Is Macy's pulling out of New Orleans?

StevenRocks

According to the AP, the Macy's store in downtown New Orleans will not reopen, and the reopening of the store at The Esplanade mall has been pushed back to possibly 2008, pending a "total redesign."

From what I've heard, the New Orleans Centre Macy's was not profitable in the first place, so its closing doesn't come as much of a surprise considering the damage it sustained. But the suburban store being closed indefinitely got me to thinking. Is Macy's leaving for good?

It would make sense symbolically to reopen a store in an area that's under intense media coverage like New Orleans in an upscale mall like The Esplanade, even if it meant speeding up the construction schedule a bit. But instead they keep delaying it, and seem likely to just close the store, thereby leaving the southern Louisiana market, save for a couple of stores towards Baton Rouge.

Thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I'm hearing, the only Macy's in S. Louisiana will be the one at the Mall of Louisiana in Baton Rouge. The Foley's at that mall is due to become Macy's some time this year.

They're turning the Foley's in Lafayette into a Macy's as well.

I think turning the Macy's in the N.O. Centre into the Hornets training facility and then including an ESPN Zone and other sports themed venues would be a good avenue to take. The Dome and the Arena are the biggest draws in that area, continue the theme.

I think turning the Macy's in the N.O. Centre into the Hornets training facility and then including an ESPN Zone and other sports themed venues would be a good avenue to take. The Dome and the Arena are the biggest draws in that area, continue the theme.

I've heard of some plans to turn the New Orleans Centre into a sports-themed building/area. Possibly and ESPN Zone, along with a New Orleans sports hall of fame, merchandise stores for the Saints and the Hornets, interactive activities for fans, and sports themed restaurants. There are also plans to turn parts of that area into a New Orleans jazz village, which would include things like a New Orleans Jazz museum, jazz clubs and restaurants, small festival areas, live music on the streets, etc.

As for Macy's closing, this is no suprising news to anyone around New Orleans. Pre-Katrina, Macy's had been saying that they "weren't sure" about the future of Macy's in the N.O. Centre, though there was much more talk about it possibly closing than there was about it staying open. The N.O. Centre has been losing stores and costumers for years, and as long as things continued, it didn't make much sense for Macy's to stay open business-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, just stupid. They'll be back.

It wouldn't suprise me. If most of the downtown residential towers and projects already proposed or in the works go forward as planned, I'll be willing to bet they'll be regretting their decision big time.

Archived