The big 225 is coming up!

krazeeboi

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed. Part of the SC Tri-centennial celebration was the now defunct (I believe) Charles Town Landing quasi theme park outside of Charleston. This was one of 3 places built to celebrate the past, present, and future. I think there was a futuristic place built somewhere near Orangeburg, and the present day park built in the upstate. I don't remember for sure as I was a little kid in those days.

My family and I tried to go last year during Father's Day, but it was raining and they had already closed. I'll have to do some more research on the place as well, unless any Charlestonians already have some knowledge of the place they'd like to share.

Columbia will celebrate its quasquibicentennial, or 225th birthday in 2011 (March 22, to be exact). How should the city celebrate?

Maybe the metro population will hit a million to celebrate the milestone. It will take some substantial growth and maybe the aaddition of another county or two, but it's possible.

Maybe the metro population will hit a million to celebrate the milestone. It will take some substantial growth and maybe the aaddition of another county or two, but it's possible.

If you guys build that outerloop I proposed you'd be there (at the expense of Newberry, Winnsboro, Camden, Batesburg-Leesville, and etc.).

It's not that bad. You could have some super-modern edge city sprout out of the pines of NoRich at one of the interchanges. Look at that, even a trendy name would be born from it, Columbia joins the ranks of New York's SoNo with NoRich. :D

I thought this website existed to boost URBAN growth, not suburban and exurban growth.

My family and I tried to go last year during Father's Day, but it was raining and they had already closed. I'll have to do some more research on the place as well, unless any Charlestonians already have some knowledge of the place they'd like to share.

Charles Towne Landing is alive and well. The replica of the original settlers' ship, The Adventure, is almost complete and is said that it will be sea worthy to give visitors tours of the river in the ship. That is a great idea...let's just hope it works. The state is spending about $10 million to upgrade the park and renovate it along with building a new, large visitors center. These upgrades include renovations to the animal zoo, bike trails, and campground areas. Anyways, back to Cola hitting 225...how about a fireworks show at the new baseball stadium along the river?

I had heard it had fallen into a really bad state by the 80s. It's good they revived it. I think the other two parks disappeared. I've been meaning to do some research on it, but have not gotten around to it.

Yeah the Landing is still there, and I think that whatever was in Greenville is still there too. I am thinking that Roper Mountain was involved, but I forget the specifics.

I was thinking Carolina University, since everyone in this state refers to it as "Carolina." :lol:

Not a bad idea... But UNC would be mighty pissed off. Both UNC and USC are referred to as 'Carolina.'

Archived