Charter Square (Site One)

avery

The city sold the Charter Square development group its 1.75-acre site in November 2008, and the group has five years from the sale date to build two towers valued at $100 million.

If the group doesn't complete the project within five years, the city must buy back the property. Thanks to a state law passed in 2009, the city can extend the deadline two years until 2015 if necessary.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/01/1451509/red-hats-move-downtown-could-ripple.html#storylink=cpy

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

hmmm.... the Charter Square website seems to have added two more tabs since the last time I looked at it (which I think was beginning of March because I was hoping Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions would relocate the 200,000 SF space there that they were looking for)

http://www.chartersquare.com/residential.html

New tabs are:

"Area amenities" (restaurants hastily located on an area map)

and "Area Residential" (with a map showing the location of some residential options around downtown) - watch out though - there are 2 number 11s in the legend and it throws of the map.

Anyway, looks like the website is geared more toward to sole office/retail uses.  Maybe they are splitting the project up and moving forward with the North office tower and holding off on the South condo tower.

If the building is only going to be 11-stories, then that is not a "big announcement" in my opinion.  That is a big disappointment.

Any more updates? 

Hopefully they are referencing 11-floors of office space and maybe there is another component (residential?  hotel?) that makes it taller (especially since they mention that the building "will have a major impact on downtown's skyline")

Ok - I overreacted.  I like it!  Especially since this is the smaller of the two towers.  Also, the gogoraleigh blog mentions that 35k sf is committed.  Once the crane starts coming out of the ground, I imagine others will jump on board.  (And hopefully drive the construction of the larger North tower)

Great news for downtown!

It is great to finally see some sort of light at the end of this 8 year-old tunnel (that's how long it has been since the new convention center project got started).  While I will miss the residential component of the southern tower, the opportunity for residential in the immediate area and even tower two of CS are significant.  We will come to appreciate the impact of this project and what may stir up.

In addition to today's Charter Square announcement, it was announced via the TBJ that New York technology firm, Ipreo, will bring 250 jobs to Wake county.  Interestingly enough, Governor McCrory's quote entices us to believe that these jobs are coming to downtown Raleigh.  I can think of no better place than Charter Square for this company to locate itself.  

Quote from TBJ:

"Gov. Pat McCrory, who made the announcement Thursday with Commerce Secretary Sharon Decker, called Ipreo “just the kind of company” North Carolina wants to attract.

“The new IT and financial jobs will strengthen the downtown Raleigh corporate mix and be an example to others of the strong talent pool and attractive quality of life that characterizes Raleigh, Wake County and the state,” he said in a statement."

Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2013/04/11/new-york-firm-to-bring-250-jobs-in.html

Edited by CityOfOaksNative

I personally don't think this area has any residential potential. Sterile disneyland. Which is fine for visitors, but not for people who have dogs to walk and kids to entertain. This area has been branded as, and continues to develop as our office hub and visitor stop ground zero....and all cities need this.  So it's fine just as it is. I think. The spaces remaining for "big" projects would be sites mostly along Salisbury such as the Berkley block and a tear down of the existing Marriott parking deck. 

• 2 months later...

The project has gotten approval from the Planning Commission.  Waiting for last approval from City Council on July 16 -- they have to accept the variance to leave right-of-way setbacks as is, rather than requiring for additional setbacks per the City's Streets, Sidewalks and Driveway Handbook.  I don't see Wilmington Street or Lenoir ever needing to be widened so I don't think it should be an issue.

One thing about the rendering:  I kinda wish the building outline at the ground level continued all the way to the top (so that the notched area at the NW corner provided some sort of contrast to the square shape).

Charter_Square_%20Marriot_Rendering_Glas

An OK project, and it would be nice to see something new getting built on that end of downtown. I still think the roofline is a bit "off". The swooshyness seems contrived. I also don't really care that much. You can still build great cities with very mediocre architecture.

I feel the same way.  The building is fine.  Nothing spectacular - but not horrible either.  At this point, I just want it to get built.

Maybe once its done, the City will update the official header logo of their website to an accurate skyline rather than some hypothetical made up one?  I mean, really, the skyline is so bad that you have to put two fake buildings on the official website???

logo.png

I feel the same way.  The building is fine.  Nothing spectacular - but not horrible either.  At this point, I just want it to get built.

Maybe once its done, the City will update the official header logo of their website to an accurate skyline rather than some hypothetical made up one?  I mean, really, the skyline is so bad that you have to put two fake buildings on the official website???

The irony is that the real skyline has the new Wake County Justice Center in it, which is completely missing from the banner. The Clarion and Quorum are also missing. They do need to replace that banner. Frankly I think the 'money shot' is actually the worst angle. The best angle would be the view from Chavis Park--where Raleigh looks very impressive--similar to Providence or Richmond, but with better architecture. That view will only get better since the Skyhouse and Charter Square buildings will be prominent in it once they're built, and the new Red Hat sign on Progress II will also stand out.

aKCA6Ql.jpg

I don't think Raleigh's skyline is bad. People that say it's bad for its size tend to compare it to cities that are actually larger. In terms of MSA population, Raleigh's downtown seems to be about the size one would expect it to be. It merely isn't an overachiever like Charlotte.

• Like 2

Yea, I didn't mean that I thought the skyline was bad, just was remarking about what it says about Raleigh using a fake skyline as their official image - makes it seem like they are ashamed of the actual skyline.

And the Chavis view is definitely the best view - and the three new buildings (Edison office as well) will be very prominent from this angle!!  (I wonder if SECU would be visible with a slightly wider angle?)

Frankly I think the 'money shot' is actually the worst angle. The best angle would be the view from Chavis Park...

I don't think Raleigh's skyline is bad. People that say it's bad for its size tend to compare it to cities that are actually larger. In terms of MSA population, Raleigh's downtown seems to be about the size one would expect it to be. It merely isn't an overachiever like Charlotte.

That pic you posted, Spatula is one of the best skyline views I've seen of Raleigh.   It gives a better density view!

• 2 weeks later...