Rate Minneapolis, Minnesota's Skyline

montecarloss

Rate Minneapolis' Skyline  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Minneapolis' Skyline

I would say from my years of living in MN that it's a solid "8." I wouldn't have recognized it per se prior to moving there. I knew before moving to MN that the skyline was tall and dense, but I probably wouldn't have been able to pick it out from, say, Seattle's skyline in a photo.

Like Seattle, actually, Minneapolis' skyline is tall and packs quite a visual punch when approaching the city, and it looks great at night, but it does lack one or two really signature buildings to burn into people's memories as being unquestionably Minneapolis. The Nicolette will help here a lot.

Ironically, the IDS used to be a lot more recognizable and distinctive in the past than it is now. First, its design was really ahead of its time (it still looks in the skyline like it could have been built a few years ago) and, secondly, it used to be the unquestioned icon of the cityscape. Since the rest of the skyline has caught up in height, now it looks like just one more glass tower...

- Garris

Providence, RI

(formerly 4 years in Rochester, MN)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see what the big deal is with skylines.

For those of use that live in the city, we don't see them.

Why build a pretty skyline for suburbanites driving past...

This is actually somewhat true... Living in the city, skylines are usually a non-factor... It's more of an artistic, civic pride sort of thing, I guess...

- Garris

See, Paris has a skyline.

From the top of the Eiffel tower, the city stretches as far as the eye can see. All of the landmarks are visible and it is truly beatiful.

Now the view in Minneapolis from the top of the IDS:

4 blocks by 10 blocks of downtown, surrounded by parking lots.

Highways and sprawl as far as the eye can see.

• 1 month later...

I gave it an 8. I really like the buildings that are there - it looks really nice at night - but I do wish there were some older, more historic buildings mixed in. And there are way too many parking lots - they sure went nuts with the urban "renewal" (now THERE'S an ironic title) didn't they? I'm really excited about a lot of the new buildings comming up. This place is going to look a lot better (and it already looks really good) in a few years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've rated it in the past but throught I'd revise my statement. I give it a 7 for a few reasons.

Yes- it is a well thought out skyline, but I think that city officials and neighborhoods are holding the skyline back a lot. People care too much about what type of shadows buildings cast. They do not see that taller buildings bring in more density, more density means more taxes, more taxes means more benefits.

• 4 weeks later...

I gave it an 8.0

I love Minneapolis' skyline. I've seen lots of very impressive skylines in the world.. but Minneapolis is still impressive when it comes down to it. Especially when you drive north on 35W.

I wouldn't go higher than an 8 though because, well, let's face it, I don't want to gloat about everything!

• 5 weeks later...

It's a well-massed, clean-looking skyline that contains great variety & creativity. It also has geography going for it. I give it a 9. I've only seen pictures, haven't been there. Lacks breadth & depth, IMO, but that's really the only criticism I have of it. It's a very photogenic skyline, there can be no doubting that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I would say Minneapolis has one of the best skylines in the nation. I like it because it has vibrant nightlife and a variety of stores to satisfy anyones tastes. I also really like the skyway system because you can get from one side of downtown to the other indoors. It's also really cool to have the stadiums and light rail downtown too.

• 3 weeks later...

"One more thing---there has been this wierd aversion to building anything taller than the IDS tower. That's just stupid."

Yeah, I don't get it. Ok so the IDS center was the first 700+ foot skyscraper in MPLS, but 225 S. Sixth and the wells fargo center are shorter by mere feet. I think 225 s. sixth is taller when you count "the halo". Who knows? I've only lived in the area for about a year, but it's one of the most beautiful and recognizable skylines in the country.

• 2 months later...

I think your skyline is amazing. I went to Minne when I was little, but I can't remember seeing the skyline. From the pictures I've seen, however, it looks really stunning. I would probably put it in the top 5 of the nation. The fact that it is packed into such a small area is nothing to complain about. That's exactly what makes it so awesome.

• 6 months later...

I rate it a 9. The Minneapolis skyline doesn't have a lot of buildings but it has a beautiful symmetry that few cities have. The tallest buildings are clustered in the middle with gradually shorter buildings flowing in each direction. I would liken it to Pittsburgh's skyline in terms of symmetry and the number of high rises. I lived in Rochester for a few years and was surprised and amazed the first time I saw downtown Minneapolis from a distance.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived