McKay Tower Renovations

GRDadof3

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah the falcon is one of the great urban birds... I believe the bird tends to migrate to the city because of the tall buildings that lend themselves to height advantages over prey. It's amazing to watch them in their dives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_Falcon

They really aren't native to downtown Grand Rapids and Detroit. In Michigan their natural nesting area is in the cliffs in the UP. The DNR introduced chicks to GR and Detroit a few years ago as a way to restore the birds to Michigan after they had been pretty much been wiped out due to DDT. The idea was that tall buildings would be a substitute for their natural habitat and that the urban pigeon population would be a ready source of food.

A perigren falcon hung around my house in the City of Wyoming for a couple of days a year ago. It was startling to look out my kitchen window and see this big bird just a couple of feet away on the other side of the glass. Needless to say the sparrows didn't visit the birdfeeder for awhile. I watched this falcon chase the squirrels in the yard although someone at a birdseed store said they don't do that. I guess the falcon didn't know any better.

• 7 months later...

OK, I was a lurker for a long time before joining up. Now I'm going to dig up this gem from the past and ask if anyone has an update on McKay Tower. There's been a lot of posts about new construction, what about the renovation of this original downtown landmark? :dontknow:

- for the record, I think that rusting ball of metal on the roof has got to go. It is the urban skyscraper equivalent of a rusting Buick up on the blocks in the front yard of a house in your neighborhood.

I agree. I'd like to see something replace it, but with a little more artistic flair. I'd also like to know what is going on here. The thought of McKay Tower lit up at night is fabulous!

Joe

OK, I was a lurker for a long time before joining up. Now I'm going to dig up this gem from the past and ask if anyone has an update on McKay Tower. There's been a lot of posts about new construction, what about the renovation of this original downtown landmark? :dontknow:

- for the record, I think that rusting ball of metal on the roof has got to go. It is the urban skyscraper equivalent of a rusting Buick up on the blocks in the front yard of a house in your neighborhood.

I agree. I'd like to see something replace it, but with a little more artistic flair. I'd also like to know what is going on here. The thought of McKay Tower lit up at night is fabulous!

Joe

That's why I brought it up. There seemed to be so much excitement last September about changes coming to this building but I haven't seen much since. There is so much going on around that area from the Art Museum, to the Founders building reskin, to the Mariott, even the recent work to clean up the block from Mojos to the Chop House. This building (McKay) is due.

I guess some questions on here go unanswered. Even the owner of the building posted on here earlier in the thread. You have to remember though that the housing/condo market is soft, and especially through the late Fall/Winter. He may be planning a spring/summer kickoff here soon? :dontknow:

Building a clock tower or something like that on McKay would be a really cool asset to the building...plus maybe another story or two over all on top...just to give it more of a "finished" look.

A steeply sloped copper roof with dormers might be an interesting finish...

Building a clock tower or something like that on McKay would be a really cool asset to the building...plus maybe another story or two over all on top...just to give it more of a "finished" look.

A steeply sloped copper roof with dormers might be an interesting finish...

I like the ideas...

from the simple

472797873_7faca8d077_o.jpg

to the sublime

472797869_c30d1b09a2_o.jpg

I like the clock on top idea. I used to work in McKay Tower - up until about a year ago and it seemed like the building changed owners in the 7 years I worked there. They did a little cleaning inside with replacing doors, carpeting, and inside signs. I'd love to see an update to the outside to give it a "Tower" feel.

Yeah, I've seen that clocktower look somewhere before..

http://static.flickr.com/30/98132341_93cae2f4cd.jpg

Actually wingbert, I think the clock tower would be more dramatic if it were on a NSEW axis and right out at the corner of the building by Pearl. Then you could see it looking down Pearl:

Have at it:

473458386_713b69490b_b.jpg

473458390_4b046d2874_b.jpg

Yeah, I've seen that clocktower look somewhere before..

http://static.flickr.com/30/98132341_93cae2f4cd.jpg

Actually wingbert, I think the clock tower would be more dramatic if it were on a NSEW axis and right out at the corner of the building by Pearl. Then you could see it looking down Pearl:

Have at it:

Well, I only had time for one (I do have a job after all - fortunately it involves Photoshop). Sorry if it looks a little hinky. Is this what you were thinking?

473874077_ff7c732137.jpg

I kept it a little understated. Plus I finished off the penthouse level with a smaller version of the current top floor.

Might be trippin', but it seems like they light it at Christmas time....or used too??

It used to be covered with red lights. My dad (1919-1981) used to tell us kids that back in his day it was called "Joe Brewer's nipple" after either the guy that owned the building or had the lights installed ( I can't remember which)

• 10 months later...

Archived