Which Southeastern City Would Respond Best to Light Rail?

nowyano

Southern Light Rail  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Southeastern Cities

• Birmingham, AL
    • Columbia, SC
    • Columbus, GA
    • Greensville, SC
    • Jacksonville, MS
    • Mobile, AL
    • Montgomery, AL
    • Savannah, GA
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Other (explain below)

i didn't include any VA or NC metros in this list b/c in my mind the South does not start until SC...sorry just this poster's opinion...

In this poster's opinion...

South = Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Northern Georgia (Atlanta and up)

Deep South = Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Southern Georgia, Northern Florida

Southern only in terms of geography = Southern Florida

This is in terms of geography, but also in terms of culture. To me, there are definitely different "feels" overall between the south and deep south. Neither one is better than the other, but they are different.

I am never sure where to put Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. They all feel Southern to me though.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

always been my opinion, in my mind if your state has the word North in it, it is not in the South and by the same logic Virginia being north of North Carolina would make it not south by default, of course I also consider Kentucky to be in the Midwest so I'm just weird....

Wow, there goes his credibility. :rofl:

Getting away from the regional debate,

I agree with many others that Norfolk/Hampton Roads would benefit well. But since Charlotte was disqualified for already having an LRT project progressing perhaps Norfolk should be too. Norfolk's LRT isn't u/c yet but it is on the FTA's green light list.

Perhaps this poll is more of a "what new places should start planning these things" question.

Live in Greenville now, but have lived in Birmingham, and gotta vote Birmingham here. The density is there to support lightrail and the traffic is a major headache! Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson being such a sprawling region, I see communter rail as a more viable option.

Archived