Charter Square (Site One)

avery

I imagine getting the nderground parking structures built is a factor too in when site 1 gets started?

Supposedly, the city's underground garage (under const now) will meet with a new Site 1 garage beneath their bldg, so the city is only building the western ~2/3 of the block (hotel "basement" structure + under future F St) for it's deck with Site 1's underground parking deck (eastern 1/3 of block) portion to come later.

So are the plans for this one to continue with the Site 1 building seemlessly as the garage is completed, or, is there to be lag time between the end of the garage and the building itself. Didn't know if it was going to be built as one compenent, i.e. Marriott or two sepearte entities.

The Site One garage will connect to the city/hotel garage seamlessly once Site 1 is built, but yes there will be some lag time between completion of the city deck and the Site 1 deck. Right now, Site 1 is being used as a staging area for the hotel/RCC. Technically, I believe there are three projects with distinct contracts: RCC, hotel, garage... with Site 1 coming later... but they'll eventually fit together such that the parking and street level experience will be seamless.

• 2 weeks later...

From the city's website today:

Last Sept. 19, the City Council voted unanimously to approve an agreement with TMC Development Group LLC to develop a 661,000-square-foot mixed-use project on a 1.8-acre parcel just east of the old convention center site. TMC Development is purchasing the land from the City for approximately $5.2 million.

TMC Development is planning an approximately $130 million mixed-use office, retail and residential complex that will consist of a 20-story tower and a 14-story tower. The towers will have 154 condominiums, 284,000 square feet of office space, 50,000 square feet of restaurant space, ground-floor retail fronting Fayetteville and Wilmington streets and possibly a movie theater. There also will be an underground parking deck with 636 public spaces. TMC

• 1 month later...

A couple of tidbits...

If you're wondering why this project has been taking so long... Site 1 is being used as a staging area (storage of construction materials and equipment) for the convention center construction, but once the heavy construction is finished on the RCC (when they move to the interior), Site 1 can go forward. There are also some negotiations of legal issues with respect to the neighboring deck and easements, etc. Groundbreaking is expected within 12 months.

There are rumors that WRAL is planning on moving to the ground floor of this space near the City Plaza area.

There are rumors that WRAL is planning on moving to the ground floor of this space near the City Plaza area.

I'm guessing you mean Capital Broadcasting, WRAL's parent company, and currently in a nondescript office building at the corner of Hillsborough and St. Marys (across St. Mary's from the SECU). I can't imagine they would abandon their studio complex out on Western Blvd...

I'm guessing you mean Capital Broadcasting, WRAL's parent company, and currently in a nondescript office building at the corner of Hillsborough and St. Marys (across St. Mary's from the SECU). I can't imagine they would abandon their studio complex out on Western Blvd...

I thought CBC was in American Tobacco.....I really have no idea how the various operations are split up.....I do believe I read that the WRAL division was considering a move to Site One though.

I'm sure you're correct about the main studios on Western Blvd. CBC's bldg on Hillsborough and St Mary's St is apparently up for sale or lease (sign out front), so you may be right that this would be a CBC office move as well. Carynative is on the right track with what I've heard... the rumor is a satellite studio right on the street, a la WTVD in the Hudson.... perhaps right under Rocky in this pic:

city_plaza_night_xl.jpg

I thought CBC was in American Tobacco.....I really have no idea how the various operations are split up.....I do believe I read that the WRAL division was considering a move to Site One though.

Ok, here is the current lineup...WRAL-TV 5 is on Western. Fox 50, the other station CBC owns in the Triangle, is at American Tobacco. CBC's offices are at St. Mary's and Hillsborough. I think they also have some connection with Univision-40, but not sure. CBC corporate is probrably the rumor about going into Site 1...

Ok, here is the current lineup...WRAL-TV 5 is on Western. Fox 50, the other station CBC owns in the Triangle, is at American Tobacco. CBC's offices are at St. Mary's and Hillsborough. I think they also have some connection with Univision-40, but not sure. CBC corporate is probrably the rumor about going into Site 1...

The radio station, 101.5 is located at St. Mary's and Hillsborough too.

Isn't their country music station, 99.9 out of the Hillsborough Street location as well? And their North Carolina News Network for radio stations across the state?

Mix 101.5 sponsored Alive After 5 for years, so I could see them wanting to return to that space. WRAL-TV could have a second floor "newsroom". It could be space like ABC/ESPN, MTV, etc. have above Times Square. That would give them a City Square backdrop *and* free up street level space for retail, etc.

• 1 month later...

Nice find, ncsugrad204.

Both the old design and the new design are fine with me. They both seem to do a great job with the street level space, the scale is the same for both, and while I wish they would use a color other than beige and tan here and there, the architecture is attractive.

Regardless of design, this just needs to get built.