Which Southeastern City Would Respond Best to Light Rail?

nowyano

Southern Light Rail  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Southeastern Cities

• Birmingham, AL
    • Columbia, SC
    • Columbus, GA
    • Greensville, SC
    • Jacksonville, MS
    • Mobile, AL
    • Montgomery, AL
    • Savannah, GA
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Other (explain below)

I did not include New Orleans as it has Trolleys, Atlanta as it has the MARTA, Tampa Bay because it has Trolleys. Keep in mind this isn't which of these cities would do well with LR it is which, if any of these cities would support the system..

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you change the Greensville option to Greenville? Thanks!

With the large area of sprawl in the Upstate of SC, I could easily see Greenville latching onto such a thing. We have had plans in the works for years, but nothing serious has yet come to fruition. Even a single line from Mauldin to Downtown Greenville would be great! :shades:

This one is kinda tough. The question isn't which city would benefit the most from light rail, but which would respond best to light rail, or rather a proposal for light rail. I think I would probably have to say Jacksonville from this bunch. Since the city is consolidated with the county, it wouldn't have as much wrestling to do with outside municipalities as some of the others would.

*OK, do we mean Jacksonville, FL or Jackson, MS here? I'm confused; there is no Jacksonville in Mississippi that I'm aware of.*

If we're speaking of the city in Mississippi, then maybe I'd have to go with Birmingham.

One the list, I would say Birmingham.

But here in New Orleans, there are plans to have LRT lines running through the city, and eventually connecting downtown with the airport, the suburbs on the northshore of Lake Ponchartrain, and having a commuter rail line connecting the city to Baton Rouge to the west, and possibly connecting the city to the Mississippi Coast to the east.

Here is a map(somewhat hard to see) showing the plans for LRT and commuter rail in the city.

lightrailinneworleans5uk.png

The Hampton Roads area is bigger than all of the cities/metros listed here.

Agreed, it's like we are too far north to be considered south anymore :unsure:

Richmond Virginia would probably do good too. With the main hub at Main Street Station, going all over downtown. They didnt give Shockoe Bottom and Church Hill those names for nothing :lol:

to all the people from Jackson, MS and Greenville, SC I apologize profusley...I will change the names in the poll as soon as I figure out how to...I did not put Jacksonville, FL on b/c they have a monorail the cities I chose have no public transit to speak of...

Agreed, it's like we are too far north to be considered south anymore :unsure:

Richmond Virginia would probably do good too. With the main hub at Main Street Station, going all over downtown. They didnt give Shockoe Bottom and Church Hill those names for nothing :lol:

i didn't include any VA or NC metros in this list b/c in my mind the South does not start until SC...sorry just this poster's opinion...

^Wow. What maps have you been looking at? LOL

always been my opinion, in my mind if your state has the word North in it, it is not in the South and by the same logic Virginia being north of North Carolina would make it not south by default, of course I also consider Kentucky to be in the Midwest so I'm just weird....

i didn't include any VA or NC metros in this list b/c in my mind the South does not start until SC...sorry just this poster's opinion...

Excuse me?

Urbanplanet recognizes the Tar Heel and Old Dominion states as the south. You will always hear southern accents and be around southern culture in both NC & VA. How much more southern can the deep south states be?

Your not weird but your opinion will be certainly be questioned/commented by other forumers.

always been my opinion, in my mind if your state has the word North in it, it is not in the South and by the same logic Virginia being north of North Carolina would make it not south by default, of course I also consider Kentucky to be in the Midwest so I'm just weird....

Well, by that logic, South Dakota belongs in the South and West Virginia belongs in the West.

Hah! No offense to anyone from North Carolina, but have you heard the southern accent in that area? The people in northwest Arkansas sound less southern than people from North Carolina!

I know it's hard to picture VA as the south. Even I still have a hard time with that sometimes, but fact is, they're still a southern state.

And Kentucky is definitely southern, not midwestern. Again, ever heard those people talk? No offense to anyone... I'm from the TX/LA border area, so you can only imagine what a hick I sound like sometimes!! :D

Archived