Orlando 2021

Dcfilmknight

There are many exciting things happening in Orlando right now. We are seeing a building boom downtown, and in other sectors, that is unprecedented in Orlando's history. Highrise condos are being built near suburban centers and in the attractions area, new sports and entertainment venues are proposed that could propel Orlando ahead of existing facilties nationwide, huge planned communities are being planned or are under construction, and many new hotels are proposed (or close to groundbreaking) that will redefine the leisure experience.

However, what will Orlando look like in 15 years? What types of changes, improvements, innovations, or mistakes can we forsee in architecture, transportation, leisure, etc. that will affect Orlando residents in the year 2021?

Will what downtown look like?

calo-def.jpg

3407wz.jpg

What type of exciting entertainment centers will we see?

gshsk1.jpg

What type of parks and recreation centers?

136_01b.jpg

Will International Drive be transformed or will another area emerge as Orlando's "strip"?

Nanjing1.jpg

What kind of new hotels can we expect? Will themed hotels catch on, or will upscale hotels dominate the market?

A.jpg

How about the convention center and surrounding area?

ZiweiMall3.jpg

New arena(s) and stadium)s) or refurbished facilities?

3Modellfoto460.jpg

Vegas style entertainment centers?

l1563608.jpg

New theme parks or updating of current parks?

slide0125.jpg

Will we see entertainment or business offerings from high rollers such Donald Trump or Steve Wynn?

2104dd3b.jpg

What do you see?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Metro Orlando surpassing Tampa Bay as the 2nd largest metro in FL. I also see Orlando getting another pro sports team, the freeway system greatly upgraded, more development, theme parks, etc. Last but not least, Orlando will still do a good job of catering to a younger crowd as well as families.

What is that beautiful project under "What kind of new hotels can we expect? Will themed hotels catch on, or will upscale hotels dominate the market?" and where is it planned for?!

That is a hotel that was once planned for Las Vegas. The design is pretty amazing!

Agreed about the transportation. The type of city Orlando becomes is directly related to mass transit. As excited about downtown as I am, there is already a lot of lost potential to I-Drive and other areas that could have made downtown 20 years ahead of its current status. All this talk of a research corridor, expanding out by Disney, etc., only reminds me that Central Florida's leaders, aside from a few, are not concerned with improving the existing fabric of the city/region, only expanding outward. This has to change immediately and the only way I can see that happening is through a multi-modal transit system.

Orlando needs to work on transportation more right now than to keep sprawling.

I agree if we don't implement a mass transit system soon this growth will stop dead in it's tracks. I'd like to see a city where you can walk around to get where you need to go.

I agree if we don't implement a mass transit system soon this growth will stop dead in it's tracks. I'd like to see a city where you can walk around to get where you need to go.

It's interesting that the most visited city in the nation does not have an effecient and effective transportation system (highway and mass transit) for its visitors and residents. Ironically, Orlando has had one of the world's most reliable monorail systems operating on its doorstep, yet it can't create one of its own.

^ Yeah, not to mention Chicago, New York City, Hong Kong... :rolleyes:

My prediction is that the FAA is going to enforce a new arbitrary height limit of 224 feet, forcing anything above that height to be either demolished or shaved by a futuristic "building shaver".

That's the Orlando of 2021. :shok:

I-Drive has the potential. It just needs a cohesive redevelopment plan.

Lots of hotels on I-Drive need to be torn down and be rebuilt with towers. I just wish there was a way to expand I-Drive from 2 lanes to 3. Oh and some light rail would be a major boost.

Would Orlando downtown vibrancy exceed the South Beach of today in 2021? where would downtown highrise expand since we only have a narrow strip along orange for "supertall"? most side of downtown are locked by historical or expensive neighbourhood.

• 2 months later...

Orlando will be a 3,000,000+ metro, like Houston, maybe our "tallest" will be outside downtown, maybe in Millenia? I believe Orlando will be the #2 metro in Florida and probably adding eastern Polk, Volusia, Brevard and maybe even Marion to the metro area...Lots of big highways, probably some sort of mass transit. A continuous skyline from US 27 through downtown, probably a lot of older I drive buildings torn down and replaced by new towers and probably some sort of major new industry, maybe related to the medical school plans...still a premium place to live...

Orlando will be a 3,000,000+ metro, like Houston, maybe our "tallest" will be outside downtown, maybe in Millenia? I believe Orlando will be the #2 metro in Florida and probably adding eastern Polk, Volusia, Brevard and maybe even Marion to the metro area...Lots of big highways, probably some sort of mass transit. A continuous skyline from US 27 through downtown, probably a lot of older I drive buildings torn down and replaced by new towers and probably some sort of major new industry, maybe related to the medical school plans...still a premium place to live...

East Polk is already beginning to be swallowed up by Orlando.

East Polk is already beginning to be swallowed up by Orlando.

Very true. Also, Osceola County has a lot of potential to become a major population center in the next 20 years (if planned correctly).

Some of the things I would also like to see for Orlando in the next few years are:

1. Some type of mass transportation link between MCO and the tourist areas (linking also with downtown).

2. More new "cities" developed along the lines of Avalon Park and Celebration.

3. Orlando to become more a hub for space related industries. Maybe MCO could be become the USA's first International Airport and Tourist/ Commercial Spaceport?

4. Orange County and Orlando officials to develop a "Master Plan" for Orlando. One of the world's finest planned developments is right on our doorstep (Disney). Greater Orlando could really benefit from emulating that type of forward thinking.

Very true. Also, Osceola County has a lot of potential to become a major population center in the next 20 years (if planned correctly).

Some of the things I would also like to see for Orlando in the next few years are:

1. Some type of mass transportation link between MCO and the tourist areas (linking also with downtown).

2. More new "cities" developed along the lines of Avalon Park and Celebration.

3. Orlando to become more a hub for space related industries. Maybe MCO could be become the USA's first International Airport and Tourist/ Commercial Spaceport?

4. Orange County and Orlando officials to develop a "Master Plan" for Orlando. One of the world's finest planned developments is right on our doorstep (Disney). Greater Orlando could really benefit from emulating that type of forward thinking.

I'm thinking Orlando will be a lot like Los Angeles. Multicentric. Traffic. Sprawling. Basically more of the same.

Archived