Charter Square (Site One)

avery

I saw this story last night on the 6:00 news and knew that it would be the talk today on the forum. Very cool looking project. It's design looks great, especially the 20 story tower. I think it is exactly the start that Fayetteville Street needs. I can't believe how many projects are slated for a 2008 completion date.

8680142_240X180.jpg

As for the movie theater, I'm not sure if it is going to be a huge screen multiplex. Eventhough Raleigh is not as large as Charlotte, I think a theater will work well here.

Edited by avery

I agree, the 20 story component of this project is very impressive. I'm glad it looks different than other things downtown. I think the movie theater will be a 4-screen complex at most. Even so, I think some people will come downtown to use it and eat dinner at other places. Maybe the crowd at this theater will be a little more mature - there is nothing worse than going to Crossroads, North Hills, or Raleigh Grande on a Friday or Saturday night to watch a movie with the high schoolers swarming everywhere.

Now, take this picture and imagine these two Site 1 buildings, the RBC Tower, and the Lafayette -- wow, in 2008 this city is going to be completely different. Very exciting!!

By the way, this image comes from one of the Livable Streets newsletters.

post-796-1145016436_thumb.jpg

Now, take this picture and imagine these two Site 1 buildings, the RBC Tower, and the Lafayette -- wow, in 2008 this city is going to be completely different. Very exciting!!

By the way, this image comes from one of the Livable Streets newsletters.

Sorry man, that pic of the Marriott still bothers me. It is the first time I looked at it in a while. Hopefully the Lafayette will hide it a little bit.

Where exactly is Site 1 on this picture? Is it next to red-bricked Bank of America building in this picture?

A small art house theater would be nice. Maybe the Galaxy could move to that location.

They ought to do the movie theater like they did when I was a kid. Have only 2 screens in the theater and rotate out movies on each of the screens. Theaters today dedicate an auditorium per movie with 8 showings per day. There are many times I've gone to a movie that may have been out for 2-3 weeks and the theater was only 20% full. A small theater that had 4 movies rotated out at more limited times would probably work downtown and fill it up. They should sell beer and wine too. ;)

Edited by avery

The video mentions 30 (!) of the >$1M condos. Hopefully, this project doesn't hinge on these. I feel like these condo developments have to be approaching the saturation point for this price range.

I thought the same thing last night. There must be quite a few wealthy individuals here in Raleigh or else we are trying to lure more of them here and the companies that pay them.

Oh, those are nice renderings. May be the nicest project Raleigh has seen in a while. And although they don't look to drastically different than the original plans the extra treatments on the roof really set this project, especially the 20 story tower apart.

I certainly they end up having the movie theater, gym. And I believe there was talk of a main Raleigh library finally after decades of not having one. ;)

"Don't be afraid to Dream; And while your at it, Dream big" Tay.

the question is if there is enough support for the 1 million dollar condos. i just dont think, that with all of the high-end condos being planned or built, the market can sustain these condos. we need more affordable housing that is just as attractive as the more expensive.

the question is if there is enough support for the 1 million dollar condos. i just dont think, that with all of the high-end condos being planned or built, the market can sustain these condos. we need more affordable housing that is just as attractive as the more expensive.

At least only 30 of the 160 units planned are to be it $1 mill price range. That still leaves 130 units that may be more affordable. Housing costs in general have soared over the past few years in the Triangle. Also, given the costs to build this large projects ($100 million for this one), I guess they are going to have some pricey units to recoup their costs. The only way to make them more affordable is to probably make each unit much smaller. They question may also be how large of a market exists for people that truley want a unit less than 1000 sq. feet.

I'm beginning to think we are underestimating the amount of wealthy individuals in the Triangle. Each time one of these things is proposed, we all say "can the market sustain these?" and then they sell out...

Are you surprised that we do not see more high-end retail here in the Triangle if there are so many wealthy individuals? I guess we do have a Rolls-Royce dealership now...

I'm beginning to think we are underestimating the amount of wealthy individuals in the Triangle. Each time one of these things is proposed, we all say "can the market sustain these?" and then they sell out...

Is that true? I thought the Dawson was dividing up some pricing units that couldn't sell, because they could sell the smaller/cheaper ones much easier.

Of course, you are right in that these developers aren't idiots, and wouldn't build something that wouldn't sell.

Is that true? I thought the Dawson was dividing up some pricing units that couldn't sell, because they could sell the smaller/cheaper ones much easier.

Of course, you are right in that these developers aren't idiots, and wouldn't build something that wouldn't sell.

I've heard that the real problem with the Dawson's sales was the layout of the floorplan. There were some really illogical decisions made, apparently, and the division of these units only makes the problems worse (but that's only what I've heard. I haven't been in there).

One thing that this project offers that the Dawson doesn't really have is an excellent view. Much like the scrapping of Kidds Hill presumably due to the Soleil Center's high offerings, I wonder if this jeopardizes (for the time being) York Properties' proposal to do something where Bradshaw Realty is?...or are these two totally different markets?

Much like the scrapping of Kidds Hill presumably due to the Soleil Center's high offerings, I wonder if this jeopardizes (for the time being) York Properties' proposal to do something where Bradshaw Realty is?...or are these two totally different markets?

Where is Bradshaw Realty?

Edited by avery

That is a really good question. I think the "Bradshaw" Site would be good for some really upscale apartments moreso than Condos. Apartments that have a swimming pool, cinema lounge, mini library that rent for like 900-1400 a month. There are some in Charlotte that looked really nice when I visited earlier this year. Maybe a building 8 stories high. Similar to the Oberlin Project Apartments.

I think there is definetly a market for those wanting to live downtown, yet not necessarily able to pay for a way pricey condo.

I've heard that the real problem with the Dawson's sales was the layout of the floorplan. There were some really illogical decisions made, apparently, and the division of these units only makes the problems worse (but that's only what I've heard. I haven't been in there).

One thing that this project offers that the Dawson doesn't really have is an excellent view. Much like the scrapping of Kidds Hill presumably due to the Soleil Center's high offerings, I wonder if this jeopardizes (for the time being) York Properties' proposal to do something where Bradshaw Realty is?...or are these two totally different markets?

A friend of mine is renting over at the Dawson and we've hung out at his place a lot. It's a 2 bedroom condo with a view of The Saucer and The Clarion/Second Empire. It's not a BAD view but it's not quite the Downtown Skyline.

The layout is just weird. It's 2bdr 2bath but the 2nd bedroom is entirely enclosed - no window views. It's kind of like a tomb in the 2nd bedroom.

High ceilings, nice hardwoods, balcony... but again, the balcony is off of the master... so if you want to hang out with friends you have to go through the master. Personally I think it makes more sense to have balconies in communal areas if you have friends over and what not.

Edited by CliffyB

Sweeeet! I really like the look of the 20 story building. Looks different than any other building here in Raleigh, not the same old boxy building. Its a great entrance to fayetteville street as well with all of that retail.

Yes it is a sweet looking tower...Now picture the new Marriott next door. :sick: