CMRTA

Doug L

Who on earth came up with the moniker CENTRAL MIDLANDS REGIONAL TRANIST AUTHORITY anyway? That is the most cumbersome un-imaginative name I have heard of any city's transportation system. The acronym is not even pronounceable must less have meaning.

Charlotte has CATS, Atlanta has MARTA (at least it is pronounceable), San Francisco has BART (again, it is at least pronounceable), Honolulu has THE BUS (which stands for nothing but it is a cute catch phrase) and Philadelphia has SEPTA (same comment as Atlanta and SF).

With just a little bit of imagination we could have had:

CART....... Columbia Area Rapid (or regional) Transit. That would have been a neat little double entendre. The logo could be a donkey pulling a cart but with speed lines and a dust cloud trailing it.

CABS...... Columbia Area Bus System. Another little double entendre. The logo could be a caricature of a taxi.

Get those creative juices flowing! Let's show those bureaucrat how to be original!

............................................................................ :huh:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as I recall, the Columbia Transit Agency (CTA) gave control to a new company, the Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority (CMRTA). My guess is that they wanted to make the name more applicable ot the region (since there are more cities than Columbia in the region), and the local Council of Governments is called the Central Midlands COG. I assume that this was done to better reflect the regional goal of the transit system.

I agree that it is not the most original. Something like CART would be a more appropriate acronym. But really, how original is SEPTA vs CMRTA other than it makes a word? (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority)....

I applaud Columbia for not having the same name as every other city that starts with a "C" .... CAT (Clemson, Charlotte, Chicago, etc)

Perhaps something like CMTA (Central Midlands Transit Authority), or COLT: Columbia Organization for Local Transit or COLA: COlumbia Local Transportation Agency

I don't remember where, but I've already seen this topic somewhere... possibly deja vu or something. I think though a recommended idea was the CMART pronounced as smart... but i don't want to take anyone's ideas

Originally I started a thread on http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=23582 but the response was so blah that I thought to bring it to a much more active blog with more people that seem to be more genuine about Columbia and the midlands area. CMART is one of the suggestions that my friend Bob made there.

I understand why the powers-that-be wanted a regional name, but please, we could have been so much more original. Anything that wants to succeed needs to advertise and without a good 'hook' it becomes much more difficult to get the message across to the public and to destroy the perception that public transportation is only for the poor.

Well, as I recall, the Columbia Transit Agency (CTA) gave control to a new company, the Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority (CMRTA). My guess is that they wanted to make the name more applicable ot the region (since there are more cities than Columbia in the region), and the local Council of Governments is called the Central Midlands COG. I assume that this was done to better reflect the regional goal of the transit system.

I agree that it is not the most original. Something like CART would be a more appropriate acronym. But really, how original is SEPTA vs CMRTA other than it makes a word? (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority)....

I applaud Columbia for not having the same name as every other city that starts with a "C" .... CAT (Clemson, Charlotte, Chicago, etc)

Perhaps something like CMTA (Central Midlands Transit Authority), or COLT: Columbia Organization for Local Transit or COLA: COlumbia Local Transportation Agency

Spartan:

I really like the COLA! That is the most original one I have seen yet. The double entendre is the best I have seen!

The name we have is ok. But I rather some flashy acronym meaning transit. Something that can be pronounced!! I went to Detroit and I can remember telling my self how plain there bus system was. Detroit had a little rail called ''THE PEOPLE MOVER'' that only looped through downtown. I thought that was the most unattractive name I've ever heard of. I can deal with Cola it goes more with the city.

The name we have is ok. But I rather some flashy acronym meaning transit. Something that can be pronounced!! I went to Detroit and I can remember telling my self how plain there bus system was. Detroit had a little rail called ''THE PEOPLE MOVER'' that only looped through downtown. I thought that was the most unattractive name I've ever heard of. I can deal with Cola it goes more with the city.

I agree 803metlife. We need a 'hook'. Something that people will remember! Something that tourists will take back to their homes and say 'guess what I saw in Columbia, SC'. Something that Columbians will be proud of.

In OAHU there is an island wide bus system that almost everyone rides. They simply call it 'THE BUS'. It is written in 3' high block letters on each side of each vehicle. It is simple, cute and memorable!

Cart is perfect for a commuter train or subway...Columbia Area Rapid Transit!

Thanx, Matt. What do you think of the logo (a donkey pulling a cart only with speed lines and a dust cloud trailing behind)?

Now, all we have to do is convince the politicians! :rofl: They have about as much imagination as a rock.

Sorry Matt, I'm an idea man and definately NOT an artist!

My friend, Bob, has come up with a new one that I like a lot, COlumbia MEtro Transport -- COMET. Now that one really holds promise!

By George, I think you've got it! The possibilities are enormous and I love the name. Your friend honestly needs to let CMRTA know about this. The log will be awesome and everyone would love to ride on a comet. They could even have a special for riding the comet to USC football games and the State Fair! I can see it now...ride the Comet to see Spurrier's air express!

:yahoo:

By George, I think you've got it! The possibilities are enourmous and I love the name. Your friend honestly needs to let CMRTA know about this. The log will be awesome and everyone would love to ride on a comet. They could even have a special for riding the comet to USC football games and the State Fair! I can see it now...ride the Comet to see Spurrier's air express!

:yahoo:

I agree, Mat. Bob has come up with at least a dozen different ones that I thought were good; but this one is excellent!!! I have added this one to the Mayor's blog; but someone needs to drive it home to him how important a name can be.

By the way, if anyone that has connections in an ad agency in Columbia is reading this blog they definately need to offer this man a job!

Just a little side line, Matt. Bob is the man that came up with the name for our web site. How original is that?

Also, we purchased two Egyptian Mau cats a few years back. He named them. The male is Alexander the Cat and the female is Queen Nefrikitti.

I'm telling you, Bob is full of original ideas!

Archived