Birmingham Bowl in the works

Blazer85

Sounds like we have a bowl in the works for Birmingham. To be played at Legion Field, it is expected to feature a CUSA vs Big East matchup (or possibly MAC). ESPN is putting forward the proposal and is expected to be approved by the NCAA next week. The bowl would be owned and operated by ESPN. Great news for the Magic City.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I have heard that the east overhanging upper deck in Legion Field was turn out, is this true. I have been looking for pictures of it to see if it is true but all the photos are old. That would reduce about ten-thousand seats to the stadium and keep capacity over 70,000, but that is plenty of seats for the Bowl game.

The upper deck (which seated approx. 10,000 people) was indeed removed about a year ago. Legion Field still seats around 72,000 people. This summer, a new grade of artificial grass was installed at Legion Field which will make maintenance of the field cheaper and ensure the field is in good condition for a winter bowl game.

The upper deck (which seated approx. 10,000 people) was indeed removed about a year ago. Legion Field still seats around 72,000 people. This summer, a new grade of artificial grass was installed at Legion Field which will make maintenance of the field cheaper and ensure the field is in good condition for a winter bowl game.

The upper deck was condemned and had to be demolished. I personally think it is an improvement to the stadium, the upper deck had become a dangerous eye-sore.

But did you know, after the upper deck was built in the early 60's and before it was ever used it was condemned? Additional steel had to be added to the structure before it could be used.

Archived