Washington, D.C. vs. Philadelphia

Rwarky

Which city do you feel is the most vibrant and fast paced?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which city do you feel is the most vibrant and fast paced?

• Washington, D.C.
    • Philadelphia

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which city do you feel is the most vibrant and fast paced: Washington, D.C. or Philadelphia?

Btw, If you don't like this poll/thread, don't comment.

Lol

This is a tough choice. I'd say for vibrancy and nightlife, definitely Philly. Fast-paced though, I'd go with DC. Philly seemed more laidback yet still fun, whereas DC seemed more hectic yet less of a good time at night. Philly's downtown is amazing

Lol

This is a tough choice. I'd say for vibrancy and nightlife, definitely Philly. Fast-paced though, I'd go with DC. Philly seemed more laidback yet still fun, whereas DC seemed more hectic yet less of a good time at night. Philly's downtown is amazing

philly's downtown has that fast-paced big city feel during the week... but philly is so spread out that the outer areas feel more laid back.

i vote philly.

Wow this is a tough one. Both are great cities but I think I've gotta go with Philadelphia. It's a very fun city. While DC has the polished suit-and-tie downtown, Philly has a pulse and gritty soul that penetrates to Broad & Market and even Rittenhouse Square.

• 4 weeks later...

As a DC resident, this is very difficult. I like how Philly is kind of gritty and has a very vibrant Downtown. DC on the weekend is usually given over to tourist very few locals travel downtown for shopping. It appears that Philly has a much more vibrant Downtown retail scene that locals seem to frequent. I have to say that both are equal but for very different reasos.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Philly does have that gritty dowtown feeling. But I'm going with D.C. on this one. Due to the fact there are no tall skyscrapers and that still doesn't take away from the city and it's nightlife.

Nightlife doesn't often occur in skyscrapers.

Nightlife doesn't often occur in skyscrapers.

Since you didn't catch on to what I was saying :shok: !!!!! Most modern cities have tall skyscapers such as (philly) and D.C. has mostly or all midrise buildings with that being said I was only implying that it didn't take away from D.C. as a city. I'm just going to assume you didn't fully read the post :rofl:

Since you didn't catch on to what I was saying :shok: !!!!! Most modern cities have tall skyscapers such as (philly) and D.C. has mostly or all midrise buildings with that being said I was only implying that it didn't take away from D.C. as a city. I'm just going to assume you didn't fully read the post :rofl:

I think he was just saying that for a city of DC's size and importance, skyscrapers mean nothing. They would have tons of them if not for the regulations against them. Most cities without skyscrapers are not major cities and don't have a big city nightlife scene, which I guess was your point. However, with DC being possibly the most important city on Earth I don't really think there is a connection between DC and other Skyscraperless cities. :thumbsup:

If you're speaking about the entire metro areas, i'd defintely have to say DC. DC metro is much more vibrant and fast paced. Every place is packed and crowded. In contrast, the pace in Philly can range from laid-back to dead in some areas.

I don't see the shopping in Philly proper to be better than in DC. The best shopping in both metros are in big double malls (King of Prussia and Tysons I and II). In town, it's Rittenhouse & CC vs Georgetown and Dupont.

Philly does seem to have more people that walk around town, but DC to me feels more like a pulsating fast paced city.

I havent been to DC in a long time so I really cant comment.

I just returned from a trip to Philadelphia and was quite impressed. Philadelphia seemed very active and busy which was very nice to see for a city. It goes along with cities like (I only speak for ones I can speak for) Boston, New York City and LA.

Center City was bustling with business people, tourists and city residents. Center City was hopping and there were a lot of restaurants, bars, offices, shops, etc...meaning not that many vacant storefronts. Center City was active most of the day and late into the night....I stayed in Center City so I took note of this.

I ventured over to Penns Landing which was nice but quiet. The area seems to have fallen victim to the interstate which runs right through it. There were some nice streets by Penns Landing (forgot the name) that was filled with restaurants, bars and artists lofts and this area was busy. I crossed over the highway and there was a nice amphitheater area and views of Camden but not that many people over there.

I went for a walk and dinner in University City which was amazing. The neighborhood was hopping with young people and college & hospital related people even though schools were not in session. I was able to eat outside on the sidewalk at a restaurant.

I did like the idea that the city has a stadium district. I went on one of the city tours and I was informed they wanted to build one of the stadiums in Chinatown which would obviouslly ruin Chinatown so instead they built it in the stadium area which was great.

The city has quite a large convention center. It was nice that it was at least centered downtown.

I saw the art musuem and Ben Franklin Parkway that was lined with flags which almost makes it look like Paris.

Overall I like Philadelphia

I havent been to DC in a long time so I really cant comment.

I just returned from a trip to Philadelphia and was quite impressed. Philadelphia seemed very active and busy which was very nice to see for a city. It goes along with cities like (I only speak for ones I can speak for) Boston, New York City and LA.

Center City was bustling with business people, tourists and city residents. Center City was hopping and there were a lot of restaurants, bars, offices, shops, etc...meaning not that many vacant storefronts. Center City was active most of the day and late into the night....I stayed in Center City so I took note of this.

I ventured over to Penns Landing which was nice but quiet. The area seems to have fallen victim to the interstate which runs right through it. There were some nice streets by Penns Landing (forgot the name) that was filled with restaurants, bars and artists lofts and this area was busy. I crossed over the highway and there was a nice amphitheater area and views of Camden but not that many people over there.

I went for a walk and dinner in University City which was amazing. The neighborhood was hopping with young people and college & hospital related people even though schools were not in session. I was able to eat outside on the sidewalk at a restaurant.

I did like the idea that the city has a stadium district. I went on one of the city tours and I was informed they wanted to build one of the stadiums in Chinatown which would obviouslly ruin Chinatown so instead they built it in the stadium area which was great.

The city has quite a large convention center. It was nice that it was at least centered downtown.

I saw the art musuem and Ben Franklin Parkway that was lined with flags which almost makes it look like Paris.

Overall I like Philadelphia

Philadelphia is about to experience an explosion of growth in the next few years. It is the last big, dense city that isn't as overpriced as cities like Boston,NY, and DC. Penn is taking over the Postal lands in January of '07 and developing a project that will take 20 years to complete. We are transforming our industrial land into gleaming modern towers, new bridges,etc. Temple is doing their part in revitalizing the derelict area around it. Proposals are popping up left and right.The convention center is about to expand next year....It will be funny to see the changes.

Archived