unusual photo

beerbeer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And why aren't we one metro again? I know the answers, but c'mon that's pretty rediculous.

agreed .... jesus christ how far away are dallas and ft worth? i'm not sure of any cultural connection hartford has with springfield, but new haven should absolutely be in the same metro.

agreed .... jesus christ how far away are dallas and ft worth? i'm not sure of any cultural connection hartford has with springfield, but new haven should absolutely be in the same metro.

Hartford and Springfield actually have a shared cultural heritage as well. They are closer than Hartford and New Haven and in my opinion have even more in common with one another.

Springfield, Mass is in the foreground and and Hartford is in the background. It isn't the crispest shot I've ever seen but you can see almost 80 miles to the hills in Middlefield.

018.jpg

Interesting shot of both cities.

Dallas and Ft. Worth are about 30 miles apart, downtown to downtown. I'm not even from your area, but looking at this photo it would seem as if both cities should make up one metro?

Awesome photo!! :thumbsup:

Dallas and Ft. Worth are about 30 miles apart, downtown to downtown. I'm not even from your area, but looking at this photo it would seem as if both cities should make up one metro?

Well we definately DO NOT make up one metro according to the Census. I am in total agreement that we should though.

Anyone know the official distance between downtown Hartford and downtown Springfield?

According to Mapquest.com, it is 26.68 miles from the CT State Capitol building to City Hall in Springfield.

A better representation would probably be from the Old State House in DT Hartford to City Hall in Springfield, which would shave off a 1/2 mile or so.

26 miles seems about right.

i think the issue is that there's not much other than the airport between hartford and springfield. it's all farmland for the most part. most of hartford metro's population is on either side and below, not to the north where it's more sparsely populated.

but bradley is considered hartford/springfield as far as airports are concerned (bradley is just about halfway between them, right?).

hartford and springfield should be included together before new haven and hartford. i think new haven has a bit more of its own identity than springfield does (is there anything even in springfield other than the basketball hall of fame?). and new haven and hartford are about 40 miles apart.

dallas and fort worth have a lot more sprawl between them than some of the cities here (although there is a lot of sprawl between hartford and new haven).

great pic though, where was it taken from?

I've been singing that song for years....

i think the issue is that there's not much other than the airport between hartford and springfield. it's all farmland for the most part. most of hartford metro's population is on either side and below, not to the north where it's more sparsely populated.

but bradley is considered hartford/springfield as far as airports are concerned (bradley is just about halfway between them, right?).

I actually agree with you. Even though I'm a Hartford homer, I think if the commuting patterns don't add up to the numbers set by the censu bureau (be it 15% or 20%), then we don't really deserve to have Springfield included in our metro. And quite frankly, I like Hartford as a metro of 1.3 million. If we include Springfield all of a sudden our metro pop. jumps to 1.9 million and people are no longer saying "one of the best skylines for a metro between 1-1.5 million", etc...

What's more important to me is to establish a real life connection with western Mass (commuter rail especially) so that northrn CT and Western MA can coexist as partners essentially operating as the same metro, whether or not we are designated as such.

I know many of my Hartford brethren disagree with me on these points, but think about it guys - if we become a metro of 1.9 million all of a sudden there's nothing that special about Hartford in terms of bragging rights. Right now we can say we have one of the best skylines for our size, one of the largest amounts of office space in the CBD for a metro our size, and a bunch of other things. If we become a metro of almost 2 million, we are demoted to "average", and in some cases, below average. Just my take.

Btw jim, Bradley is 11 miles from DT Hartford and 15 miles from DT Springfield.

....also:

Smith & Wesson Firearms

Friendly's Ice Cream

Dr. Suess

Milton Bradley Toys

and Mass Mutual Insurance which about 15 years ago gobbled up Hartford giant Connecticut Mutual on Asylum Hill. By this summer all former CT Mutual jobs will have moved out of Hartford.

And if Amherst and Northampton are included in the Springfield metro area, it gains in cultural, political and academic significance. I don't know how to find out, though, if they are included.

I don't know for sure, but I think they are included. I think the Springfield metro is Hampden and Hampshire County pretty much.

And if Amherst and Northampton are included in the Springfield metro area, it gains in cultural, political and academic significance. I don't know how to find out, though, if they are included.

i don't think you could really pull amherst into the hartford metro... that's a bit of a stretch.

EDIT: i looked up distances... amherst is about 51 miles from hartford. new haven is under 50. if new haven is a stretch, i'd definitely say amherst is. usually the metro includes people commuting to/from the city and not really much more than that. maybe if there was a railway between hartford and amherst, but until then, it's purely springfield metro. northampton is borderline, but holyoke could definitely make the cut.

i don't think you could really pull amherst into the hartford metro... that's a bit of a stretch.

EDIT: i looked up distances... amherst is about 51 miles from hartford. new haven is under 50. if new haven is a stretch, i'd definitely say amherst is. usually the metro includes people commuting to/from the city and not really much more than that. maybe if there was a railway between hartford and amherst, but until then, it's purely springfield metro. northampton is borderline, but holyoke could definitely make the cut.

I think we were referring to the Springfield Metro only. It was a response to someone's rhetorical question of "what is in Springfield anyway?"

I think we were referring to the Springfield Metro only. It was a response to someone's rhetorical question of "what is in Springfield anyway?"

i thought you were talking about combining both the hartford and springfield metro areas into one centered around hartford.

i thought you were talking about combining both the hartford and springfield metro areas into one centered around hartford.

Question: take Raliegh-Durham for example. Is one city there considered the seat of the metro area? Or are they kind of like co-seats? Same question for Hampton Roads, VA? What is the seat of the metro? I ask because it seems to me like these places get to be counted as larger metro areas without one City being the true seat of the region. If this same criteria were to be applied to Hartford New Haven Springfield we would indeed be huge at about 2.6 Million.

Archived