2006 New Orleans Mayoral Election

TSmith

I'm posting this honestly to get some feedback and opinions. I'm really torn between three cantidates. So far, my favorite is Rob Couhig. Forman and Landrieu are about a tie in my mind. But I don't want to vote for Couhig if he doesn't have a chance. With Landrieu, I'm worried about fueling the Landrieu political machine, even though I believe that Mitch is an honest motivated leader. To me, Forman seems to have been recruited to run... I'm not sure if he really wants it. He also endorsed the idea of a third term for our crooked mayor Marc Morial four years ago. So, with me, I'd say I'm leaning toward either Couhig or Landrieu. I'd really like to hear some opinions from yall, even though most of you don't live in New Orleans. As you know... as goes New Orleans, so goes the metro area and even the entire state. So, in my mind, your opinions are just as important as anyone else's. Help me make up my mind here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm posting this honestly to get some feedback and opinions. I'm really torn between three cantidates. So far, my favorite is Rob Couhig. Forman and Landrieu are about a tie in my mind. But I don't want to vote for Couhig if he doesn't have a chance. With Landrieu, I'm worried about fueling the Landrieu political machine, even though I believe that Mitch is an honest motivated leader. To me, Forman seems to have been recruited to run... I'm not sure if he really wants it. He also endorsed the idea of a third term for our crooked mayor Marc Morial four years ago. So, with me, I'd say I'm leaning toward either Couhig or Landrieu. I'd really like to hear some opinions from yall, even though most of you don't live in New Orleans. As you know... as goes New Orleans, so goes the metro area and even the entire state. So, in my mind, your opinions are just as important as anyone else's. Help me make up my mind here.

I think the most important thing is for the country to have the perception that New Orleans elected someone who has broad support from business and isn't the same old. Landrieu wouldn't be a bad choice IMO, but his name is affiliated with New Orleans politics, and his sister (whom I like) isn't exactly broadly popular.

Forman, to me, is a fresh face. He certainly did a great job with the Audubon institute, and he had the support of good government groups and the TP endorsement.

I'm not a New Orleanian, but if I was voting it would be for Forman.

What are the chances of a change of regime in New Orleans? I do think it's necessary, but I am not sure if there is any real chance of this actually happening. Have there been any recent projections suggesting someone other than Nagin winning the election?

What are the chances of a change of regime in New Orleans? I do think it's necessary, but I am not sure if there is any real chance of this actually happening. Have there been any recent projections suggesting someone other than Nagin winning the election?

From what I've seen, it looks like a runoff between Landrieu and Nagin. In that scenario, you can take it to the bank that Landrieu would win. I believe the last poll I saw had Landrieu leading overall by one percentage point, followed by Nagin... then Forman, Couhig and Boulet, respectively. Should be an interesting election. In the end, Nagin is out. I think that's pretty clear, unless he avoids a runoff... which according to polls, should not happen. Thanks for the responses so far.

For me, I'm locked between Landrieu, Forman, and Couhig. Landrieu has the best chance of winning between the three, but IMO he may not be the best candidate. Couhig is a smart man, and I think he could be a great leader for the city, the same could be said for Forman, and we have already seen what he did with the Audubon Institute. I'm sure Landrieu would also be a great leader for New Orleans, but it seems like up to this point, he's just been telling the voters what he thinks they want to hear. "I'm going to get better levees" "I'm going to make sure we have our coastal wetlands" "I will keep crime out of New Orleans" and so on, while I have yet to see him present a detailed plan of how he plans to do all of this.

Personally, I think the best candidate's are behind the top of the curve in this one.

Just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow's mayoral debate will be nationally televised on MSNBC 9pm eastern, 8pm central. Moderated by Chris Matthews and Norman Robinson... it should be well done and very interesting. Maybe some of you out of towners could watch it and tell us what you think....

Just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow's mayoral debate will be nationally televised on MSNBC 9pm eastern, 8pm central. Moderated by Chris Matthews and Norman Robinson... it should be well done and very interesting. Maybe some of you out of towners could watch it and tell us what you think....

Wow, I had no idea that it was going to be natioaly televised. This will definately be a very important event for all of the candidates.

:shok::shok:

Wow, I had no idea... I'm definitely going to watch that... thanks for the info!!

Yeah, and I'm torn. I like Landrieu, but I'm not sure if he has the political will to change the way this city works... the way it educates, the way it approaches business... the progressive changes that we need. I also don't like the fact that he is a lifelong politician.

That said, I'm also torn about Couhig... although I like his message. But he slipped up tonight by saying that he'd tell large conventions to be wary of bringing their meeting here because of a lack of services. That was a big blunder. He should have said something to the effect of, "Yeah I'd tell 'em to come. We handled Mardi Gras... we'd go out of our way to make a 30,000 person convention a success." I'd like to hear him clarify that remark. If he does that, I probably would vote for him.

^Do you think Couhig really has a good shot at winning? I still don't see him getting up there with Landrieu and Nagin.

That's what's killing me. I don't want to throw my vote away. The best thing that could happen would be for Forman to drop out. He performed horribly tonight. Not well spoken. Speaks in dreamy generalities with no real plan. But as it stands now, Couhig doesn't have a shot. And it's a shame, because I'd bet that there are a lot of people in the same predicament that I am in.

And it's a shame, because I'd bet that there are a lot of people in the same predicament that I am in.

I would definately be willing to bet on it. I'm mostly torn between Couhig and Landrieu. I still don't think Landrieu is the best choice to turn the political structure and much of the city around, but I really don't think Couhig has much of a shot, and don't want to throw my vote away.

I hear the Times Picayune is endorsing Forman ?

The Mayor of BR has endorsed Landrieu;

The vibes I'm getting from around here seem like Landrieu definitly has the edge .

I think Landrieu will run away with it.

Forman came across poorly in the debate, and I even see Landrieu signs in BR.

Here are the numbers right now for the mayor of New Orleans. These numbers don't mean all that much considering less than 30% of the precints are reporting, and even once all of them have reported, all of the mail in votes will have to be counted, which will take days at the least.

Ray Nagin-33%

Mitch Landrieu-25%

Ron Forman-20%

Rob Couhig -15%

To win the election without a runoff, a candidate needs 51% of the vote, plus one. Or one more vote than 51%.

I will keep updating the numbers through the night. :thumbsup:

The results now, with 59% of the precincts reporting.

Ray Nagin-33%

Mitch Landrieu-29%

Ron Forman-20%

Rob Couhig-12%

What you see as the results come in is that as results from areas that are still predominately black, Ray Nagin jumps a bit further ahead, but then as results from precincts that are predominately white come in, Mitch Landrieu jumps up and comes closer to Nagin. This is where the fact that there are more white people than black in the city really comes into play. But again, remember that even after all of the precincts have been reported, all of the mail in votes have to be counted. So we will not know who the new mayor of New Orleans will be tonight.

And the final results are in from the precincts.

Ray Nagin-38%

Mitch Landrieu-29%

Nagin and Landrieu will be in the upcoming runoff, and at that point, Nagin has no chance. Landrieu will get all of Couhig's and Forman's votes, while Nagin will pick up a few, but not nearly as much as Landrieu. He really has nearly no shot at it.

I don't have the percent's, but coming in 3rd was Ron Forman and 4th was Rob Couhig.

Edit: I said that the election was anybody's game, but I forgot for a moment that nearly all of Couhig's and Forman's votes will go to Landrieu, which means he will more than likely run away with it.

Archived