hampton Roads as one of the 10 finalists for its new plant. While I would like it to come to the Roanoke area, I'm equally as hopeful it will locate in HR. Either location would be better than going to another state as far as I'm concerned. Good luck HR !! You never know, some analysts were saying that the proximity to NS rail and the port were attractive to Toyota. Maybe the incentives wouldn't have to be as big as other states'. And I'm guessing that the former Ford workers would be welcomed, although the union would probably dissolve. You guys are probably right that this is over-hyped, but sometimes hype is what gets the attention of other large employers who haven't been exposed to the opportunities in HR.

I doubt very seriously they would given first consideration. Toyota isn't looking for a unionized workforce in the U.S. These things take years anyway, and Toyota would likely wait until the Ford plant closes before making any announcement. The Ford plant closing would actually improve the chances of Toyota selecting someplace like HR, but not because of wanting to takeover the old Ford plant.

What I mean't was the Ford workers are already skilled in the industry. You would already have a trained workforce. Training cost lots of money so why do it if you don't have to. As far as taking over the old Ford plant, I never suggested that.

Toyota scouts Norfolk from the Roanoke Times

Toyota representatives scouted sites in Hampton Roads last week for a new automotive assembly plant, local officials said Thursday.

The representatives received a helicopter tour of the region in search of a site that is at least 1,500 acres and has access to a rail line, one of the officials said. An 1,8 60-acre parcel in Isle of Wight County owned by Norfolk Southern Corp. and zoned for industrial use would meet those needs.

Neither of the officials wanted to be identified but have knowledge of Toyota

If Toyota is looking to do business, good for them. But if they are looking for corporate welfare like many other automarkers, they need to go another state.

Would it really be that bad to provide some incentive for toyota to come, knowing full well we're gonna take a hit from ford leaving? Incentives are a normal part of attracting business. No, we should not always offer incentives but I do believe there is a time and a place where such things are appropriate.

Would it really be that bad to provide some incentive for toyota to come, knowing full well we're gonna take a hit from ford leaving? Incentives are a normal part of attracting business. No, we should not always offer incentives but I do believe there is a time and a place where such things are appropriate.

It depends on how big. I think that the state lost out on Dell because they didn't give the incentives. This is a really touchy subject. The state would have to draw up a contract to protect itself if the company up and left.

State experts say they have strategy for keeping Ford

I wonder what makes them think that they can keep ford here. The lady said that there is nothing that they could do and none of the previous decisions have been overturned.

I wouldn't mind seeing Toyota in Isle of Wight country while the former Ford plant is redeveloped by the city of Norfolk! I really feel bad for the current employees and hope many of them can gain employment with Toyota; unfortunately, this is the way many large companies do business these days. The city of Norfolk would gain hundreds of acres of waterfront property to develop and I am sure that the city can recoup some tax revenue from the developments that are sure to happen!

State experts say they have strategy for keeping Ford

I wonder what makes them think that they can keep ford here. The lady said that there is nothing that they could do and none of the previous decisions have been overturned.

Should read: "State politicians don't want to appear as if they did nothing to try to reverse Ford decision"

I hope they will focus on attracting Toyota.

Archived