McKay Tower Renovations

GRDadof3

Like many office buildings in GR, it is not full. The 16th floor has been vacant for quite some time and a tenant occupying most of the 14th floor just built their own office building outside the CBD, so the timing is pretty good.

As a side note, are you still seeing a outward migration of tenants to the burbs? Because everything that I've read lately states that downtown is the new hot spot for companies to relocate. Thanks.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a side note, are you still seeing a outward migration of tenants to the burbs? Because everything that I've read lately states that downtown is the new hot spot for companies to relocate. Thanks.

My research concurs with what you have read - the overall absorption rate in the CBD is increasing for both commercial and residential space.

Are you serious or joking? :huh:

I have never understood that stupid thing (the stupid being purely my opinion of course).

You could definatly do some sort of park or bar (ghost bar anyone) up there. Fencing could be more of a glass wall or a solarium with retractable roof. That would be sweet.

Horse Hockey............Going green doesn't cost, it pays. It's amazing how many people are under the assumption that green building costs a lot more then conventional construction. Yes, there are some small upfront premiums but with continued performance over the life of the building the payback keeps paying. It's truly the gift that keeps on giving.

If you're comparing the cost of building new, I'd agree.

If you're comparing the cost of changes necessary in an existing building that's 50+ years old and the purely economic return to be expected, I think you can anticipate being upside down over any reasonable time horizon in most cases.

If you're comparing the cost of building new, I'd agree.

If you're comparing the cost of changes necessary in an existing building that's 50+ years old and the purely economic return to be expected, I think you can anticipate being upside down over any reasonable time horizon in most cases.

Uhhh, Nitro is a LEED Accredited Professional and a licensed architect. I believe most of the LEED work he has done has been in buildings 50+ years old. I think he knows from whence he speaks. :D

I have never understood that stupid thing (the stupid being purely my opinion of course).

You could definatly do some sort of park or bar (ghost bar anyone) up there. Fencing could be more of a glass wall or a solarium with retractable roof. That would be sweet.

A lot of the older people refered to the Weatherball on the MNB as a landmark. People would say "you knew you were in GR when you saw the ball."

Weather ball saying:

Weatherball red, warmer ahead.

Weatherball blue, cooler in view.

Weatherball green, no change foreseen.

Colors blinking bright, rain or snow in sight.

Brief history - http://www.wzzm13.com/weather/weatherball.asp

Hope this helps.

Uhhh, Nitro is a LEED Accredited Professional and a licensed architect. I believe most of the LEED work he has done has been in buildings 50+ years old. I think he knows from whence he speaks. :D

Well, I'm not here to start a fight. However, I feel one of my duties in my job is to work to dispell the myths that seem (on some levels) to hinder sustainable design from moving forward.

In response to Localtalent's response, I'll say this. To walk into an existing space that you have no plans to do any construction to and say to yourself "I want a LEED certification", you're not going to get very far.

However, doing environmental and energy upgrades to existing (even + 50 year old buildings) in the process of construction is not difficult to do.

If anybody doesn't believe me, stop by the office. I'll show you the gas and electric bills for our 1918 vintage building that is costing us about 40% less to heat, cool, and light then a brand new building just built to meet "code".

We have a saying in the green building world. Building to "code" is the bare minimum to keep yourself out of prison. High performance buildings leave code in the dust.

Well, I'm not here to start a fight. However, I feel one of my duties in my job is to work to dispell the myths that seem (on some levels) to hinder sustainable design from moving forward.

In response to Localtalent's response, I'll say this. To walk into an existing space that you have no plans to do any construction to and say to yourself "I want a LEED certification", you're not going to get very far.

However, doing environmental and energy upgrades to existing (even + 50 year old buildings) in the process of construction is not difficult to do.

If anybody doesn't believe me, stop by the office. I'll show you the gas and electric bills for our 1918 vintage building that is costing us about 40% less to heat, cool, and light then a brand new building just built to meet "code".

We have a saying in the green building world. Building to "code" is the bare minimum to keep yourself out of prison. High performance buildings leave code in the dust.

Cool. I stand corrected.

Mark, go green with the condos!

Mark,

Welcome to UP! Glad to see yet another developer on here talking with us.

I say put a giant Tom Otterness sculpture of King Kong on top of your building. That would really get people talking. ;)

In all seriousness, I wish you luck with your endevors downtown. It's great to see continued in-state investors (do disrespect to Duane Faustian type investment) capitalizing on this exciting time in GR.

So you think we shouldn't have outside investment? I thought that was one of 'things' holding us back, a lack of foreign investment. :dontknow: or large economic drivers to attract visitors to the city.

Maybe he didn't type out "don't" completely?

Sorry, I meant "no disrespect" not "DO disrespect".

Outside investment isn't bad....local investment is my personal preference as the people have more of a vested interest in the project. It's analogous to absentee landlords vs. live-in landlords.

Archived