montecarloss

Rate Minneapolis' Skyline  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Minneapolis' Skyline

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

All's it's missing is something bigger than The Big 3.

Minneapolis is recognized as having one of the most beautiful skylines in the country, so I don't get all this crap about "for it's size." Ask most people and they will place it in the top 10 without hesitation, most people even int he top 5.

Considering how many of these lists and polls have been conducted over at SSP and SSC....

All's it's missing is something bigger than The Big 3.

Minneapolis is recognized as having one of the most beautiful skylines in the country, so I don't get all this crap about "for it's size." Ask most people and they will place it in the top 10 without hesitation, most people even int he top 5.

Considering how many of these lists and polls have been conducted over at SSP and SSC....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the phrase, "for a city of it's size (385,000)" or what have you---is very misleading. The city proper is about 385K, but the metro area is approaching 3 million and growing. Mpls/St. Paul is the commercial/financial hub of a fairly large region. When someone in Lakeville or Coon Rapids say they're "going downtown," they mean downtown Mpls.

I gave it a 9.5.

I love our skyline, but I also think it is just a tad bit too narrow. The downtown district is kept to a too-small area. I think zoning laws for "downtown" should include the St.Anthony Main areas across the river. ( I don't really know about the zoning laws) Plus, toward the east downtown area, there are many blocks dedicated to parking lots. YUCK.

One more thing---there has been this wierd aversion to building anything taller than the IDS tower. That's just stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nicollet is really going to help alot. The building itself will be quite a nice addition and it will also connect the Target headquartes into the main grouping of the skyline. Currently, Target tends to look a little stray, when looking from the south, as these photos do (Target is out of the crop).

• 2 weeks later...

I think Minneapolis is very attractive, perhaps among the best I've seen so far if you don't count Chicago. It actually *does* look like a city, and the Northwest (now Wells Fargo) tower really stood out at when I first saw the city when going through on a Greyhound bus. Even back in 1993, the city looked very spectacular in my opinion. I believe most folks who aren't from the area, and who visit for the first time would tend to agree. The same goes for St. Paul. Neither Minneapolis nor St. Paul are slouches in any sense of the word. I just wish I could have afforded to continue living there.

MrCoffee

I think Minneapolis is very attractive, perhaps among the best I've seen so far if you don't count Chicago.  It actually *does* look like a city, and the Northwest (now Wells Fargo) tower really stood out at when I first saw the city when going through on a Greyhound bus.  Even back in 1993, the city looked very spectacular in my opinion.  I believe most folks who aren't from the area, and who visit for the first time would tend to agree.  The same goes for St. Paul.  Neither Minneapolis nor St. Paul are slouches in any sense of the word.  I just wish I could have afforded to continue living there.

MrCoffee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're no longer in the Twin Cities area?

No, I'm not NorthStar. I had to give it up, because I could no longer afford it. I live in Pittsfield Township, Michigan now. Pittsfield is on the city borders between Ypsilanti, and Ann Arbor. The cost of living is considerably less here than it was in the Twin Cities. The location also works better for me, as it is closer to family members and some of the projects that I'm involved in.

MrCoffee

I kinda change my mind on my vote, haha. I am in Detroit now and took some pics of the skyline and various buildings (check out the Metro Detroit forum, Detroit photo-of-the-day topic). I noticed how cool Detroit looks because of the older buildings it has. Some of Detroit's tallest are from the 20's and 30's, making it look like New York in some places. I think Minneapolis needs some of this older architecture to give it some character, but thats just my opinion. Minneapolis has an awesome skyline as it is, but I just think it could use some older architecture.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Minneapolis for a vist a while back and was really impressed with the skyline. I would give it a 8 or 9 for a city its size. Overall, the city was impressive, but I just do not know if I could handle the winters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, with the "city of it's size" crap. Close to 400,000 people, with 3.1 mil in the metro (14th largest in the country) and many Fortune 500 companies.

People speak of us as if we are Boise or something. <_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the skyline looks nice, but I'm not sure if it's well recognized nationwide. In my opinion only two midwest skylines get national and worldwide recognition - Chicago and St. Louis. Both are easy to identify without question, Minneapolis is nice...but other than some tall buildings not much sets the place apart. I expect some grief for saying this, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Archived