A Wide Look at Providence, RI

citationx092

I've been away from Providence for a few months. But with the Easter Weekend I was back and the great weather provided a nice opportunity to see all the changes that Providence is undergoing. Thanks to my good friend Steve for his camera and photography ability. Canon Rebel XT and Sigma f/4-5.6 10-20mm lens

bankofamerica13ju.jpg

bankofamerica21jd.jpg

bankofamerica32ef.jpg

bigwhite17md.jpg

bigwhite22vh.jpg

bigwhite30rg.jpg

biltmore1yk.jpg

capitalbuildingnc4vg.jpg

cranes18bh.jpg

firsthotel8er.jpg

firsthotel25fo.jpg

gtech17yb.jpg

gtech20bq.jpg

gtech36rp.jpg

intercontinental5di.jpg

intercontinental26om.jpg

mall4rf.jpg

reflection10jv.jpg

reflection25wz.jpg

textron5fp.jpg

waterandmall2an.jpg

westin19ru.jpg

westin24wr.jpg

westin36rj.jpg

westin45gh.jpg

westminister14mp.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow those are some of the most amazing shots I have seen of any city in a long time and beat my Providence photos. How did you get those pictures to come out so clearly and so perfect? I also see the weather was perfect

• 2 weeks later...

No. Just used a 10mm lens.

Last night! Taken from the top of the Nordstrom side parking garage at the mall. I brightened it up just a tad in photoshop. Canon Rebel XT, 25 second exposure, 12mm, f/20, ISO100, -.3 step

i95night3vn.jpg

What I could get of the Capital building at night from the parking garage! Canon Rebel XT, 25 second exposure, 20mm, f/8, ISO100, -.3 step

capitalnight3pl.jpg

Just curious, but what's with the distortion? The cars in most of those pics look like they've been squished.

I don't know much about photography, so I'm confused on that. Does it do something for the photo?

By the way, I'm talking about the first post here. My computer is slow so I haven't been able to see the photos in the second post yet.

If I'm understanding you correctly I would imagine it has to do with what type of lens he was using.

Ahh okay. I wondered that since people were asking what kind of lens he used.

Thanks for the info, Rod. I've got a lot to learn about photography.

Beautiful shots. :thumbsup: I was curious what's the longest shutter speed you can have on the Canon Digital Rebel XT?

It's technically 30 seconds, but you can take things into your own hands with a remote shutter release that will hold the lens open for as long as you hold the button down. I have one, but haven't played with it much yet...

10 mm lens on a digital camera is pretty amazing. I can only imagine how much said lens cost... There's actually remarkably little distortion on that lens given how wide it is. There actually appears to be less distortion with that lens than I have with my 14 mm Sigma...

Sigma must be learning pretty fast!

- Garris

It's technically 30 seconds, but you can take things into your own hands with a remote shutter release that will hold the lens open for as long as you hold the button down. I have one, but haven't played with it much yet...

10 mm lens on a digital camera is pretty amazing. I can only imagine how much said lens cost... There's actually remarkably little distortion on that lens given how wide it is. There actually appears to be less distortion with that lens than I have with my 14 mm Sigma...

Sigma must be learning pretty fast!

- Garris

Thanks for the info. :D

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't checked the thread in a while.

Yes, the distortion is due to the fact that it IS a 10mm lens. For instance, the one with the squished car, I was basically standing about 30-50ft from the building to take that picture. I managed to get the WHOLE building (god I LOVE this lens!). It causes distortion at the edges due to the fact that it is a 10mm lens and encompasses so much into a piece of glass.

1 gripe about the lens is that it's only an f/4-5.6. I'm an aviation photographer as well and 10mm is crazy for cockpit shots. However, night shots are a pain because I can't go below f/4 (even f/3.5 would be better and f/2.8 would cost way too much money). Another pain is the lack of IS, granted this is just a personal thing that's not even needed on this lens.

It's SHARP as anything though usually especially if shooting in the right conditions!

The lens was rather inexpensive as well. Only $450, which is VERY good when compared to Canon's 10-20 f/3.5-? lens which is around $600.

Did I mention I'm only 16 years old? But still, there's nothing like going out in the city with a 10mm lens and a college buddy to take some pictures :). Thanks to Matt (CitationX092) for the idea of going out that day!

• 2 months later...

Archived