Charter Square (Site One)

avery

There is an item in the council agenda this week (Sep 17 2013) and it is UGLY.

Link

For whatever reason, it looks like the city is going to have to buy back Charter Square. It is possible that the city is moving forward with this in case the most recent development fails, but I see no such mention in the agenda item, so I guess this means the most recent reincarnation has failed.

That the development isn't moving forward doesn't break my heart, but now the city has to dig up $20 million to give to the developer who bought the land and the sat on it for so long. So instead of a gleaming new tower, we have a gaping hole in the budget, that will be filled by taking: (for example)

$3.2 million from street repaving and resurfacing

$1.3 million from Peace Street streetscaping

$1 million from emergency facilities maintenance

$250k from improvements to a Northeast fire station

The list goes on and on. This really makes it seem like the city gambled big with the convention center and associated redevelopments, and lost.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It really does look like a taller version of the MWV building in Richmond.  Good eye.

Also, Red Hat is just completely cut out of the "money shot" now.  You'd never know it was there.

The design is quite similar to the MeadWestvaco headquarters in downtown Richmond.  Different architects though, at least from what I can tell.   

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

JDavis Architects have a new rendering with the building added to the skyline...

charter-square3.jpg

That rendering looks really sharp. Hopefully the ball will get rolling on this soon. Unfortunately, that picture appears to have been taken off the JDavis website. Hopefully that is not a bad sign...

How long should construction on this building take? If anyone know the answer?

They are shooting for 13 months.  There will inevitably be delays, but at least that's the starting point.  However, the developer has agreements with some of the tenants that the developer will pay the companies' current leases for each month that the project is not completed.  That's some incentive to hustle!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/2014/03/downtown-raleigh-high-rise-building-all-set-to.html

Excellent news. Also confirms planned to open within 13 months.

I have a question for anyone in the know, however: The article states it will be built over an existing parking deck, although the rendering doesn't appear to reflect this. Can we expect that the height on this may be greater than the impression given in the rendering? That rendering is quite old from what I understand. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the render, but that would be a nice little added bonus