Litter in North Carolina

raleightransplant

I have noticed when I really look that there is a crazy amount of litter on the roads in North Carolina. What can be done about this that other states are currently doing? Is it worse here than other states you've visited? Are people just more lazy here? It's 2006...you would think the idea of just throwing crap out of your car would be a little less prevalent after all these years. Where is the pride in where you live? :angry: Is it so hard to get to a trash can?

Here's a story in the N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/429345.html

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you have to remember is that a lot of the junk has been here for a long, long, long time from back in the day when people just created their own trash piles out in the woods or behind their house. Since that time development has occured and new roads built and some of those roads go right beside these trash piles.

The problem is caused by all the transplants from other states moving here and bringing their bad habits with them. Before all the outsiders moved here, the state was a lot cleaner.

I hate to say it, but I agree. I see so much litter along NC 421, US70, etc. It is disgusting to see all of that littler along our roads. :angry: It seemed like it wasn't as bad 10+ years ago.

I actually think that road cleanup budgets simply haven't kept up with population growth. I know in Charlotte NCDOT had not given nearly enough to keep up with cleaning up the urban freeways, so the city funded that cleanup. Last year, though, the city had a budget crunch, and decided to no longer fund what was the state responsibility. So now the freeways in Charlotte are noticeably worse.

I sort of agree, though, that some people moving here are worse for littering, and having a base of litter doesn't help behavior.

If you want to see some of the dirtiest and most littered streets and freeways in the state, head, ironically, to Asheville. That and the recent clear-cut subdivisions and big box farms springing up all over south Buncombe, are such a terrible blemishes on an otherwise beautiful city and area.

Most states still use "Chain-Gangs" for cleanup. This however does not prevent people from disposing where they want. Then you have the "Adopt a Highway" signs. I personally think every road nationwide should do this. Create a trash hotline and all those caught should be forced to pick up trash for a week. Rural areas seem to have a lot of beer bottles and beer cans. I even watched a woman finish changing a baby diaper then throw it along the freeway at 65 MPH. I am guilty myself that I used to throw my cigarett butts out at highway speeds but have changed my ways. Bring back the old comercials with the Indian in his canoe shedding a tear. Does anybody else remember these comercials?

Guess I should have read the article before I post. Inmates have removed most of the trash. But the problem is everyone just turning their head, like Helen from the article wanting to drive home at night so she doesn't have to look at it. Thank you for helping Helen

Funny thing guys.....I hear people from all over who are out of state comment on how clean our state is and especially Charlotte. I do admit that our state has become more dirty over the past several years.

I meet people who have moved here from all over the country and they all remark on how clean NC and all her cities are. I'm always kinda like "huh?" :huh:

Having lived here practically all my life, I think things are worse now than when I was younger. I can say though, the dirtiest place I have ever seen was Philadelphia, PA during a sanitation worker's strike. :sick:

I guess trash must be worse outside our state lines.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the flinging of cigarette butts and the perception by some folks that this is acceptable. Cigarette butts might be the single most discarded item along our roads. Its litter!

What about the flinging of cigarette butts and the perception by some folks that this is acceptable. Cigarette butts might be the single most discarded item along our roads. Its litter!

I agree, and I hate it when someone in front of you throws a cigarette butt out the window when it potentially can hit your car. People should use their ash tray in their cars.

The problem is caused by all the transplants from other states moving here and bringing their bad habits with them. Before all the outsiders moved here, the state was a lot cleaner.

Not trying to put anyone out, but I totally agree. It's amazing how bad it has gotten. Even with adopt-a-road and other programs to help clean up the sides, they go right back to the way they were before. I wish people would take a little more pride in the area and not be so careless. I don't know how many cigarettes I've seen thrown out of a car lately. It's just plan sad :(

When I moved to Ft. Bragg in 2002 I thought the trash on the side of the road in Fayetteville/Cumberland County was the worst I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen anyone picking it up. It probably just gets cut up by the mowers.

As far as the rest of the state goes I don't think its that bad.

If there was an award for abandoned vehicles Fayetteville, NC would win.

Most states still use "Chain-Gangs" for cleanup.

I was glad to see two "chain-gangs" cleaning Rea Rd. in South Charlotte. I saw them both today and yesterday. As somone who moved to Charlotte in the past year, the roadside trash just shocked me. I was glad to see someone picking it up.

I was glad to see two "chain-gangs" cleaning Rea Rd. in South Charlotte. I saw them both today and yesterday. As somone who moved to Charlotte in the past year, the roadside trash just shocked me. I was glad to see someone picking it up.

Do they use people who get excessive speeding tickets 15+ or DUI's to pick up trash in NC? Some places I've lived give them community service as part of their punishment, and they get to pick up trash. Of course they are supervised by someone in the Sheriff's department.

Nah, Spring Lake or Bonnie Doon get that distinction for poor management of residents taking care of their properties.

I have to agree with Spring Lake. But isn't Bonnie Doon part of Fayetteville?

Do they use people who get excessive speeding tickets 15+ or DUI's to pick up trash in NC? Some places I've lived give them community service as part of their punishment, and they get to pick up trash. Of course they are supervised by someone in the Sheriff's department.

The guys I saw were in prison uniforms, with two armed officers per group. Each of the officers had very long rifles over their shoulders. The prisoners picking up trash weren't actually "chained" together either.

I think that's a very generalistic thing to say. NC is undergoing an extreme economic boom that is leading the nation. If it weren't for the " out-of-towners", the state would be nowhere near where it is today. Your statement almost implies that you are being a NIMBY.

I understand where you are coming from saying metro's statement is generalized but... it is true :( . The state was cleaner before people started moving here. Some of it is obviously movers, especially on the southern stretch of 485 where furniture, moving boxes, etc. are obviously falling from the backs of a pick-up truck where they have been precariously and irresponsibly placed. You sometimes see entire recliners or nightstands in the road. I also think to completely attribute NC's economic boom to the transplants moving here for jobs is a bit culturally insensitive as NC and much of the South are, in a big way, responsible for the wonderful economic growth they have been experiencing but, such an involved discussion would take this thread too off topic.

However the problem isn't only attributed to the rise in population. The state has been slacking on its responsibilities. Western Union Co. is pretty clean for the same reason Rea Rd. is pretty clean. You regularly see inmates cleaning the roadsides there. I believe we as residents not only have to take responsibility for our own actions but also take responsibility in not condoning it when our neighbors and friends do it. Perhaps we shouldn't rely solely on the state for the solution and some greater grassroots efforts are necessary.

Sometimes I think we, as a society, love to complain but rarely like to roll up our sleeves and fix. We always seem to want to delegate that responsibility. I for one can say that if I

I browse this board fairly often but this is the first time I've decided to post anything and it's ironic that I found this topic since the subject of road trash has been on my mind A LOT in recent times. I'm not sure if it's one of those things that the more one looks for it the more he finds it or if the problem has well and truly become epidemic, but it's astounded me recently how much trash lies along the roadsides everywhere I go nowadays. It's not like there's a little bit of trash in a spot or two and then none for miles, it's like it's EVERYWHERE and in great quantities; in some instances it's like people literally dump their full trash bags on the sides of the road! I live in a pretty rural area of NC so I can't lay blame for runaway population growth or economic development but I am clearly seeing more road trash than I remember in years past. And it's encouraging that I've seen the types of replies I've seen here for I thought no one but me really gave a hoot about it...

i smoke, and i fling my cigarette out the window. but cars aren't sold with ashtrays anymore. or even cigarette lighters.

what pisses me off is the dude i was riding behind in the brand new mercedes that threw his banana peel out the window. he obviously has some level of decent upbringing to be able to afford a mercedes..i guess the parents neglected to mention the "don't throw your crap out the window part". and yes, i know, the banana peel is more biodegradeable than my cigarette and will decompose more quickly, but it also won't set his seat on fire if he lets it rest until he can stop at the next receptacle. :)

in my work parking lot, people stop their cars and empty them out on the parking lot. bottles, fastfood bags, medical gauze (there is a drug testing company that shares my parking lot...it brings in a lot of thug life).

i think it's part lazy on the litterer, and part lazy on the litterer's parents. because i'm sure these people were never told to just wait until you get home to clean out your bojangles bags, bc noone wants to clean up your crap.

On a good note. I was the second in line stopped at a stoplight in Extreme North Raleigh over the weekend off durant road. And in the car ahead of me a young african-american girl (16ish I guess) in the passenger seat jumped out of her car ran. Across the sidewalk and across some grass to a trashcan which was outside of eatery near the restaurant umbrella seating area. Thew out her soda bottle then ran back to the car. And just in time the light turned green. :D I was left speechless.

There are some non litterers out there left. And I am one of them. :P

Remember if you see someone in the Beautiful State of NC littering on our Roadways here's the "Littebug Hotline" and info.

Report a litterbug by contacting the Office of Beautification Programs at 1-800-331-5864 or on line at: Swat A Litter Bug http://www.doh.dot.state.nc.us/operations/...ug/default.html

Swat A Litterbug Report

Cracking Down On Litterbugs

NC License Plate Number____________________

Date:_______Time:________ County:__________

City:______________Street/Highway:__________

Type of Violation:__________________________

i smoke, and i fling my cigarette out the window. but cars aren't sold with ashtrays anymore. or even cigarette lighters.

what pisses me off is the dude i was riding behind in the brand new mercedes that threw his banana peel out the window. he obviously has some level of decent upbringing to be able to afford a mercedes..i guess the parents neglected to mention the "don't throw your crap out the window part". and yes, i know, the banana peel is more biodegradeable than my cigarette and will decompose more quickly, but it also won't set his seat on fire if he lets it rest until he can stop at the next receptacle. :)

in my work parking lot, people stop their cars and empty them out on the parking lot. bottles, fastfood bags, medical gauze (there is a drug testing company that shares my parking lot...it brings in a lot of thug life).

i think it's part lazy on the litterer, and part lazy on the litterer's parents. because i'm sure these people were never told to just wait until you get home to clean out your bojangles bags, bc noone wants to clean up your crap.

Spend twenty bucks, buy a portable ashtray, and stop calling other people lazy until you stop heaving cigarettes out the window.

Archived