Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

downtown cliff

LA vs. Nashville

13 posts in this topic

Funny thing is, she refers to "Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, and Santa Monica Promenade". NONE of which are actually downtown LA. They are all dis-connected neighborhoods like Green Hills and West End. What an idiot. She has the right idea, but lays out a statement, then backs it up with garbage. The two economies are not even in the same league with eachother and the comparison is moot. If she likes it so much, then move out there. But I warn you lady, LA is the anti-urban mega city.

Fact is, Downtown LA is known, and has been for some time now, to roll up the sidewalks after 7-8pm on the weekdays and not even bother with rolling them back out for the weekends.

She is rambling, and while I agree that we do need more of all the things she has mentioned I do not think she is comparing true d'town LA but the 'burbs of LA to Nashville's d'town. Apples and Oranges.

Well, she obviously has never been to Walgreens on 5th Avenue. She has never been to Sam's clothing, or the Downtown Market and Deli. I could go on and on.

My biggest problem with The Tennessean, The City Paper, and others is that people who have no business writing letters get published.

Gone are the days when true Opinion Page editors existed. Back in "the day" every letter had a response from the editor assuring that the idiots would not write in.

I miss those days!

yeah, she's not making the downtown la-downtown nashville connection, she's saying more beverly hills-green hills. I have no problem finding free parking in green hills, or brentwood, or cool springs!

But parking downtown is outrageous. Even West End has $$$ parking

This woman is totally missing the point! The idea of a "city" is to create an assortment of neighborhoods that a person can easily traverse in a easy fashion(i.e.....on foot) The key thing to notice in her letter is that she DROVE from place to place. She mentioned more about parking prices than the value of experience. She is only concerned with the status of a city and not its livable environment. I'm sorry if my next comment offends anyone, but i feel that Los Angeles is humanities vomit stain on the Earth. The idea on the east coast is to improve the living environment, without having to divide our classes with miles of highway and to avoid the rape of mother nature. IMO L.A. is the perfect example for Nashville of what NOT to do. I just hope we are not already on our way there.

The lady's just ditzy. Although the two towns are really impossible to compare, I'd say that downtown Nashville is nicer in many respects--downtown L.A. has whole areas given over to the homeless, and I shudder to think what parking there costs, if that's her big hangup.

Of course, L.A. has a nice subway, though she probably doesn't even know about it. :P

I think many letters to the editor are published in order to 57335240.jpg , frequently between pro-city and suburbanites.

The lady's just ditzy. Although the two towns are really impossible to compare, I'd say that downtown Nashville is nicer in many respects--downtown L.A. has whole areas given over to the homeless, and I shudder to think what parking there costs, if that's her big hangup.

Of course, L.A. has a nice subway, though she probably doesn't even know about it. :P

I think many letters to the editor are published in order to 57335240.jpg , frequently between pro-city and suburbanites.

Kudos for the nice use of the rarely seen "stirring the pot" smiley.

To be honest facts is facts. Nashville is # 1 for corporate relocation, And did Nissan move from L.A. to the Nashville/Franklin area. It seems to me Nashville is doing something right. This is a city taking on another level of development and this is not a major city like CHICAGO, ATLANTA, NEW YORK, ETC. Thats who she should be comparing L.A. to. Downtown will come into it's on when all tha proposed residental towers are complete.

That lady had a Franklin zip code so her opinions about Nashville are moot.

That lady had a Franklin zip code so her opinions about Nashville are moot.

Well there ya go. Nuff said. LOL!!! Typical suburbanite.