My trip to Shreveport/Bossier City

bigboyz05

I came down there to visit friends and do a little gambling. Anyway, I saw so much construction it made my head spin! On U.S. 79/80 I saw that Haughton has grown so much that I couldn't tell where Haughton started and Bossier City began. It has changed so much since I was last over in that direction. Oh and SBC I saw Oak Alley behind those office buildings. It looks like a nice development. Shreveport is just on fire! Especially the southern parts of the city.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The southern parts of Shreveport will really explode when I-69 comes on board.

No doubt, and I hope the completion of I-49 through north Shreveport and north Caddo Parish will end the development drought in north Shreveport. But first, the city must get a handle on the crime in that area. If not for the crime, that area could be as propserous as the other parts of the metro. At one time, north Shreveport was one of the fastest-growing areas of the city, as the city began to spread away from downtown.

I came down there to visit friends and do a little gambling. Anyway, I saw so much construction it made my head spin! On U.S. 79/80 I saw that Haughton has grown so much that I couldn't tell where Haughton started and Bossier City began. It has changed so much since I was last over in that direction. Oh and SBC I saw Oak Alley behind those office buildings. It looks like a nice development. Shreveport is just on fire! Especially the southern parts of the city.

Hey, if you came to the Haughton area, you were close to my house! Too bad I didn't know you were coming, man, I'd like to have met you. Maybe next time!

Thanks for posting about your experience... it seems to have been a positive one. I know it's been a while since you've lived here, and I only wish that everyone who used to live here would come back for a visit. Seeing is believing, and Shreveport-Bossier has a lot to see these days.

It sounds like you really got to do a lot of driving around the area... north Bossier... Haughton... and the southern suburbs. Did you, by chance, take I-49 down to the new Southern Loop exit and check out Provenance and all the projects going around Norris Ferry and Wallace Lake? If not, I recommend that for another visit! I'll soon be posting pictures of some of those projects, and hopefully I'll be taking even more photos in that area. There are still so many hotspots I haven't had an opportunity to photograph.

The thing about not being able to tell where Bossier stops and Haughton begins is actually also the way it is with Benton. When you drive from Bossier City to Benton, you wouldn't even know you were crossing from one city to the other if it weren't for the signs. It's just like driving from Shreveport to Greenwood or Shreveport to Blanchard or Mooringsport... it all just runs together now.

By the way, you mentioned seeing Oak Alley... are you saying you saw it in person, or in my pics? If you saw it in person, then you saw the huge piece of land across Airline Drive from it. That's where Bossier's newest large shopping area is set to begin construction very soon.

Anyway, thanks again for posting your experience. I really enjoy hearing positive feedback from people after they visit. It makes me realize the area is making huge strides in the right direction. :)

Hey, if you came to the Haughton area, you were close to my house! Too bad I didn't know you were coming, man, I'd like to have met you. Maybe next time!

Thanks for posting about your experience... it seems to have been a positive one. I know it's been a while since you've lived here, and I only wish that everyone who used to live here would come back for a visit. Seeing is believing, and Shreveport-Bossier has a lot to see these days.

It sounds like you really got to do a lot of driving around the area... north Bossier... Haughton... and the southern suburbs. Did you, by chance, take I-49 down to the new Southern Loop exit and check out Provenance and all the projects going around Norris Ferry and Wallace Lake? If not, I recommend that for another visit! I'll soon be posting pictures of some of those projects, and hopefully I'll be taking even more photos in that area. There are still so many hotspots I haven't had an opportunity to photograph.

The thing about not being able to tell where Bossier stops and Haughton begins is actually also the way it is with Benton. When you drive from Bossier City to Benton, you wouldn't even know you were crossing from one city to the other if it weren't for the signs. It's just like driving from Shreveport to Greenwood or Shreveport to Blanchard or Mooringsport... it all just runs together now.

By the way, you mentioned seeing Oak Alley... are you saying you saw it in person, or in my pics? If you saw it in person, then you saw the huge piece of land across Airline Drive from it. That's where Bossier's newest large shopping area is set to begin construction very soon.

Anyway, thanks again for posting your experience. I really enjoy hearing positive feedback from people after they visit. It makes me realize the area is making huge strides in the right direction. :)

Hey SBC! Man that sucks! I didn't know I was that close to your home. It would've been cool to meet you too. You can call me Darius if you want. What's your name? Yeah, I saw Oak Alley. Do you think that one day Shreveport and Bossier City will end up growing around towns like Haughton, Benton and Greenwood? I will most definitely check out the area around the Southern Loop exit when I come down there next time. I noticed that there was a lot of construction on Hwy. 71. Traffic was backed up for a while. I can't wait for the day when I can drive the whole way to Shreveport on I-49.

Just like I can't wait for the day when I can drive all the way from Shreveport to Foreman,AR and beyond on I-49. :D

Agreed! Although it makes for a beautiful and scenic drive, Hwy 71 through the mountains of Arkansas can be hell for those who aren't used to it!

Hey SBC! Man that sucks! I didn't know I was that close to your home. It would've been cool to meet you too. You can call me Darius if you want. What's your name? Yeah, I saw Oak Alley. Do you think that one day Shreveport and Bossier City will end up growing around towns like Haughton, Benton and Greenwood? I will most definitely check out the area around the Southern Loop exit when I come down there next time. I noticed that there was a lot of construction on Hwy. 71. Traffic was backed up for a while. I can't wait for the day when I can drive the whole way to Shreveport on I-49.

Yes sir, I live right there in Haughton. I'm not sure how far you went into Haughton, but I actually live just a few miles east of the Bossier/Haughton line. The highly suburban area that's considered Haughton is actually very large, stretching from the eastern Bossier City limits, all the way to Hwy 157 and then down around the southern side of Barksdale Air Force Base, touching Bossier City again at its southeastern city limits. The actual town limits of Haughton, however, are much smaller and I actually live barely within the town.

And it's good to officially be acquainted after posting back and forth with you for quite some time now, Darius... and my name is Brian. I actually introduced myself in a thread called 'Names?' on the main Louisiana board, but that was back when you were on your Oklahoma trip so I think you missed it.

Actually, the city limits of Shreveport and Bossier City are already beginning to wrap around those areas. It'll be a while before Bossier wraps around Haughton or Benton, but it does appear to be trying to envelope Haughton. Right now it almost touches Benton, but someday it will probably try to grow around that area as well. I see that happening after Swan Lake Road is widened and extended to Benton as a north-south thoroughfare, which should actually happen fairly soon. Shreveport, on the other hand, has already grown around many towns throughout its history. The area of Cedar Grove was once a separate suburb, as was the Highland area. Recently the city enveloped the area called Forbing, and is growing toward DeSoto Parish. The Shreveport city limits may even extend into DeSoto Parish within the next 10 years if it continue to expand south. In west Shreveport, the city limits touch the town of Greenwood, and in some areas, have started to wrap around the town. I do see it enveloping Greenwood over the next few years, and within the next 20 years possibly extending all the way to the Louisiana/Texas line. For some time now I have envisioned a western suburb called West Shreveport, TX. That would officially extend this metro area into the state of Texas. I actually hope I live to see the day that happens. Then, the town of Waskom would be a western suburb as well, rather than just some rural Texas town some 15 miles away.

Yes sir, I live right there in Haughton. I'm not sure how far you went into Haughton, but I actually live just a few miles east of the Bossier/Haughton line. The highly suburban area that's considered Haughton is actually very large, stretching from the eastern Bossier City limits, all the way to Hwy 157 and then down around the southern side of Barksdale Air Force Base, touching Bossier City again at its southeastern city limits. The actual town limits of Haughton, however, are much smaller and I actually live barely within the town.

And it's good to officially be acquainted after posting back and forth with you for quite some time now, Darius... and my name is Brian. I actually introduced myself in a thread called 'Names?' on the main Louisiana board, but that was back when you were on your Oklahoma trip so I think you missed it.

Actually, the city limits of Shreveport and Bossier City are already beginning to wrap around those areas. It'll be a while before Bossier wraps around Haughton or Benton, but it does appear to be trying to envelope Haughton. Right now it almost touches Benton, but someday it will probably try to grow around that area as well. I see that happening after Swan Lake Road is widened and extended to Benton as a north-south thoroughfare, which should actually happen fairly soon. Shreveport, on the other hand, has already grown around many towns throughout its history. The area of Cedar Grove was once a separate suburb, as was the Highland area. Recently the city enveloped the area called Forbing, and is growing toward DeSoto Parish. The Shreveport city limits may even extend into DeSoto Parish within the next 10 years if it continue to expand south. In west Shreveport, the city limits touch the town of Greenwood, and in some areas, have started to wrap around the town. I do see it enveloping Greenwood over the next few years, and within the next 20 years possibly extending all the way to the Louisiana/Texas line. For some time now I have envisioned a western suburb called West Shreveport, TX. That would officially extend this metro area into the state of Texas. I actually hope I live to see the day that happens. Then, the town of Waskom would be a western suburb as well, rather than just some rural Texas town some 15 miles away.

The parishes of Caddo, Bossier, Webster and DeSoto make up the Shreveport/Bossier metro area right? Also, is DeSoto Parish named after the explorer Hernando DeSoto?

Archived