Augusta area hospitals

socaguy

Since Augusta is a leader in the Medical Industry in the Southeast i thought a thread relating to everything Medical in the city would be appropriate.

Augusta has a number of excellent Hospitals including the Medical College of Georgia, Doctors Hospital with its nationally known Burn center, and the Huge University Hospital. Others include St. Josephs Hospital, the 2 VA Hospitals (One Downtown and one Uptown), Eisenhower Medical Center on Fort Gordon, Aiken Regional Medical Centers, and several others (including a new rehab hospital UC ion Walton Way.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I had overheard from nurses when I had to be hospitalized at MCG last summer. Will the renovations at University include exterior renovations? Also, Im glad to see they are getting on the ball with the new school of dentistry at MCG. I had my final 2 wisdom teeth extracted this past Friday there and they SOOO need a new facility. I can imagine it will be quite large, especially with that pricetag...over 100 million!

• 3 weeks later...

The University Hospital will be having a groundbreaking today for it's major expansion and renovation project. It will be the largest expansion the hospital has ever seen and will include a newly expanded cardiology center and an expanded surgical center. Those are just some of the improvements mentioned.

They just cleared a lot across the street from MCG/VA hospitals on 15th street. Not sure what used to be there...maybe the Popeyes chicken? Does anyone know whats going up there?

Also, I drove by the new rehab hospital on Walton Way and they are well underway. The skelton is up and although it is only a 2 floor building, it is larger than I expected.

PJA, was this on the local news or did you read it online somewhere? Id love to know more details on the University Hospital expansion. The Medical District is booming now...I can only imagine what the area will look like in 5-10 years.

PJA, was this on the local news or did you read it online somewhere? Id love to know more details on the University Hospital expansion. The Medical District is booming now...I can only imagine what the area will look like in 5-10 years.

It was actually in the news yesterday. However there are more articles that are availble as of today, and the links are below.

St. Joseph Negotiates, University Expands

Hosptital Puts Heart Into Growth

Funny how the Augusta Chronicle keeps referring to the planned 4 floor cardio center at University a "tower".

I was at MCG today and one of the oral sugeons told me the proposed new School of Dentistry would be where the Kroger shopping center is on 15th street. I guess they will move that Kroger, or get rid of it altogether (Augustas only downtown grocery store :(.

The cleared plot I was talking about earlier was not the Popeyes (which was bought by Payne College I think), but directly across from the main entrance to MCG. Anyone have a clue as to whats going in there???

Funny how the Augusta Chronicle keeps referring to the planned 4 floor cardio center at University a "tower".

I was at MCG today and one of the oral sugeons told me the proposed new School of Dentistry would be where the Kroger shopping center is on 15th street. I guess they will move that Kroger, or get rid of it altogether (Augustas only downtown grocery store :(.

The cleared plot I was talking about earlier was not the Popeyes (which was bought by Payne College I think), but directly across from the main entrance to MCG. Anyone have a clue as to whats going in there???

That's terrible. I can't belive they would put the dentistry school so far away from the rest of the campus.

well, what is going to happen to the old School of Denistry then? Are there any plans for that building once they vacate, or are they still going to use that building somehow for Denistry?

I thought they were just going to renovate the building and maybe expand adjacent to it, but obviously they cant really expand anywhere else but up if they did.

• 2 weeks later...

well, what is going to happen to the old School of Denistry then? Are there any plans for that building once they vacate, or are they still going to use that building somehow for Denistry?

I thought they were just going to renovate the building and maybe expand adjacent to it, but obviously they cant really expand anywhere else but up if they did.

They will still keep the Oral Surgery facilties at that location or at another location adjacent to the hospital. The only thing moving would be the actual School of Dentistry.

This could be years down the road though and things could change, of course.

The Medical College is growing though and land prices along Walton Way DT have skyrocketed...from what Ive heard from a business owner there. Expect lots of more Medical buildings and offices along Walton Way in the not too distant future.

• 8 months later...

Okay, can someone please tell me why the geniuses who run this state want to put another MCG campus in Athens? So far, I'm hearing that want to put another campus out there to attract the rural kids. Yeah, so you put it in metro Atlanta. Very smart idea. It'll be right next to the University of Alpharetta, I mean UGA. If these right-wingers really cared about the rural kids, they would stick this thing down in Valdosta or Albany.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, can someone please tell me why the geniuses who run this state want to put another MCG campus in Athens? So far, I'm hearing that want to put another campus out there to attract the rural kids. Yeah, so you put it in metro Atlanta. Very smart idea. It'll be right next to the University of Alpharetta, I mean UGA. If these right-wingers really cared about the rural kids, they would stick this thing down in Valdosta or Albany.

^ Shortly after I wrote that, I read a lengthy article in the paper that explained the situation pretty well. I understand the situation, but I am still skeptical. Thanks for the information though. One thing: Why can they not increase the size of MCG?

^ Shortly after I wrote that, I read a lengthy article in the paper that explained the situation pretty well. I understand the situation, but I am still skeptical. Thanks for the information though. One thing: Why can they not increase the size of MCG?

First of all, they are increasing the size of the classes either this year or next, but at that point they will be as big as any med school in the country. Augusta's medical community is already pretty strapped for finding more clinical opportunities for students. There are only so many docs in a town that size. Even if MCG were in ATL, they would eventually have to consider another campus.

I understand how possessive and proud the Augusta community is regarding MCG. But a new campus/school is certainly in the best interest of the state and, ultimately, through collaborations, will likely benefit MCG, not hurt it.

I completely understand why MCG is planning a satellite campus in Athens. MCG would not have just spent over 100 million dollars on its 2 new buildings in Augusta if it were going to pick up and move...even if the plans were to move in a decade or so they would not have wasted all that money. Id like to see smaller campuses all over Georgia. It would only heighten the status of the College.

First of all, they are increasing the size of the classes either this year or next, but at that point they will be as big as any med school in the country. Augusta's medical community is already pretty strapped for finding more clinical opportunities for students. There are only so many docs in a town that size. Even if MCG were in ATL, they would eventually have to consider another campus.

I understand how possessive and proud the Augusta community is regarding MCG. But a new campus/school is certainly in the best interest of the state and, ultimately, through collaborations, will likely benefit MCG, not hurt it.

Archived