McKay Tower Renovations

GRDadof3

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what about the clocktower?

I noticed that in all the exterior views on that McKay Tower website, the roof is more or less conveniently omitted. Perhaps they aren't big fans of that rusting metal carcass up top either. As more buildings go vertical (JW Marriott, Riverhouse, Amway Grand Plaza, etc.) that thing becomes more of an obvious eyesore to those who might be looking at it from above.

I noticed that in all the exterior views on that McKay Tower website, the roof is more or less conveniently omitted. Perhaps they aren't big fans of that rusting metal carcass up top either. As more buildings go vertical (JW Marriott, Riverhouse, Amway Grand Plaza, etc.) that thing becomes more of an obvious eyesore to those who might be looking at it from above.

Plus, you can't hide from an airplane full of cameras.

http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuNDk1MDMlN2Vz...jAuNzYxNzE4NzU=

It's interesting to scroll around and look at downtown. I never new the county building roof was so colorful. And GRAM is only half there.

I had heard that the owner did not want an all out marketing campaign since he was trying to bill these residences as very prestigious and reserved for high end tenants. With only one out of 12 sold I would think it might make sense to broaden his target market.

Oh right, that old marketing strategy. :P "Since wealthy buyers are only 1% of the population, thereby much harder to reach, let's do less marketing". It worked wonders for the Derby and Fitzgerald too.

• 4 weeks later...

1 sold out of the 12 available. Perhaps some more marketing is in order?

I had heard that the owner did not want an all out marketing campaign since he was trying to bill these residences as very prestigious and reserved for high end tenants. With only one out of 12 sold I would think it might make sense to broaden his target market.

Actually, we are just now beginning to market The Residences at McKay Tower. Broadcast and print media, MLS listings, open houses, Tour of Downtown Living, etc. have happened or are forthcoming.

We have spent a great deal of time (18+ months) and resources (a lot) updating systems in the building in order to accommodate the condos. During that time, the condo floors were basically "torn apart" while we updated electric, heating/cooling, sprinkler, gas, cable/phone, ventilation, lighting, etc. At the same time, we were building a model unit and working on the owners' lounge/exercise area and roof deck. Basically a lot of construction and not terribly appealing to walk around in.

It is true that we have 11 units to sell and that we believe our product is "high end" (finish level, customizability, location, view, etc.) The pricing is not rock bottom, but it is quite reasonable relative to other projects in the Grand Rapids area.

Our marketing efforts will focus on the demographics we believe are likely to be interested in The Residences. Our goal is to reach out to these demographics in a focused manner rather than taking the "cast the widest net" approach.

Mark

Great news. I bet it's going to have some awesome views!

Can you tell me, do you still plan to light the outside of the building? I thought that plan was in the works.

Joe

Actually, we are just now beginning to market The Residences at McKay Tower. Broadcast and print media, MLS listings, open houses, Tour of Downtown Living, etc. have happened or are forthcoming.

We have spent a great deal of time (18+ months) and resources (a lot) updating systems in the building in order to accommodate the condos. During that time, the condo floors were basically "torn apart" while we updated electric, heating/cooling, sprinkler, gas, cable/phone, ventilation, lighting, etc. At the same time, we were building a model unit and working on the owners' lounge/exercise area and roof deck. Basically a lot of construction and not terribly appealing to walk around in.

It is true that we have 11 units to sell and that we believe our product is "high end" (finish level, customizability, location, view, etc.) The pricing is not rock bottom, but it is quite reasonable relative to other projects in the Grand Rapids area.

Our marketing efforts will focus on the demographics we believe are likely to be interested in The Residences. Our goal is to reach out to these demographics in a focused manner rather than taking the "cast the widest net" approach.

Mark

Great news. I bet it's going to have some awesome views!

Can you tell me, do you still plan to light the outside of the building? I thought that plan was in the works.

Joe

We are still looking into this. We have evaluated a few different lighting approaches, but have yet to find the "right one."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I certainly agree a clocktower of some sort should be in the area. I was thinking that just the other day walking down Monroe being able to just barely being able to hear the bells of another clock downtown. River City building has a clock. Does that have chimes? If not, perhaps one of some sort could be incorportated into the B.O.B development.

You know the more I think about it and look at the McKay building - I don't think the clock tower would be such a good idea.

I like the better suggestions of keeping it the way it is but adding some lighting effects or enhancements.

During christmas time there's a building in Raleigh that changes their outside building lights to red and green and they shoot up the wall - it's very cool...

they are tricky and i can't copy the image URL - so you'll have to see it from here

They also light up their other buildings during xmas too - it'd be so cool to have something like this in GR - especially in McKay

http://raleighskyline.com/content/2007/12/...-december-2007/

You know what would be really cool is if during xmas when the GRAM does the tree lighting if all the buildings down monroe center gets some sort of stage lighting - and they could light up the whole Monroe Center, McKay Tower - and the GRAM all at once for a light festival.

Now THAT would be some cool stuff right there.

They could also freeze colored LED lights into the ice rink and make the ice glow :thumbsup:

Y

You know - I always wished they would have made Monroe/Pear/Monroe Center one big traffic circle and have a nice sized clock tower in the middle.

Could always move that statue and put it over by Rosa Parks or something or even incorporate it with the tower.

Oh I certainly agree a clocktower of some sort should be in the area. I was thinking that just the other day walking down Monroe being able to just barely being able to hear the bells of another clock downtown. River City building has a clock. Does that have chimes? If not, perhaps one of some sort could be incorportated into the B.O.B development.

GVSU has a really nice clocktower along Fulton across the river. You can see it quite clearly from Division and Fulton, and probably even a bit further east.

I'm not sure if the historical city hall clocktower in front of the County building makes still makes any noise.

Archived