Ludington

andrew.w

I've decided that I should represent my city on this site. To start off with, I have pictures of Ludington's finest historical houses, most of which are located on the section of Ludington Ave. just east of downtown. Many of the larger houses were built by area lumber barons.

First and foremost - the Warren Cartier House, now the Cartier Mansion Bed and Breakfast

128157607_f9cf7197ef.jpg

128157609_a263d003bb.jpg

(I wish I hadn't chopped off the edges of the porch in this picture)

128157608_a322aabcc5.jpg

Since the house had only gone through two families before the current owners bought the home last fall, the house is almost entirely in its original condition. The first floor rooms even have their original rugs.

I don't know anything about the house-turned-law-officesto the west...

128149641_e2d8265d21.jpg

...but east, across the side street is the Antoine Cartier House, built by Warren's father in 1878 and now the Ludington House Bed and Breakfast

128138836_606bb7f4c9.jpg

Next door - the Starke house:

128149643_9f19f12dd5.jpg

This house was abandoned for several years before the current owners bought it about seven years ago and proceded to paint the house teal green. Unfortunately, the house still looks abandoned.

The design of the Starke house is rather awkward due to additions made in the 1910s and left the house with several odd features such as its front door whith is a mix of neoclassical and craftsman:

128149644_5752bba5be.jpg

(and yes, the porch really does sag that much)

My favorite of the Ludington Ave houses:

128155958_c89b9d4f68.jpg

The James Foley House, built in 1896 or 1897 if I remember right:

128143739_fdb4418a1c.jpg

Unfortunately, the Foley house was converted to apartments in the 60s but some original features such as the grand staircase and a giant stained glass window on the side of the house are still intact.

Next door: the Daniel Goodenough house, built in 1888, now also a bed and breakfast

128138839_2ca8e3f0b1.jpg

Peering above the overgrown landscaping in the Foley house yard.

128138838_87522c2fe5.jpg

128138837_96ebfecdf8.jpg

A pink house in the same block as the last two:

128149642_b0bc3fa6d8.jpg

A few moths ago I found a picture of this house as it was originally constructed. I was surprised that the original house looked completely different. Some time in the early 1900s a two story, highly decorated porch and steeply pitched tower roof were removed from and all of the ornamentation was replaced with the exception of the section at the top of the tower.

If I can get access to the picture, I'll post it here.

The Latimer House, built in 1890, now the Inn at Ludington:

128143740_c2e6e7df09.jpg

128149639_a0e682a2f8.jpg

This house was also originally built with a wrap around porch.

A few more notable houses:

128138840_4e98085e5a.jpg

128143737_e70a5f912c.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right city, but not with the same train of thought...

Would you happen to know what retail establishments used to be at the NE corner of Jebavy and US-10, just west of Pere Marquette, right butt up against the airport? It looks like maybe an old Ames or Hills or something, and maybe a grocery store next to it.

Right city, but not with the same train of thought...

Would you happen to know what retail establishments used to be at the NE corner of Jebavy and US-10, just west of Pere Marquette, right butt up against the airport? It looks like maybe an old Ames or Hills or something, and maybe a grocery store next to it.

The large building in that strip of stores was a K-Mart. It's been empty since the newer K-Mart building (recently demolished to make way for a Lowes) was built in the late 70s. Rite-Aid ocupied the white brick portion that is now a China Buffet. Does that answer your question?

Sorry dtown, I don't have any pictures of downtown with me right now, but I'll try to get some next time I'm home.

The large building in that strip of stores was a K-Mart. It's been empty since the newer K-Mart building (recently demolished to make way for a Lowes) was built in the late 70s.

The old Kmart has really been empty for 30 years?!? Actually, if you don't mind, would you please try to get some pics of this old Kmart and its surrounding stores?

• 4 weeks later...

The old Kmart has really been empty for 30 years?!? Actually, if you don't mind, would you please try to get some pics of this old Kmart and its surrounding stores?

The old Kmart plaza by the airport was emptied in 1990 when they constructed the new Kmart, which later a Big K in 1996/97. The *new* Kmart was closed in 2003 and the building was demolished sometime in March or April 2006. The original Kmart was previously another retail chain store, which I believe is currently out of business. Currently the lot in front of the old Kmart plaza is the home of Fun in the Sun RV, and the building itself is apparently in rather poor condition. Getting image of the old Kmart itself would be rather difficult during the spring through summer because view of the building is blocked by a couple dozen RVs.

The large building in that strip of stores was a K-Mart. It's been empty since the newer K-Mart building (recently demolished to make way for a Lowes) was built in the late 70s. Rite-Aid ocupied the white brick portion that is now a China Buffet. Does that answer your question?

I believe Rite-Aid (which was originally a Perry Drug until Rite-Aid bought them out) was in was is now the Save-a-Lot, not the Chinese Buffet, but that moved out to a new building located across from the hospital. Prior to Rite-Aid/Perry that building in the plaza was a Revco Drug store. I don't recall what was originally in the China Buffet (which is apparently moving to a new location, somewhat adjacent to Walmart).

The plaza where the Salvation Army/medical supply store was previously the Save-a-Lot (which is now located across from the old Kmart) in the old Prevos building (located behind the James Street Clinic, which was formerly a Hardees restaurant). The old Save-a-Lot was previously known as Bonsers, which had moved down from its former location -- where Briggs True Value Hardware is now located. Prior to Bonsers move that plaza (where the Salvation Army is) was home to a Giant Way/Giant.

The old Kmart plaza by the airport was emptied in 1990 when they constructed the new Kmart, which later a Big K in 1996/97. The *new* Kmart was closed in 2003 and the building was demolished sometime in March or April 2006. The original Kmart was previously another retail chain store, which I believe is currently out of business.

Thank you for that information. I knew that the Kmart couldn't have possibly been empty as long as I said it had been once I thought about it, but I was going to try to do some asking around before I corrected myself. Although, 16 years is still a long time for a building in a relatively good location to be closed. Sears was interested in dividing the old Kmart in half and using it for one of their appliance stores (that might have been around 2002 or so) but that apparently never made it off the ground.

...and welcome to the forum!

Great pics, and nice houses. I don't know much about Ludington, but always enjoyed going there because it meant we were probably going to go across the Big Lake on one of the Chessie ferries. For me, as a kid, Ludington was a combination of Southampton, LaHavre and New York City.

I was up at Silver Lake for a few days back in April, and we checked out Ludington one day. Nice little downtown, and I really like this one place where these two guys, a father and son actually, sold their portraits of pictures from the area. I actually bought one. I thought the look of the lighthouse at dawn was beautiful.

I was up at Silver Lake for a few days back in April, and we checked out Ludington one day. Nice little downtown, and I really like this one place where these two guys, a father and son actually, sold their portraits of pictures from the area. I actually bought one. I thought the look of the lighthouse at dawn was beautiful.

That would probably be Reed Photography that you are refering to. They do have some great pictures; we have a coffee table book of their work.

Edit: I just did a search and it looks like they have a website:

Todd and Brad Reed Photography

Andrew! I really appreciated your post. I drive past all those buildings every day but I never really pay attention to how pretty some of them really are. It's a shame that the teal house is so run down, no one lives there, do they?

We should go photographing some day soon!

Sasha

• 2 months later...

This is nice to see:

City approves brownfield, development plan for new grocery store downtown

(note: article can only be viewed for a week for nonsubscribers)

216291145_16573a4856.jpg

Ludington hasn't had a downtown grocery store for four years now (ever since Meijer opened and the Walmart became a Supercenter). The site of the previous store is now being developed with three buildings, one of which is now complete another that is under construction. Here is the residential building:

180276300_563e46acdf.jpg

180276296_57a5ee265a.jpg

(I don't have a picture of the commercial building; Consumer's Energy was in the way that day)

The grocery store once built, would actually be right behind me in that last picture on the site of the former drive-in A&W. That corner lot has basically been a half-paved eyesore of a parking lot ever since the A&W was demolished in the mid 90s, so any improvement on this corner would have been welcomed by me.

According to the article, the building will also house a welcome center and a wine shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Took this last night and stitched it together in Photoshop

ludingtonpanosmallof1.jpg

There are some other pictures that I could post if anyone is interested. But it migh take a while because the wifi in this hotel is slow as all get out. The Big Boy next door also has free wi-fi, maybe that is faster. :D

That boat is the "Badger". It takes a 4 hour cruise to Green Bay. It is 89 bucks round trip or 55 each way if you take your car on the boat with you.

Took this last night and stitched it together in Photoshop

%7Boption%7D

There are some other pictures that I could post if anyone is interested. But it migh take a while because the wifi in this hotel is slow as all get out. The Big Boy next door also has free wi-fi, maybe that is faster. :D

That boat is the "Badger". It takes a 4 hour cruise to Green Bay. It is 89 bucks round trip or 55 each way if you take your car on the boat with you.

Sure. I'd be interested to see a non-resident's view of Ludington. I didn't even know the Big Boy had wifi so I wouldn't be any help there.

...and, just a slight correction, the Badger actually runs to Manitowok, WI.

Sure. I'd be interested to see a non-resident's view of Ludington. I didn't even know the Big Boy had wifi so I wouldn't be any help there.

...and, just a slight correction, the Badger actually runs to Manitowok, WI.

ahh, I guess I heard someone say Green Bay since that is the closest "Big City" inland from Manitowoc.

I also overheard our waitress at P.M. Steamers tonight talking to another table telling them about the cruise from Muskegon that goes to Milwaukee.

Here is a pano of the town.

ludingtoncitypanosmallpj2.jpg

taken from atop Big Sable Point Light House

We walked all the way to the lighthouse on the beach (1.5 miles of sand) then walked back on the trail on the other side of the dunes to get back. Not to mention once we got there we had to go over 100 feet to the top...

fromlighthousetouchupjo6.jpg

• 8 months later...

Archived